Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM

74 posts, read 224,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbusciglio View Post
I think the area I am leaning towards and the area West of Gervais and South of Assembly. It seems like there are several places in that area that could fit my description and will be close to the Vistas and Main St. entertainment.
Sounds like a good choice based on your preferences. There are some nice blocks in that area, but the closer you are to Gervais the better, IMO. It'll be easier for you to walk to conveniences, like the grocery store. There's a really nice Publix right at the corner of Gervais and Huger (pronounced Hyoo-gee) that's quite popular.

Anyway, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

111 posts, read 236,576 times
I totally and fully agree with HopDude. Columbia is boring and unless you are willing to make Gamecocks the center of your life, you will be an outsider. My boyfriend and I (neither of us originally from here) can't wait to get out of here - hopefully in less than 6 months.

I am not gonna go on the bashing but everytime I go on a trip to another city, I feel like I woke up from a coma. Good luck moving here - I think if you find a good group of people (you will probably have to find some transplants also), you will be OK...just don't plan on retiring here - again, unless you are willing to embrace all the souther culture.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:43 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelseapop View Post
Be smart and look before you move. Our move to Columbia was the biggest mistake of our life. We've been here about a year and we hate it here. I agree with Etincelle about Columbia being boring.
What do you want to see in Columbia?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelseapop View Post
Be smart and look before you move. Our move to Columbia was the biggest mistake of our life. We've been here about a year and we hate it here. I agree with Etincelle about Columbia being boring.
What do you like to do?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 AM

I don't know about Chelseapop, but I personally would like to for example have a choice of more concerts than Kenney Chesney and Miley Cyrus, I would like to have a real downtown with people walking around and cafes, I would like to have more shopping options (like Nordstrom etc.), I would love to see more shows like Cirque du soleil and other bigger productions, I would love to have more restaurant choices than the chains, but mainly I would love to have a conversation with people about something else than Gamecocks or tailgating or the Cup or the Crawfish festival.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I have those deep conversations with a wide variety of people, rotate my favorite local restaurants, hang out at Starbucks in the Vista, DeLaney's in Five Points, 116 on State Street, and the Roof Top Bar at the Sheraton, to name a few places. I see people in those places with a sad look on their face seemingly pining for a more exciting scene, and I'm in those places a lot, so you must not be or I'd notice. If you think Kenny Chesney and the like are the only types of big name acts in town, you are not following the headlines. An attitude adjustment might do the trick. It's interesting how different people see things. My neighbor across the street said he was recently in a city that appeared very nice with a busy downtown, but when he commented to a guy his age who lives there that he was really impressed with the city, the guy said there's nothing to do here. My neighbor thought huh? The guy said all the people who hang out there are alike and called them townies. He actually said he went to Charlotte, Atlanta, and, in the same breath, are you ready? - Columbia - to party.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:04 PM

191 posts, read 503,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I have those deep conversations with a wide variety of people, rotate my favorite local restaurants, hang out at Starbucks in the Vista, DeLaney's in Five Points, 116 on State Street, and the Roof Top Bar at the Sheraton, to name a few places. I see people in those places with a sad look on their face seemingly pining for a more exciting scene, and I'm in those places a lot, so you must not be or I'd notice. If you think Kenny Chesney and the like are the only types of big name acts in town, you are not following the headlines. An attitude adjustment might do the trick. It's interesting how different people see things. My neighbor across the street said he was recently in a city that appeared very nice with a busy downtown, but when he commented to a guy his age who lives there that he was really impressed with the city, the guy said there's nothing to do here. My neighbor thought huh? The guy said all the people who hang out there are alike and called them townies. He actually said he went to Charlotte, Atlanta, and, in the same breath, are you ready? - Columbia - to party.
What I don't understand is incisive Columbia boostering. There are a number of individuals around these forums that think Cola is veneered with gold. I'll be the first admit that it has its perks, but like any city it certainly has it's pitfalls.

One of these SHINNING shortcomings is it's appeal to the post-college-pre-family crowd and in general, a downtown that feels like a downtown in terms of retail, food, activities etc. And I for one LIKE when the "where I used to live" comparison is used. People compare to what they are used to. Get over it. It's how calibrate peoples opinions.

The original poster falls squarely into post-college-pre-family crowd. I don't think it unreasonable for the above posters to cite their opinions especially since they also fall into that crowd as do I.

As for what I'd like to see in Cola and an attempt to inject some hard data into this post, Walkability sucks in this city. It's clearly built around the automobile and it shows. On the plus side, according to this site, Cola made the top 100 shortest commute times in the nation:

//www.city-data.com/top78.html

The downfall is everything is spread out, I play soccer out in Irmo and the plex, which are both 30minutes from Rosewood as is Harbison and just about everything else - just no traffic. ever. There are 2-3-4 lane roads everywhere which makes pedestrian traffic sucky. Even the vista has a four lane rd.

People will tell you it's a great location, 1.5 from the mts and 1.5 from the beach. So great you're close to nothing. I miss the mountains. The beach is alright, Certainly not going to travel 1.5 hours to go. Thats just me. Lake murrary is neat, although just about the only thing around here that isn't dirt cheap.

Then there is the obvious cultural differences between here and other parts of the country. As we've already decided, Cola is an unmistakably Southern city and further more "down south" as one poster put it. It is, the "deep South".

More then anything i think, the lack of an active (as in exercise) really gets to me. You will notice that Columbia, and much of the South is over weight.

Lexington county has made the top 100 counties whom % of residents have NOT exercised in the last month in the country at 76% (wow).

//www.city-data.com/top2/co13.html

and Richland county is on the top 100 counties for average weight for women. No data for men, but i'd suspect something similar. Coming from a city like Denver, this will be very noticeable.

