Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

I think if you are looking to escape the "crazy cost of living" in Tahoe you are going to end up with worse in Colorado.

For a decent 4 bedroom detached house in any decent bedroom ski town I think you are probably looking at 650k or so. However since I last looked prices might have come down at bit.

Granby I guess could be an option but I haven't looked at prices there for 15 years. Realistically though, it's nearly a 2 hour drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Nederland

Nederland, CO would fit your criteria. It is less than 30 minutes due west of Boulder, up the canyon. In distance to DIA it might well fall within your 1.5 hour window. Moreover it is a fairly easy and direct drive down a moderate canyon, thence in a straight shot on US 36, I-270, I-70. Alternately, if from Ft. Collins paying the cost of E-470 from I-25 makes for a quick trip. I haven't tried it from US 36, but it appears the Northwest Pkwy is nearly complete to US 36, and might prove a feasible route as well.

Nederland IS a small town. You'll find some tourists there in the summer as they offer arts and crafts, and the place has a relaxing bohemian air. Perhaps more than anyplace else in Colorado it might be termed the last refuge of hippies, and in the best possible sense. It is a nice place, still small and not overrun perhaps because somewhat remote, and if in the mountains and a beautiful setting, not as magnificently scenic as a place such as Estes Park.

But it does offer a small ski area, Eldora, right in its backyard. Forget 30 minutes, it will only take you a few minutes to get to the slopes. I haven't skied there in some time, but it probably remains much the same: a small, local place with a decent if limited hill. They did, and likely still do, offer night skiing. The only real drawback is the longer drive if wishing the size of ski areas in Summit County, in either driving through Boulder, or no less time in due south through Black Hawk.

It is entirely possible to buy real estate at your given price point. Half that if willing to accept the more modest which is often common. Close to the $400,000 stipulated if desiring more space.

Presumably local work will not be an issue, because if it is it will be. Possible, but it would be a challenge. Probably more of a factor if you like the ambience, or not. The closest resemblance to Tahoe is a certain laid back attitude, and in being within mountains, which are lovely but dissimilar. The ski resorts of Summit County and elsewhere would come closer to matching the activity and overall feeling of Tahoe you might on reflection miss. But if it suites you then Nederland could be the place you happily call home, with fellow neighbors in agreement.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Nederland, CO would fit your criteria. It is less than 30 minutes due west of Boulder, up the canyon. In distance to DIA it might well fall within your 1.5 hour window. Moreover it is a fairly easy and direct drive down a moderate canyon, thence in a straight shot on US 36, I-270, I-70. Alternately, if from Ft. Collins paying the cost of E-470 from I-25 makes for a quick trip. I haven't tried it from US 36, but it appears the Northwest Pkwy is nearly complete to US 36, and might prove a feasible route as well.
But it does offer a small ski area, Eldora, right in its backyard. Forget 30 minutes, it will only take you a few minutes to get to the slopes. I haven't skied there in some time, but it probably remains much the same: a small, local place with a decent if limited hill. They did, and likely still do, offer night skiing. The only real drawback is the longer drive if wishing the size of ski areas in Summit County, in either driving through Boulder, or no less time in due south through Black Hawk.
The NW Parkway was completed several years ago. It takes a little more than an hour to drive to DIA from Nederland. I've made it in an hour with no traffic.
Eldora is a wonderful ski area - I ski there twice a week and have for the past 11 years. No, it's not a big resort (thank goodness). Night skiing is no longer offered. There have been many improvements to lifts, trails and services in the past few years.
As for getting to the Summit County ski resorts and others, there is no need to drive through Boulder. The Peak to Peak to Central City Parkway is the quickest/easiest way to get to I-70. It's an hour and a half to Winter Park, an hour 45 min. to Copper Mountain, 2 hours to Vail.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:51 PM

33 posts, read 65,031 times
Isn't Clear Creek County really close to the Loveland ski area?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptboat67 View Post
Isn't Clear Creek County really close to the Loveland ski area?
Considering that it IS in Clear Creek County, I'd say so.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
To find what you're looking for, you'll need to go someplace like Idaho or Montana, which are cheaper than Colorado.
^ Barely if at all. In western Montana or north Idaho these types of properties are really pretty outrageously priced, but the market dictates the prices. Eastern Montana has island mountain ranges and there are a few small ski areas and the prices of places close to those may be much lower.
Keep in mind though, we spent the winter in Conrad Montana and we had 31 F below zero (not with wind chill) three weeks before winter even started !

Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 PM

91 posts, read 245,333 times
I have been to Tahoe and used to live in Nederland. I think they are similar but Nederland is much more layed back without the "total resort area" vibe. I think Nederland is heaven on earth and would still live there however we had to "follow the $$ trail with my husband's job so had to move somewhere else in Colorado for now. One tip...if you are not pretty liberal with progressive ideology I doubt this town would be for you but if that sounds like you check it out. I know that you can still find homes there from 270K-385K and be pretty happy with what you get for that. Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Well, such a town exists in colorado, but the cost of living there is going to be comparable to Tahoe, isn't it? To find what you're looking for, you'll need to go someplace like Idaho or Montana, which are cheaper than Colorado.
MT ski towns like Whitefish, Red Lodge and Big Sky are hardly cheaper than here in CO. I know, I've lived there.

There are places like Avon, Edwards, Granby and Winter Park where the prices aren't too bad. But it's pie in the sky - for jobs. Unless you are bringing one with you.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM

279 posts, read 673,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Granby I guess could be an option but I haven't looked at prices there for 15 years. Realistically though, it's nearly a 2 hour drive.
Granby is definitely an option. Small mountain town but with most conveniences, easily find a 4 bedroom home for $400K, Sol Vista skiing area is actually in Granby and Winter Park which is a larger resort is 20 minutes away, and that also includes Mary Jane, another mountain but within Winter Park.

But wanneroo is correct, DIA is more like 2 hours, may only be 86 miles but you must go over Berthoud Pass which slows you down.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 31,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm09595 View Post
I have been doing a ton of searching to try to find the perfect mountain town and need some help. We are looking for a small mountain town within 30min of skiing and less than 1.5hrs from DEN. The "kicker" is that we want to find someplace reasonably affordable (ie 4bdrm less than $400K). We currently live in the Tahoe area and are looking to move due to the crazy cost of living out here. ANY suggestions you can shoot my way would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
May I suggest the corridor along US285 that goes West Southwest out of Denver's SW corner. Much more affordable than the 70 corridor, you have to go north to the ski resorts but it's not that bad, depend on weather might be longer than 30 min but not much.

Up by Winter Park as another writer suggested is also a good place to hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado