Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM

14 posts, read 37,907 times

Advertisements

This forum has been helpful in finding a place to live in the Columbia area. Now that we are moving down figured I take a shot in the dark at the "best of". We will be living in the Lexington area so I am curious your thoughts on a whole series of things around the Lexington/Irmo area (I am also searching old posts):

1. Best Italian, Mexican, Chinese restaurants in the area?
2. Best Ice Cream (prefer old time ice cream shops)?
3. Best Chiropractor?
4. Best Golf in the area?
5. Best place for a hamburger?
6. Best barber shop (prefer one that uses hot shaving cream and straight razor for the trim)?
7. Best small town main street to walk around (prefer within an hour)?
8. Best NY style pizza (if there is any)?
9. Best bagel?

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also is there is a publication that does a "best of" edition each year, I would love to know its name.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM

50 posts, read 96,025 times
1.stephanos, casa linda, chens
2.Marble slab
3.Dr. Bigby
4.golden hills
5.rush's
6. Barber shop on main
7.idk orangeburg. Columbia for large
8.Rays Pizzaria
9.Bruglers bagles

Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,484,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan View Post
This forum has been helpful in finding a place to live in the Columbia area. Now that we are moving down figured I take a shot in the dark at the "best of". We will be living in the Lexington area so I am curious your thoughts on a whole series of things around the Lexington/Irmo area (I am also searching old posts):

1. Best Italian, Mexican, Chinese restaurants in the area? Italian - Garibaldi's, Divino and Villa Tronco. Mexican - not into Mexican food. Chinese - all of the Miyo's/M Vista/M Cafe locations (local chain)
2. Best Ice Cream (prefer old time ice cream shops)? I prefer frozen yogurt - yoghut is awesome
3. Best Chiropractor? No knowledge
4. Best Golf in the area? don't golf
5. Best place for a hamburger? Yesterdays, Pawley's or Rockaways
6. Best barber shop (prefer one that uses hot shaving cream and straight razor for the trim)? my haircutter comes to me
7. Best small town main street to walk around (prefer within an hour)? Camden or Ridgeway
8. Best NY style pizza (if there is any)? Pop's in 5 points by far. It's as good as in NYC.
9. Best bagel? Gotham Bagel

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also is there is a publication that does a "best of" edition each year, I would love to know its name.

Thanks!
I've answered them above.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,251,568 times
1. Travinia, San Jose, Chen's (good food, small dining room. Mostly take out)
2. Sandy's or Cold Stone Creamery
3. Can't help you there.
4. Golden Hills, Timberlake, Club at Rawls Creek. All good courses.
5. 5 Guys (I know its a chain but that is one good burger)
6. Roger's Barber shop on Columbia Avenue
7. Newberry
8. Closest is Ono Chicago Grill. Pretty good for down here.
9. Breugger's Bagels. Good coffee too.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM

470 posts, read 1,836,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncst8fan View Post

1. Best Italian, Mexican, Chinese restaurants in the area? antonina's, none really around here although we do go to san jose's the most, chen's
2. Best Ice Cream (prefer old time ice cream shops)? ben & jerry's.
3. Best Chiropractor? idk
4. Best Golf in the area? not a golfer
5. Best place for a hamburger? rush's
6. Best barber shop (prefer one that uses hot shaving cream and straight razor for the trim)? idk, still trying to find one for our 3 y/o son--he does better with barbers, it seems
7. Best small town main street to walk around (prefer within an hour)?
8. Best NY style pizza (if there is any)? antonina's
9. Best bagel? we buy ours from food lion--from their bakery. we found they make a pretty decent "everything" bagel.

Thanks!
answers in bold red

Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 18,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
Also is there is a publication that does a "best of" edition each year, I would love to know its name.
You might want to go by the office of Lexington Life Magazine beside Rush's off of Main St. in LEX. Sort of across from McDonald's. They had a "Best of Lexington 2009". See if they have any old ones left and pick up a copy while you are there. They are free and back publications shouldn't cost. They should be coming out with a new one soon. Get their recent one for this month too.