//www.city-data.com/top2/co14.html

Old 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM

I don't think I need an attitude adjustment as I don't feel like I have an attitude but an opinion. This opinion is substantiated by experiences of living and traveling in Europe and spending decent amount of time in cities such as New York, DC, Seattle, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. I think I have the background to compare city lives. Starbucks to me is a place one gets coffee, not one of the places on my list to "hang out". I also would not hang out in hotel restaurants and bars as I feel those are more for the hotel guests. I may not be following Columbia headlines religiously but I don't think I would have missed some great bands or performances if they were coming through...in fact I almost did a double look when I saw that Cirque du soleil graced this town with its presence just recently. Maybe I am one of those townies then the guy was complaining about. Or maybe I just like to go out to a place where a guy would not even think about wearing flip flops to a bar.

I agree totally with Jwind about the "walkability" - there aren't even sidewalks in most neighborhoods. Exercise can only be done in a gym because as a woman when I try to walk/jog on the street, I get harassed. Perhaps because I cannot afford to live in a ritzy gated community - whose inhabitants probably have a very good opinion of Columbia.

And as far as having conversations, I rarely can have a good conversation because people take offense to a different opinion...ever tried to tell someone here you don't believe in God or discuss universal healthcare? Good luck. I don't mind if someone has a different opinion, but I would like to discuss it, not be made feel like I am wrong. And I am telling you that whenever I go to a larger city, the percentage of having good conversations goes up - coincidence?

To each his own and like I said, we are moving, so people here can enjoy Gamecocks and I will enjoy a Broadway show instead.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:21 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
What I don't understand is incisive Columbia boostering. There are a number of individuals around these forums that think Cola is veneered with gold. I'll be the first admit that it has its perks, but like any city it certainly has it's pitfalls.

One of these SHINNING shortcomings is it's appeal to the post-college-pre-family crowd and in general, a downtown that feels like a downtown in terms of retail, food, activities etc. And I for one LIKE when the "where I used to live" comparison is used. People compare to what they are used to. Get over it. It's how calibrate peoples opinions.

The original poster falls squarely into post-college-pre-family crowd. I don't think it unreasonable for the above posters to cite their opinions especially since they also fall into that crowd as do I.

As for what I'd like to see in Cola and an attempt to inject some hard data into this post, Walkability sucks in this city. It's clearly built around the automobile and it shows. On the plus side, according to this site, Cola made the top 100 shortest commute times in the nation:

//www.city-data.com/top78.html

The downfall is everything is spread out, I play soccer out in Irmo and the plex, which are both 30minutes from Rosewood as is Harbison and just about everything else - just no traffic. ever. There are 2-3-4 lane roads everywhere which makes pedestrian traffic sucky. Even the vista has a four lane rd.

People will tell you it's a great location, 1.5 from the mts and 1.5 from the beach. So great you're close to nothing. I miss the mountains. The beach is alright, Certainly not going to travel 1.5 hours to go. Thats just me. Lake murrary is neat, although just about the only thing around here that isn't dirt cheap.

Then there is the obvious cultural differences between here and other parts of the country. As we've already decided, Cola is an unmistakably Southern city and further more "down south" as one poster put it. It is, the "deep South".

More then anything i think, the lack of an active (as in exercise) really gets to me. You will notice that Columbia, and much of the South is over weight.

Lexington county has made the top 100 counties whom % of residents have NOT exercised in the last month in the country at 76% (wow).

//www.city-data.com/top2/co13.html

and Richland county is on the top 100 counties for average weight for women. No data for men, but i'd suspect something similar. Coming from a city like Denver, this will be very noticeable.

//www.city-data.com/top2/co14.html
Why does it bother you that people want to share positive things about Columbia? If people should "get over" hearing you reference talking about where you are from, why can't they talk about Columbia?

As for opinions, you are right, people have a right to share. Where I think the thread goes south is when you see comments made that the area is terrible and you should think long and hard before moving here. And, then the "I have lived all over the country" statement comes in as if to say I know what I am talking about or I am more worldly. Well, that does not help the OP get answers and is just wrong.

Columbia has many positives that works for some and not for others. It all depends of what you want. Downtown is certainly a work in process and should only get better.

If you want hard data, I would research other information. Lists have a funny way of not telling much. As an example, Charlotte was just named one of America's best walking cities. Well, if you believe that, try crossing some of these streets at 5:00, it is a game. I do agree that some Columbia streets should get a diet, Assembly has no business being 6 through lanes.

Last edited by GSP101; 05-21-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
no one should base a move on whether I say this place has worked out great for us, or another who says they can't wait to burn out of here. Sift thru both the garbage and the good info as part of your research, then visit if possible to make your own determinations. If it's not a relocation by choice then all anyone can do when transferred or having to move is make the best of what they are given. And if it is a relocation by choice then these days there is no reason not to fully be aware of everything a market has to offer and what it does not.
Heck no city or town is perfect. We lived for decades in a college/state cap city ( Madison Wi ) that on some lists was voted one of the top places to live in the US. Was it perfect? Far from it. Still had homeless issues, did not have some major retailers, and was limited on certain things. If you wanted to see certain shows or needed the big city fix for example then you would go to Chicago or Minneapolis. But that was understood by those who lived there. When we moved here we viewed it the same. We did not want a big city and then fully understood we were not getting one. If we need a certain store, perhaps see a pro sports team, or whatever, then we can go to Atl or Charlotte for a night.
If a change doesnt work out then make another, and if it does then great go and enjoy it. There are obviously people who moved here who are not happy, and those of us who moved here who are. Ask more questions if you need to, some of us will be here to answer the best we can so if you do need to move to this area we will do what we can to be of help..

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area