Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times

Advertisements

Why or what made you choose Paonia out of all of the possibles?
You seem to know very little about the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver143 View Post
I am considering relocating from florida...i have lived here my entire life and the humidity and mosquitoes have finally gotten the best of me...and, i want a life do-over! Is Paonia considered part of the western slope? how hot does it get in the summer, and how cold in the winter? do you need 4-wheel drive? how much snow? are the town-folk friendly to outsiders? are there nice (not million-dollar) homes for sale? any information/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I considered Paonia when I retired from Arkansas and wanted to move to the western slope to be close to family. I'm glad I decided against it. I agree with Jazzlover's comments. It's pretty country, some of the prettiest I've seen, and it's nice to VISIT. Live there? No. But since the OP original post was 2 years ago, he either moved or didn't.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver143 View Post
I am considering relocating from florida...i have lived here my entire life and the humidity and mosquitoes have finally gotten the best of me...and, i want a life do-over! Is Paonia considered part of the western slope? how hot does it get in the summer, and how cold in the winter? do you need 4-wheel drive? how much snow? are the town-folk friendly to outsiders? are there nice (not million-dollar) homes for sale? any information/advice would be appreciated.
Tell us more about why you're looking at Paonia and your employment situation.

IMO you might be better off in Grand Junction, to the west, which is a big enough city to have everything you need nearby. We have a lot of threads on GJ that will answer most of your questions.

GJ will get hot in summer, but the climate is one of low humidity and is quite tolerable compared to the dog days one gets in the east and southeastern USA. Won't be many bugs there, by comparison.

I doubt you'd need 4wd in GJ but probably would in Paonia. We have a number of people on here who live in GJ and post often, they can attest to the weather in GJ, which sits amid and near some great scenery.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Default Bloomberg Business Week Article on Paonia

There's an interesting article in this week's Bloomberg Business Week magazine on Paonia, the North Fork Valley and oil and gas fracking.

The Fight Over Fracking in Colorado's North Fork Valley - Businessweek

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 15,786 times
your reply sounds like an appropriate metaphor for the way of the world! Sounds like Florida (transplants, attitude, no jobs), without the humidity and mosquitoes. thanks for your post. i will keep looking!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,918 times
Default Paonia

I've read the posts on this string and I guess that I must be the exception to the rule. I moved from the Front Range to Paonia a year ago. I found a reasonably good paying job even though I wasn't even looking (but I had some skills that are rare in the North Fork). I've also really sent down roots here in Paonia and love it. I've made lots of friends with people of all types..ranchers, artsy types, winemakers, shop keepers et al and have not found the place overly unfriendly to newcomers. It's all about you and how you integrate into the existing community.

Paonia is a very interesting place with a surprising quantity of things going on. Though I am not a social media type, I know a lot of people watch the Paonia Facebook page religiously so newcomers may want to try that to get a feel for the place.

There's quite a bit of real estate on the market but over the spring and summer, a lot has either been bought or taken off the market. I have been told by some of the local realtors that things picked up in the spring and that properties are now starting to move, though at a discount.

All in all, we are deltighted in having chosen to live here. I like to climate better than that of the front range though we are having an extremely dry season with the irrigation ditches shutting down months too soon. It has been a great season however for the orchards and I've had wonderful cherries, apricots and plums from my trees so far. Pears and apples are also looking to be very good.

Hope this helps with a little more positive view on the place.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 15,786 times
thank you for the positive take on panonia.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,962 times
Hi

I am reading this thread with interest. My husband has a chance to get a job in Paonia and I am interested in people's views about the town. I suppose if he were to get this job we would move sometime in the summer of 2014. I do realize it is a very small town population wise which I am not used to, having always lived in places with sizable populations. I would hope it would be a positive experience.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM

289 posts, read 775,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingShelter View Post
Hi

I am reading this thread with interest. My husband has a chance to get a job in Paonia and I am interested in people's views about the town. I suppose if he were to get this job we would move sometime in the summer of 2014. I do realize it is a very small town population wise which I am not used to, having always lived in places with sizable populations. I would hope it would be a positive experience.
You want to know my views on the town? Paonia is in the middle of nowhere and is filled with inbred morons. Seriously, I do business with a few people in the area and am baffled at how ignorant they are. Now, this is a small sample size, but I've had multiple people tell me that they consider Delta County to be the dumbest county in America.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
You want to know my views on the town? Paonia is in the middle of nowhere and is filled with inbred morons. Seriously, I do business with a few people in the area and am baffled at how ignorant they are. Now, this is a small sample size, but I've had multiple people tell me that they consider Delta County to be the dumbest county in America.
Haha! I was born in Delta, spent a large chunk of my early life in the North Fork Valley (i.e. Hotchkiss, Paonia and Crawford). It's a beautiful place to be but you're not far off on the mentality of the people. It's so isolated that the mindset hasn't changed in decades. If you're not from there, you will never be a "local."

My father was born and raised in Paonia. My mother wasn't, she came to Colorado for college in the late 50's. They bought a ranch near Paonia in the early 60's. When my mom left the area over 30 years later, she was still considered an outsider. Even though I was born in Delta County, since my mom isn't a local, I'm not a true local either.

Now, if you do move to Paonia, there has been a large enough influx of newcomers that you would probably be able to make plenty of friends with other transplants. And not all locals are so uninviting of new people, but there is that social rift in the North Fork.

Most of us Delta County natives that left did so because we wanted to, not because we needed to. A lot of what's left is the good 'ol boy's club and those with no higher aspirations. I love my home area dearly, but Let's Go Here isn't exaggerating much in that assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado