Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times

Advertisements

I lived in coastal NH in the mid 80s very close to the Maine border (I can see Maine out my window...)

It's very different than CO. Winter is very long and cold. The old joke was there were 2 seasons - winter and July 4. Once the snow starts, it stays on the ground until April or May and doesn't melt in a day or two as it does here in CO. There's no question coastal Maine is very scenic. There's the ocean and forests. You can look at the ocean, but you can't go in it as the water temp never rises above the low 60s. Portland is a cutesy town and if you're coming from San Diego, you should be able to afford pretty much anything there, short of a house right on or overlooking the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I disagree with the "there's no geographic cure" comment. I believe there is. There are places I've been where I feel "at one" and "at peace" with the world. It's hard to explain, but it's real.

In my experience, "on paper" Colorado should be it for me. But when I go to this state's more beautiful places, I see something very pretty, but I don't feel its soul, and quite frankly that leaves me completely disappointed.

OP, I think you should go spend a week in each place, and then go with your heart. No low COL or low taxes will get quench your thirst for life in a beautiful place.
No there is no geographic cure from what I have seen. Other places and a change of scene can help but if you have issues within yourself, then moving isn't going to fix that.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Well, Maine gives you a greener experience with more trees as you said. Colorado is mostly a brown terrain except for a few locations in the mountains.

The nice thing about Colorado is large, rugged mountains all over the state with amazing scenery and the great mountain experience. Seasons in Colorado are okay. Winters are a very different experience depending on which part of Colorado you're in. They can be cold and very snowy, or they can be not-so-cold and very little snow. Springs and Falls tend to be short. Summers are fairly long and rather hot.

Colorado is dry. Dry, dry dry. Dry air. Dry land. Very little humidity.

If you're into fishing you might be disappointed. In my opinion, the fishing experience is not particularly good in Colorado. For reasons why, search my previous posts where I explain in great detail.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
No there is no geographic cure from what I have seen. Other places and a change of scene can help but if you have issues within yourself, then moving isn't going to fix that.
First sentence I still disagree with. Second sentence I do.

There is a paradise out there for everybody. You just need to find it....there's nowhere you long for?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
My brain tells me go to CO, but my heart is set on Maine.... I am almost 40 and live only by my heart is silly, but my being wanting leaves and forests, proximity to ocean. I am lost in CA for many years, and still in search what would I like. I have visited Colorado many times, mostly in winters and falls. I am torn.
My wife and I, prior to marriage, spent 2yrs of long distance relationship building...me in CO, she in Camden ME.

Maine was new and exciting for a while, but after spending 2 yrs there off and on through all seasons, I quickly realized it's not the place for me. Coastal Maine is beautiful, but inconsistent. Far less sunshine, shorter summers, longer winters, and too much precip for my liking. Not much going on, either...which may or may not matter depending on the person.

It is relatively quiet, unspoiled, and very affordable...which we loved...but the major catch is that you have to endure a lot fewer amenties, very long winters, and a lousy job market if you need to make money to survive. Not to mention it's severely lacking in diversity outside of Portland, if that's important to you. Also, for me to get there was a full day of travel...not fun.

Your results may vary...don't take my word for it. It's important to put boots to the ground and check it out for yourself.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
I grew up on the coast of Massachusetts. I moved to WY in the early 1990s, then to CO in 2001. No contest: I'll never live in New England again.

My SO is from San Diego. He would never live there again either.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Add: Camden, Maine, can no longer be considered affordable. At all.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Add: Camden, Maine, can no longer be considered affordable. At all.
Compared to Boulder County, acreage around Knox County and away from the coast was very affordable...we had our eye on a nice 2500sq ft house, 4 car detached garage/shop and 60 pastoral acres with partial woodlot for $389k...that's easily a $2M plus proposition anywhere around here.

The number of places on the market out there was pretty alarming...either speculative buyers hit by the recession and/or folks who moved to Maine based on a fantasy and then got smacked with the reality of what it's really like to live there year-round.

If it weren't for the weather and the economy out there, we would have done it...

Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,279 times
Visit Colorado in the Spring and you will not longer be torn! Most beautiful sights you'll ever see...promise! Besides, doesn't Maine have Mudd!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:01 PM

79 posts, read 143,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyaamaro View Post
Visit Colorado in the Spring and you will not longer be torn! Most beautiful sights you'll ever see...promise! Besides, doesn't Maine have Mudd!!!
Spring is when most of the residential RE peddlars get a lot of their work done. "Aren't those foothills green and lovely? They're like that most of the year!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: