U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM

12 posts, read 19,068 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I went to the Columbia Visitor's Center this afternoon and they weren't much help, so I figured I might try and get some advice from the many Columbia experts on this site!

I am a 30-year old single male commercial banker with what some people would consider an "old soul" and I am relocating from Charleston, SC for a new opportunity in Columbia. To be honest, I am not a very big "live in the city" type person. I want to be close enough (30 minutes) to be able to enjoy it, but just not live there (not a fan of metered or parallel parking everywhere I go and prefer a quiet life). Similarly, the bank I will be working for is located on Assembly Street downtown and I would prefer no longer than a 30 minute commute, each way, if possible?

Finally, I prefer new or relatively new apartment complexes (more on the high end or upscale side) with a beautiful pool and am willing to spend up to $900 for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. I was considering Irmo since it is so close to Lake Murray and it looks like it is a straight shot to downtown, but know very little else about it. It would be great to find a place for young professionals like myself. Also, I have been told that if I am going to live in the city I should live in "The Vista", is this correct?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions in terms of specific apartments or areas. Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to reading your responses and answering any other questions you may have.

jhaze
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 AM

10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
In the Vista I would check out Vista Commons and go from there. As far as areas, you might find something in Harbison, but prepare for a slow ride into town and a slow ride out, with the sun in your eyes both ways. Out on Forest Drive in Forest Acres near where it becomes Columbia again (between Trenholm Road and I-77) there's an apartment complex that is popular and well maintained. Out off of I-20 heading toward Florence there are lots of new apartment complexes (between I-77 and Clemson Road and beyond). That's about all I know. Don't forget - there are lots of quiet neighborhoods in town with apartment buildings and complexes. Good luck in your search and welcome to Columbia.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge.

I hadn't had much luck after hours and hours of searching with the exception of Broad River Chase Apartments (off of broad river road, between Greystone blvd and the Broad River, so you suggestions are much appreciated.

In terms of your suggestions, based on the reviews I read, 42 Magnolia would be my best bet in Forest Acres and Oak Grove at Wildewood off of I-20. The Paddock Club looked nice, but the reviews were less than favorable. Also, Vista Commons appears to be an excellent suggestion and the only apartment complex that really appealled to me downtown.

Any comments about what I mentioned above or other tips/suggestions? I noticed you steered away from Irmo... any particular reason? I noticed there are a lot more big box retail stores there, so is that where a lot of people who live downtown go to shop?

Thank you,

jhaze

Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM

10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
Irmo's just too far out for my mind to think about. My heart is torn between two worlds: the city and the country, the country as in 8 miles from Bowman, SC, halfway between Columbia and Charleston, near I-26, where my mother, her parents, their parents, and so on and so forth, were born and raised. 42 Magnolia is correct.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,925,537 times
Since you want to be close to the lake then the Harbison/Irmo area is probably a start.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 AM

I will look in Irmo/Harbison, as well. I at least have a much better understanding of the area and I was somewhat intimidated at first, but it actually is a lot smaller than I pictured in my head. I guess I have to figure out if I want to live near the lake and the big box retail stores and commute in for work and for fun in the vista or vice versa, live and play downtown and then commute to Irmo and the lake for errands and/or weekend boating trips.

Thanks again Everyone for being so helpful.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 28,611 times
There are some beautiful new apartments overlooking the lake and right across from the public boat landing. The 1.5 mile dam walk is also right there. I think they are called The Haven @ Lake Murray.
Also, I live in Irmo and its great! The Columbiana mall and lots of restaurants and the lake!
I can be downtown in 10 minutes also.
I think you should check it out.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM

@susancrosby

Thank you for the tip!

I initially was very impressed by The Haven @ Lake Murray, but then I began to read some of the reviews and they were less than favorable. I checked more than one review site and am smart enough to pick up on fake reviews or complaints that aren't significant or wouldn't apply to me.

I still plan on visiting "The Haven" there before I make a decision. Some negatives I have read include poor/cheap construction including very thin walls and that they are extremely pricey for even a 1 bedroom. Apparently you can rent a home for the same price or cheaper. Also, some issues with arrogant management, which I don't anticipate being an issue for me, but is a good thing for me to look out for when I visit before I sign a lease.

Thank you again and I plan on posting to help others in my situation after I make my decision.

Take Care!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM

1,621 posts, read 2,898,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaze View Post
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge.

I hadn't had much luck after hours and hours of searching with the exception of Broad River Chase Apartments (off of broad river road, between Greystone blvd and the Broad River, so you suggestions are much appreciated.

jhaze
There are luxury apartments in a gated community off of Trenholm near to Decker Blvd. I'll never remember the name of. A friend used to live there. From there you could take Trenholm to Forest/Taylor to Assembly to get to work.

Another nice complex is off Greystone near to the dealerships. From there you could drive Broad River towards downtown, where it turns into another road near to N. Main. N. Main to Elmwood to Assembly would be the rest of your route into work. OR take I-126 (right there) into downtown.

Going the other way on Broad River is a PITA (towards the interstate).

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM

892 posts, read 2,048,246 times
For a nicer, young professional type apartment community in the Harbison/Irmo area, I'd check out The Crestmont. Also I've always thought the apartments located behind Chili's right off of I-20 at 378 in Lexington looked nice - I think they are called Lullwater at Saluda Point. I know young professionals who live in there.

If you decide you want to also look in Northeast Columbia, I always hear good things about the Keswick which is right off I-20 at Clemson Rd. - also from young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area