Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 48,842 times

Advertisements

Curious about your opinions about Essex homes. Seems like you get more house for your $ with them but I wondering if you give up anything in exchange...i.e. quality, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM

316 posts, read 975,616 times
The office I work in is in charge of sales for 6 Essex communities, so we are around them a lot. I can tell you my opinion of them, but in the end you really need to form your own. They build a quality home, and so do other builders here in Columbia. The best thing to do is to tour a few Essex communities and see what you think of their floor plans and homes. Then take a look at some other communities from different builders, in the same price range, and see how they add up and campare to one another.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlboney View Post
The office I work in is in charge of sales for 6 Essex communities, so we are around them a lot. I can tell you my opinion of them, but in the end you really need to form your own. They build a quality home, and so do other builders here in Columbia. The best thing to do is to tour a few Essex communities and see what you think of their floor plans and homes. Then take a look at some other communities from different builders, in the same price range, and see how they add up and campare to one another.
Agreed, with the exception that my company has no affiliation with Essex. I don't think you get more for money with Essex any more than you do Mungo, Shumaker, Hurricane, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM

146 posts, read 521,594 times
Good thread Sikokomo.

I'm pondering the same question myself. I've been corresponding with JLBoney and the pricing on the developments by Essex for the Cooper's Pond community sound reasonable. Question is, if a similar size floorplan and sq.footage layout cost 50-75k less, than what C&C Builder's have been offering, that difference has to come from somewhere.

Of the homes in that area that Essex has their names posted as the builder's of some homes and communities nearby, they don't look to bad, (i.e. construction quality and layout). So I'm curious to see what they do in the Cooper's Pond development and other neighborhoods in the area.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM

316 posts, read 975,616 times
The Lincrest community across the street from Cooper's Pond is another Essex community. They are in the high $200's to low $300's. They are nice quality homes, as you would expect from the price. I believe the lots in the Copper's Pond community were purchased for a better price. A lot of the land in Blythewood is more expensive for the developers, which makes the price of the homes higher due to the price of the land.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM

New construction price differences can come in a variety of ways starting with the value of the land/location, the builders profit margin, upgrades, construction type, etc.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 13,390 times
I relocated to the Columbia, SC area 4 years ago and bought a new Essex Home(Commons of Winchester) I have been regretting it for the last 3 years. Incidently, that's when the warranty expired. Where do I start? Leaking roof over the garage, constant HVAC problems, nails popping out of the walls all over the house. Now, major pre-existing drainage problems on my on my lot--and many of my neighbors--that, soaks and kills a major portion of my lawn every year! These homes are warranted for 1 year, after that, you're on your own. The builder could care less after the year is up. It appears you get more for your money with Essex Homes, but based on my experience as a owner, you actually get less in the long run. "Big house, little money" buyer beware.

Last edited by curtycurt_99; 05-09-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 41,135 times
Stay away from Shumaker homes- they built me a house that had so many problems ( they wouldn't fix) that within one year it was worth only half what we paid. We sued them and won by getting them to buy the house back at full price!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 12,105 times
Stay away from Mungo! After two years in our house the roof started to leak! They said they were not responsible! POOR CRAFTMANSHIP.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Why was it leaking? Was it a boot vent, shingle blown off, etc? A leaky roof does not necessarily mean poor craftsmanship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area