And Miyo's is the best for Chinese and now open in LEX!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,641 times
1. Best Italian, Mexican, Chinese restaurants in the area?

Italian-If you're looking for home made and not a chain The Villa on Bush River Rd is great, their chicken fett. alfredo is awesome! Rt 1 between Lexington and Gilbert has a newer restaurant I have heard great things about so worth a try for sure.

Mexican-Monterrey's or San Jose's are both great and everywhere!

Chinese-Fusion Bowl in Lexington or there is a good buffet on Rt 1. near I-20 across from Fatz, I forget the name tho. Can't beat a trip to Augusta for PF Chang's tho!! Miyo's is also coming to Lexington soon.

2. Best Ice Cream (prefer old time ice cream shops)? Coldstone or Marble Slab take the cake, a little pricey tho.

3. Best Chiropractor? Not Sure

4. Best Golf in the area? A smaller less crowded golfing location on Old Cherokee Rd that's pretty nice and not attached to a country club.

5. Best place for a hamburger? 5 guys definitely! Rush's is also good but closer to fast food. Fudruckers is also really good on Bush River.

6. Best barber shop (prefer one that uses hot shaving cream and straight razor for the trim)? Can't help here sorry.

7. Best small town main street to walk around (prefer within an hour)? Main St. Lexington doesn't have a lot if you go into Batesburg/Leesville it's a smaller home town kinda place. Gervais St. down town is always fun tho not small town. If you just want to walk with a nice view the dam has a walking area all the way across with a gorgeous view! Also there is a small park behind the courthouse in Lexington, nice walking path and plenty of scenery. I was there today and got lots of pictures of natural wildlife, very pretty and completely tree shaded which is great in the hot summer months.

8. Best NY style pizza (if there is any)? UNO's is Chicago I think, not sure about NY.
9. Best bagel? Bruesters is great!

Lexington Life Magazine does a lot along this line so definitely check it out!!

Hope that helps!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 AM

435 posts, read 1,524,366 times
I'm going to list my favorites across the region, since I live in the Northeast, but I'll note Lexington/Irmo locations:

1a. Best Italian - Travinia in Lexington or Villa Tronco downtown.
1b. Best Mexican - Cantina 76 downtown (Devine Street).
1c. Best Chinese - Any of the Miyo's - although M Vista downtown is the more upscale flagship. This is a slam-dunk in my opinion.
2. Best Ice Cream - hard to say (at least, I can't think of a truly local place that I like) - lately Bruster's seems to be our favorite place (there's one in Irmo)
3. Best Chiropractor - Never used one, so can't say
4. Best Golf in the area - Not a big golfer, so can't say
5. Best place for a hamburger - I'm a vegetarian, so can't say (a burger to me is usually a Morningstar meatless burger at home or occasionally a Boca patty-substituted one at Red Robin when we want to treat our son).
6. Best barber shop (prefer one that uses hot shaving cream and straight razor for the trim)? Don't know of any "classic" barber shop - certainly not in Lexington/Irmo.
7. Best small town main street to walk around (prefer within an hour) - Aiken, Newberry, and Camden, in that order. An out-of-state friend on business said Aiken seemed like a small version of Savannah to her.
8. Best NY style pizza (if there is any)? Not sure if it qualifies at NY-style, but we know the pizza chef at Thirsty Fellows downtown, and he makes great pizzas. Schiano's on Two Notch Road in the Northeast is ok for NY style pizza (unfortunately they closed the Irmo location), but we prefer other places even if it is not "authentic" NY style pizza. I haven't been there, but you may want to try Antonina's in Lexington, owned by an Italian-American family from New York.
9. Best bagel? Both my and my wife's home towns had such great bagel places that I can't really recommend a good bagel in town. Not that we're snobs - we're ok with supermarket bagels and occasionally a chain like Bruegger's in Forest Acres.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM

14 posts, read 37,907 times
Thanks for all of the info. We have already tried Travinia, Casa Linda, Sandy's and we are looking forward to trying the rest. Thanks for all of your thoughts. It has been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area