U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 23,296 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a soon to be single Mom with a head still spinning from this unexpected event. I have 2 kids (3years and 6 months) and am a stay home Mom. We have been living in Texas, but I am from the Seattle area. I am currently staying with family in Nederland. I really want to be close to family here since that is my only support system. I'm wondering if it's possible. We have no assets and child support will be minimal. Are there places to rent here? Is there low income housing? What about places for inexpensive food (the people we are staying with buy organic everything and I KNOW we can't afford that). In a perfect world, I'd like to stay home one more year and do some kind of work from home so the baby isn't in daycare... then maybe go back to school. I heard that UC Boulder has family housing.

Any advice? Is there ANY way to do this, or do I need to just go find a place somewehere in the US with a low cost of living and give up the idea of having a support system around?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM

431 posts, read 2,649,735 times
I don't know how much help I am except that I know that Boulder, school, housing etc is not inexpensive. It is quite high comparably to some other places. Of that I am sure. My Grand daughter was in Greeley and then to Boulder and the difference in money was substantial. As to any suggestion, the only one I have might be, to look into Pueblo. Cost of housing and school is about the lowest in the state. There is a Community College and Colorado State University, Pueblo campus there. I have been told that the cost of higher education is going up, every where. If by chance you are Hispanic, I know there are good programs for Hispanic there. Worth checking out, I believe. Pueblo is more on the plains. About 45 miles from the mountains but quite visible.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:30 PM

346 posts, read 1,481,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasjm View Post
Hello everyone. I am a soon to be single Mom with a head still spinning from this unexpected event. I have 2 kids (3years and 6 months) and am a stay home Mom. We have been living in Texas, but I am from the Seattle area. I am currently staying with family in Nederland. I really want to be close to family here since that is my only support system. I'm wondering if it's possible. We have no assets and child support will be minimal. Are there places to rent here? Is there low income housing? What about places for inexpensive food (the people we are staying with buy organic everything and I KNOW we can't afford that). In a perfect world, I'd like to stay home one more year and do some kind of work from home so the baby isn't in daycare... then maybe go back to school. I heard that UC Boulder has family housing.

Any advice? Is there ANY way to do this, or do I need to just go find a place somewehere in the US with a low cost of living and give up the idea of having a support system around?

Thank you!
I am so sorry to hear of your current situation. I know cost of living in Texas is far less than Colorado. However, I do feel that having support from family is important. I don't know what your background is, but I have two friends who work at home doing medical transcripts. I looked into it myself, as I also would like to be home with my kids, but for me the medical field wouldn't really be my cup of tea. The pay is quite good, though. (I am a teacher, now doing a job-share which allows me to be home part-time) I worked full-time when my twins were babies, and was lucky enough to have a wonderful, caring nanny (who is now a friend) come to my house each day. It still was heart-breaking to leave my children each day, but I was thankful that I didn't have to wake them up to be dropped off at a day-care facility. I will be thinking of you and hoping this all works out for you and your children.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:55 PM

11,374 posts, read 47,145,895 times
"living frugually" ... ie, cheaply ... in the Colorado mountains is tough enough to do with the regular jobs/incomes available up there for one person.

trying to do it in an expensive area such as Boulder county is probably impossible on a modest income from support and whatever social services you can qualify for.

the biggest obstacles will be cheap housing (which I don't believe exists where you're at in Nederland anymore), and the burden of utilities and travel costs for required items, medical care, etc. Wintertime will be especially brutual, financially speaking.

I'd suggest that you find a less expensive area to settle into until you can generate an income that will allow you to live in Nederland/Boulder. I think you can do so if you're willing to move East, onto the plains area. You'd have a much lower cost of living, family services, and could still visit your relations in Nederland without too much difficulty. Perhaps Greeley?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM

505 posts, read 2,026,750 times
Default hang in there

Just want to say that my husband traveled for weeks at a time, and I lived for years away from any family. We still are far, but much closer. If your family is close by, stay and try to make it work. It's so important to have that support, and with your children as young as they are, you'll need support more than money.

Try to tap into any assistance you can get. Colorado seems like a much nicer place to live than Texas. There are good things about being in an affluent area too. The Goodwill stores are full of much better stuff, the schools are probably better (very important). I know you can do it!

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,146,708 times
Check on Craigslist for rentals and ask around. In a place like Nederland, property values are outrageous but you might find some rents that are fairly reasonable. Many landlords are much more interested in finding a responsible, steady tenant who will take good care of their mountain getaway than they are in maximizing rental income.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,053,348 times
If you get along with your family, talk it all out and see if you can stay till you get back on your feet. Family is important. Have faith, you can choose to live cheeply if you want to , but you might have to cut back on everything you are used to .

Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 23,296 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your advice and support. There are some very kind people here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado