Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
Interesting history. Out of curiosity - what were the cheaper and more practical alternatives?
There was an alternative route that would have taken I-70 southwest a few miles west of Gypsum, over an area locallly known as "Cottonwood", coming out on CO 82 between Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. The bypass built in the last few years connecting West Glenwood to CO 82 at the south end of Glenwood pretty much follows the proposed alignment of I-70 through town. The alternative route would have cost only a fraction as much to build.

Two groups vehmently opposed the alternative alignment that would have avoided Glenwood Canyon. One was the trucking industry, because the alternative involved some moderate upgrades and downgrades that going through the canyon avoided. The other--quite stupidly, in my opinion--were the town fathers of Glenwood Springs, who felt that routing I-70 on the alternative route would "bypass" Glenwood Springs. Instead, using the Glenwood Canyon routing, I-70--with all its noise, dirt, exhaust, etc.--rips right through the middle of Glenwood Springs. That required basically re-aligning the Colorado River out of its original channel in Glenwood Springs, required relocation of the railroad just west of downtown almost all the way to Newcastle, put the Interstate (with all the aforementioned problems) right next to the town's grand jewel Hot Springs Lodge and Pool. All of that in addition to completely changing the character of Glenwood Canyon from what it was, despite all the tens upon tens of millions of taxpayer dollars spent to try to build that monstrosity "sensitively" to the environment. It was more "sensitive" all right, sort of like an atom bomb might be more "sensitive" to the environment than a hydrogen bomb.

As to Cosmic's comment about taking the train instead--if I have the chance, I do. Then you can look at that monstrosity of a highway from the other side of the canyon--which makes the road's ugliness far more apparent, and you can compare the minimal impact of the railroad right-of-way in the canyon compared to the huge negative visual impact of the Interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There was an alternative route that would have taken I-70 southwest a few miles west of Gypsum, over an area locallly known as "Cottonwood", coming out on CO 82 between Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. The bypass built in the last few years connecting West Glenwood to CO 82 at the south end of Glenwood pretty much follows the proposed alignment of I-70 through town. The alternative route would have cost only a fraction as much to build.
Interesting - thanks! Were there any alternative routes for the Eisenhower Tunnel?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Interesting - thanks! Were there any alternative routes for the Eisenhower Tunnel?
Loveland Pass

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Quote:
Not sure about the tunnel itself but there was a plan to go through what is now the Eagles Nest Wilderness:
Highways to the Sky — CDOT
While designing the Eisenhower Tunnel, controversies erupted over how to build the portions over Vail Pass and Glenwood Canyon. The route of US 6 over Vail Pass has a distinctive "V" shape. Initially engineers thought they could shorten the route of I-70 by about 10 miles (16 km) by tunneling from Gore Creek to South Willow Creek, an alternative known as the Red Buffalo Tunnel.[20] This alternative sparked a nationwide controversy as it would require an easement across federally protected lands, through what is now called the Eagles Nest Wilderness. After the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture refused to grant the easement, the engineers agreed to follow the existing route across Vail Pass. The engineers added infrastructure to accommodate wildlife, and had significant portions of the viaducts constructed offsite and lifted in place to minimize the environmental footprint.[20]

Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
jazzlover wrote:
As to Cosmic's comment about taking the train instead--if I have the chance, I do. Then you can look at that monstrosity of a highway from the other side of the canyon--which makes the road's ugliness far more apparent, and you can compare the minimal impact of the railroad right-of-way in the canyon compared to the huge negative visual impact of the Interstate.
Heading home to Grand Junction, I passed thru Glenwood Canyon on amtrak just yesterday. I am inclined to agree....I'd rather look at that monstrosity of a highway from the other side of the canyon. Well actually, I'd rather not even look at it.....period!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-20-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I have to disagree. I have been on I-70 many times and think that it is a "modern marvel". I love driving through all the tunnels and love how the massive bridges look through Glenwood Canyon. That is why I want them to up grade highway 50 in the same way as it would really help the economy of southern Colorado.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to disagree. I have been on I-70 many times and think that it is a "modern marvel". I love driving through all the tunnels and love how the massive bridges look through Glenwood Canyon. That is why I want them to up grade highway 50 in the same way as it would really help the economy of southern Colorado.

That's because you value the ugly works of man more than you do the majesty of God's creations in nature. That is your loss, and it is why we CAN NOT let people like you control the future of this state. If you want to go to a modern marvel and go through a tunnel, go to Disney World and ride some amusement park ride.

PS--I will fight tooth-and-nail any effort to four-lane US 50 through the Arkansas River Canyon and perpetrate the same kind of destruction that has occurred in the I-70 corridor. To build that would be stupid, ignorant, and with complete disregard of the qualities that endear Colorado to so many.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That's because you value the ugly works of man more than you do the majesty of God's creations in nature. That is your loss, and it is why we CAN NOT let people like you control the future of this state. If you want to go to a modern marvel and go through a tunnel, go to Disney World and ride some amusement park ride.

PS--I will fight tooth-and-nail any effort to four-lane US 50 through the Arkansas River Canyon and perpetrate the same kind of destruction that has occurred in the I-70 corridor. To build that would be stupid, ignorant, and with complete disregard of the qualities that endear Colorado to so many.
I am sure there were people who tried to stop the up grade of I-70 just like there will be people who will try and stop the up grade of highway 50 and the state of Colorado will just have to over come them too.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am sure there were people who tried to stop the up grade of I-70 just like there will be people who will try and stop the up grade of highway 50 and the state of Colorado will just have to over come them too.
And wreck the state some more.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Another thread turned to hell...

To the OP, you'll be fine, it's a good fast drive, there is a long tunnel and grade changes, beautiful scenery. Have fun. You can check Colorado road conditions here:

CDOT Home Page (http://www.dot.state.co.us/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado