Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM

29 posts, read 57,052 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband, my daughter(2), & myself will be moving to Columbia soon and I am overwhelmed! He has been in the military for 10 yrs. and we have been married for 6 of those yrs. He was just accepted to a program where he will attend the Univ. of SC for 4 yrs to get his degree. We will be needing to move around December and I am trying to find somewhere to live that is nice, safe, and a fairly easy commute for him (20-30 min.) We have had our house in NC on the market for over a year now with no luck and it looks like we will be stuck renting it out. For that reason we need to find a place to rent that is not expensive. I'm thinking $600-$800 (give or take a little) so that we don't get in over our heads in rent & mortgage just in case we have an issue with renters. I am most concerned about finding the nicest place for what we can afford right now. I am hoping and praying someone on this forum can help with my dilemma! I have never been to Columbia except for a brief stop on a road trip so I can use all the help you are willing to give! Thanks a ton!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Just FYI, I realize that for what we can afford we will probably be looking at apts./ condos and that is ok with us for right now. Hoping to find a nice apt. complex with gated community that is in a low crime area.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,586,076 times
Check out Vista Commons on Pulaski Street - it is gated and close to campus.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM

thank you!!! I will give it a look!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,268,830 times
I'm guessing from your post that you have a 2 year old child. If you are going to be here for 4 years be sure to include schools in your search although there are some fine private schools intown.

Hey Matt, isn't Vista Commons more geared toward college students?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,407,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I'm guessing from your post that you have a 2 year old child. If you are going to be here for 4 years be sure to include schools in your search although there are some fine private schools intown.

Hey Matt, isn't Vista Commons more geared toward college students?
I was thinking this, too. Since the OP said anywhere within 20-30 min of campus, we can probably expand that search area and pick a place with the poster and their child in mind.

To be honest, I'm not sure which schools are the very best in the Columbia area (no kids yet). I've heard pretty good things about a number of the in-town schools (AC Moore and Rosewood Elementary, Hand Middle, Dreher and AC Flora High), but I know there are plenty of less-than-stellar in-town schools, too.

Can you tell us more about what you look for in a place to live? Older house? Newer construction? Do you like being near shopping? Do you like someplace quieter and a little more rural? The more detail you can give, the better, because there's plenty of variety in the area.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Thank you for the replies! I did check out the vista commons apts. and they are $1135/month for rent. We are looking for something a little less expensive because of the mortgage we have. I don't think my husband will mind a short drive to campus, especially if we can be in a really nice area for a cheaper rent. By nice area, I mean low crime (somewhere that I will feel safe taking my daughter on a walk etc.) LexingtonDad, you are absolutely right in guessing that we do not want to be in a party environment. I did do a little research on schools. We are hoping that by the time DD goes to school we will be able to afford private school and I would like to be in the area for a year or more before I decide for sure. We can move in the next couple years to have her where we want her in school but that is a great suggestion as we want to give her the best education possible. We are looking at apts. at present because of our limited budget but are very open to any other suggestions ie. townhomes, condos, etc. Not picky, just want to be in a great area for a great price. Hope that is enough info.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,268,830 times
Hang around until Brandon Hoffman shows up. He is a Realtor with a real good grasp of the Columbia market and regularly checks in. On a side note don't forget to check out rental houses. I have noticed that in many cases someone can get a nice 3/2 house for less than a 2/2 apartment. Of course you won't have the amenities that come with many complexes but then again you might not need them.

And if you want the best schools in the region head right over to the Lexington 1 district.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,099 times
Default school opinion

as far as schools, i would recommend richland II (northeast side of town) or lexington 5, which is irmo. the others are ok as well, but these have a reputation as being the best available. The rent numbers you are looking for will be challenging to get all that you want. The farther you go from the city center the less expensive it is as a rule.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Thank you LexingtonDad! Very informative! Hoping Brandon stops in on my post!

Rick.Bell- I appreciate the school info! The good news is I used to work for a mortgage company and I spoke to the loan officer and she let me know how low rates are right now to refinance. We may look into that so that we will have a little more leeway for our rent. If we will be renting our house out for 4 years or more, it may be a good option. If that does happen we will have a much more flexible budget! I have a lot of researching to do t find the right place for us whether it be a house, apt., townhome, etc. but at least I have a few months!! Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area