Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 PM

10 posts, read 52,471 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm going to be in Columbia with my girlfriend in a few weeks. We're staying for 3 nights. I'm just looking for some advice on things to do there. The main reason we're going is to go kayaking in the Congaree National Park. I'm also thinking about going whitewater tubing on the Saluda river. Has anyone heard of Palmetto Outdoors? I was reading their website and thinking about renting our tubes from there and doing the tubing trip that they offer. Would any of you recommend this place or are there better ones? Other than these things, what else would you recommend to do in Columbia? Are there nice historic neighborhoods to drive around? What are some good restaurants and bars? Is there a local music scene? We would be interested in seeing some good local punk, metal, or indie bands. Also, what's the best southern bar-bq place in the area? Any info or advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Other than barbecue, what kind of food appeals to you? I'm not a tuber or rafter so I can't help you there. I'd definitely visit the State House, Museum of Art and the State Museum while you're here. There are a lot of historic homes in the area bounded by Marion, Elmwood, Barnwell and Washington Streets on the east side of downtown. Wales Garden, Shandon, Elmwood Park and Heathwood are also nice neighborhoods to drive through/bike/walk. Five Points and the Vista are the 2 main entertainment areas downtown. Let us know what type of cuisine you like and we'll make some recommendations. I'm not fond of barbecue so I can't give you any good recommendations there.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Don't miss rafting on the Saluda, especially where it curves to meet the Broad to form the Congaree. Palmetto Pig in the Vista downtown has good barbecue. The State House, the State Museum, the Columbia Museum of Art and McKissick Museum are musts if you're into museums. Also check out 701 Whaley. The Vista has a variety of Restaurants. So does Five Points and various other spots around downtown, including several on Main Street. Check out a play at Trustus Theatre. The New Brookland Tavern in Vista West (just across the river) has rock bands. Any number of restaurants have live music. The best thing to do is when you get here find newspaper and booklet racks that have all the information you need about where to eat and what to see and do. Free Times and Bites & Sites are good to get your bearings. And, of course, visit the Visitor's Center at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center in the Vista.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 52,471 times
Thanks for the replies. We'll only be there for 3 nights, so I'm not sure how much we will actually be able to do, but so far I think we're going to be kayaking and/or tubing in the mornings that we are there, and I'm just kinda looking for some things to do later in the afternoon or night. Are the Vistas and Five Points places that we could just park and walk around at night? Are there certain areas we should avoid? We're going to be staying at the Marriott Downtown, are either of these within walking distance from there?. We do like art, so we may check out the Museum of Art if we have enough time. As far as restaurants go, I'm not necessarily looking for a certain type of food, just something that we can't get here in South Florida, preferably local owned, not chains. I'd like to kinda get a feel for what it would be like to live there. What do locals in their mid-late 20s do in their free time?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
The Art Museum is diagonally across the street from the Marriott and the Vista is within walking distance on the other side of Assembly Street. Most of the bars and restaurants in the Vista are on lady, Gervais and Senate Streets (east/west streets) and Assembly, Park, Lincoln and Gadsden (north/south streets). The crowd in the Vista is generally 25+ and in Five Points all ages, but the bars lean towards a college-age crowd. In the Main Street corridor there are also some restaurants and bars. Near you, there are the hotel restaurants in the Marriott and the Sheraton and also the White Mule, Main Street Jazz, Villa Tronco, Hennessey's, Hampton Street Vineyard and others. I like the rooftop bar at the Sheraton - it has a great view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area