Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

142 posts, read 343,284 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for places that are 5-30 minutes away and have a very low cost of living. I'm currently in Greenville but considering moving south for more job opportunities and perhaps a little more culture as well.

And realtors out there? feel free to email me here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Batesburg-Leesville, Gilbert, Pelion, Gaston, Swansea, Elgin, Lugoff, Chapin, White Rock, Little Mountain

Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM

191 posts, read 502,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
I'm looking for places that are 5-30 minutes away and have a very low cost of living. I'm currently in Greenville but considering moving south for more job opportunities and perhaps a little more culture as well.

And realtors out there? feel free to email me here.

They are all cheap. Seems like you got more to offer in terms of culture up there in my very limited experience.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
It depends on what you are looking for??? As already mentioned... the smaller rural towns around Columbia, in general, are probably cheaper than the Greenville area with the exception of some areas around Lake Murray. The second part of your questions in terms of 'culture' it becomes more difficult to answer depending on what type of 'culture' you are looking for. If you are looking for farming communities with plenty of hunting, hiking, fishing et al...then you can pick just about any rural community within 30miles of Columbia and have your fill. If you are looking more for a unique little hamlet with antique shopping, a coffee shop, Floyd's Barbershop type of Mayberry Main Street.... Then you will likely see more value in Newberry, Camden, and possibly Chapin or the Town of Lexington. Again, it depends on your definition of 'rural', 'culture'....and possibly even 'cheap'

Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Perhaps I'm looking for a both. I 'm looking for someplace quiet and nice, but I don't want to be in the middle of no where. I'd like to be in a smalltown with a few scattered neighbors shops, doctors, gas, mechanics, schools, etc. Also would like to be a short distance from a bigger city like columbia. What is transportation like in those parts?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM

255 posts, read 610,104 times
Sumter, Irmo, Blythewood, Lexington, West Columbia, Prosperity and Newberry are rural towns that are relatively close to Columbia and are very cheap to live. If I have to choose personally, I would definately choose Irmo. This is coming from someone who graduated from USC in Columbia and from the Pee Dee which is pretty much rural except my new hometown of Florence.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM

I'm actually trying to apply for work in Sumter and Orangeburg at this time. How far is Irmo from those places? Why do you like Irmo best?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Well, Plum Branch, is a nice, quiet, little town with a friendly population. The closest big town would be McCormick.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM

255 posts, read 610,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
I'm actually trying to apply for work in Sumter and Orangeburg at this time. How far is Irmo from those places? Why do you like Irmo best?
You'll be an hour out if you are traveling from Irmo to Sumter, but Irmo to Orangeburg is very durable say about 35 to 40 minutes if I am not mistaken. If I were to offer a position with a company in Sumter, I would simply stay in Sumter because of its rural and small town qualities that you are looking for based from your previous comment.

I like Irmo the best because the majority of its citizens are college educated, the town has a mall that is called Columbiana Centre which I love going there when I was at USC as well as other shopping avenues without going to NE (just my preference and nothing against NE), and Columbia is about 15 to 20 minutes from Irmo.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
This is the nuance of saying 'city' or 'town' in South Carolina. Sumter and Orangburg may be considered 'cities' if you are looking at them from a the prospective of say Camden.. though they may be considered 'townish' by those in Columbia. West Columbia and Irmo also may be considered as 'suburban cities' though Properity and Newberry may be considered as true towns. Its really all a matter of personal choice and interpretation. It is certainly worth a trip to these communities and seeing for yourself how they feel and their size and amenities. Transportation (public) from any of these places with the possible exception of Irmo and West Columbia to Columbia will be problematic and if you are going from the Columbia area to Orangeburg or Sumter.. you will have to drive as opposed to relying on anything public. Consider the option of moving to either place though the commute is certainly doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area