Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,617,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The Brennan Building renovation is coming along. A restaurant might locate on the ground floor.

COLUMBIA, SC - Renovated Brennen Building promises new ‘focal point’ on Main Street - Business - TheState.com
Very cool building. Main St has seen a lot of activity in the past year. Should be better in the upcoming years as Main and The Vista connect. Would make a nice walk from the River up Gervais and down Main.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,396,509 times
Default Weee when it rains it pours

Palmetto Compress Building proposal as a private student housing Plan nixed

Student housing project in the Vista nixed - Local / Metro - TheState.com

Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,580,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Palmetto Compress Building proposal as a private student housing Plan nixed

Student housing project in the Vista nixed - Local / Metro - TheState.com
Bravo Columbia!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,825,029 times
I don't understand why the design board voted to nix it instead of trying to get together with the developer and come up with a better alternative plan for the site. You see it all the time here in Greenville. Most recently with this proposed development: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...omplex-advance

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I don't understand why the design board voted to nix it instead of trying to get together with the developer and come up with a better alternative plan for the site. You see it all the time here in Greenville. Most recently with this proposed development: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...omplex-advance

I dont want to speak too soon, but I think (or atleast hope) that was the plan. The committee may only be allowed to vote it up or down "but if" or "maybe if you" type of approvals are not likely. What is a little unclear is whether or not the developer returns with a modified proposal given all the hoopla over cost to renovate that building. In article the developer even states they dont know what their next step is.. though of course even if they did they wouldnt tell the press so that their opponent could plot against them. What interesting is that if they walk away or find another site...it is likely that eventually someone may tackle this building as the area redevelopes and land becomes more valuable. If they abandon the concept entirely...there will certainly be another developer willing to build private student housing since there was likely a market study done by all that shows there is some pent up demand for that type of housing in the area....

Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM

12,947 posts, read 18,805,608 times
There is definitely a lot of back and forth at those hearings as to how certain things can be tweaked in preparation for coming before the board again in future hearings.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 9,586 times
It's kind of sad that the link to the City Center Partnership, LLC that the very first post in this thread links to appears to be all but abandoned.
It's the time of year when most business' can pull themselves from out of the red and into the black so I'm sure they could use a little help in the way of advertising what's going on downtown.
I'm also fairly certain that those who are involved in this "partnership" probably pay some dues or fees to belong to it.
But September?...the last update to what's going on downtown is September?

City Center Partnership - Columbia, South Carolina

It appears to be due in no small part to immense apathy no doubt on the part of those who stand to benefit the most from a successful downtown that it winds up foundering so much.
Sadly in my search for things to do I come across many sites like this 'partnership' here.

Anyone have any aggregate sites that can do any better than these?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

I get a monthly email from CCP. They're also my friend on Facebook. They emailed their "What's Happening on Main Street" newsletter in October, November and December.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 AM

I made this comment as a joke in another thread.. but Walmart should purchase the Palmetto Compress Building.. They could rehab it to it former glory and be right in the middle of the growing USC "intown" populations.. Hey.. if anybody can make it work its Walmart.........

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM

As a sign of progress, both double doors on the largest of the three Main Street buildings Agape is going to renovate are flung open this morning with men inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area