Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,045 times

Advertisements

How do u like living in CO? And is it pretty much what u expected? Whereabouts in CO did u settle? Can u give me the good with the bad? Also, do u plan on staying there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 PM

119 posts, read 705,825 times
Hey sillygal!! Where have you been? I'm not there yet so I can't tell you much. I would be interested in hearing some of these answers too.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:59 PM

52 posts, read 398,954 times
My family just moved here to Colorado last week. We moved to northern Colorado Springs from the midwest (Indiana) So far it seems like an okay place but I have to warn you...it is EXPENSIVE to live here. Our home and auto insurance is higher here as well as housing. The same size of home we had in Indiana is almost double the price here. Other than that , it seems like there is lots to do here.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,078 times
May I ask what type of home and $?

Old 08-07-2006, 05:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camesquibel
My family just moved here to Colorado last week. We moved to northern Colorado Springs from the midwest (Indiana) So far it seems like an okay place but I have to warn you...it is EXPENSIVE to live here. Our home and auto insurance is higher here as well as housing. The same size of home we had in Indiana is almost double the price here. Other than that , it seems like there is lots to do here.
I believe you, but for us it was the other way around. The new house we have here for $557k would've been twice that in the DC area where we came from - Fairfax County. We came here to have a retirement home we just could not afford back east (or FL, NV, CA, etc).

I've shopped all over the country on the realtor site (Canada too when they offered those listings) and there are very low prices in remote or sparse rural areas all over the midwest, as that region continues to empty out as people move to urban areas. But among major cities, especially coastal ones, the Front Range of Colorado is a major bargain, and people are coming here from all over because of that.

s/Mike

Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 AM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
I lived in Colorado (Springs) for 5 years. Coming from northern Minnesota, the houses seemed expensive to me, but as Mike mentioned, they're a real bargain compared to places like San Fran or DC. Just depends on your perspective, I guess. I would say the front range (I-25 corridor) housing market overall is still pretty fair in relation to the wages. Most middle class folks can find a decent, middle class home in a decent, middle class neighborhood. A few places in Colorado (i.e., Boulder, Aspen) are too expensive for most "regular" people, but, at least for now, there's still a lot to choose from.

With growth comes the obvious good (more job/schooling opportunities, more places to shop/eat, more diverse and interesting population) and bad (more overcrowding, more traffic, more crime.)

The scenery and abundance of outdoor opportunities are hard to beat. The climate is generally dry and sunny but you still get a taste for all 4 seasons. Sometime the weather can be a bit wild (higher than average amounts of hail, for example...one reason the auto insurance is so expensive) but it never lasts too long. As they say in Colorado, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes

I ended up moving back to my home state due to personal reasons and preferences, but I really did enjoy living there and miss it a lot sometimes.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,323 times
My family and I recently moved to louisville from New Orleans. It is about 10 miles south of Boulder. i wish we had moved sooner. It is everything I wished for and more. The boulder county schools are great and the quality of life is second to none. i would highly reccomend colorado!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 AM

169 posts, read 672,549 times
Default Worth it

We just moved here from the New Orleans area as well (actually from an area on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain) to Fort Collins. I agree with the above poster - we should have moved years ago. Climate, activities, better overall city planning (at least better than anything I have ever experienced in LA), quality of life, etc make CO well worth the move. There are some downsides, the DMV here in Ft Collins makes that list - but the good outweighs the bad many times over. The only thing that I see as problematic is I-25 (if you have to commute) depending on where you live. I nice light rail system from Pueblo to Cheyenne/Fort Collins would do the trick. Luckily, I am able to telecommute and avoid the whole thing.

If you want any additional information I'd be happy to post more on the topic from my perspective...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado