Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a college student whose currently living in Wisconsin and is considering moving to Sumter, SC to live with a good friend while continuing my education in the USC system going for IT with a possible minor in business.

I have seen threads about the unemployment rates, property taxes on vehicles, and numerous other things that have answered my questions I've already had.

What I want to know is if there's somebody that can provide a link or share personal experience on what the job market for IT related positions are like in the Sumter but mainly the Columbia area.

Also if there's anything else anyone would like to say about Sumter and its surrounding area that would help me make a decision whether to move to Sumter or not, that would be great.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,452,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintyler View Post
Hello,

I am a college student whose currently living in Wisconsin and is considering moving to Sumter, SC to live with a good friend while continuing my education in the USC system going for IT with a possible minor in business.

I have seen threads about the unemployment rates, property taxes on vehicles, and numerous other things that have answered my questions I've already had.

What I want to know is if there's somebody that can provide a link or share personal experience on what the job market for IT related positions are like in the Sumter but mainly the Columbia area.

Also if there's anything else anyone would like to say about Sumter and its surrounding area that would help me make a decision whether to move to Sumter or not, that would be great.

Thank you.
Lots of direct hire and contract IT work in Columbia, due to the fact Blue Cross has a major regional hub there, and they do work for other BC regionals across the country. Several friends work in IT in Columbia, and they report there's rarely a shortage of jobs in their field. You just may have to network a little to get one that's a good fit.

Lots of IT work is contracted out by the Federal and state governments in Columbia, as well.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding work there, just make sure the Midlands are a good fit for you.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Try this link to get started, rockintyler.

IT-oLogy - Goals and Progress

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 15,842 times
I personally would not move to Sumter. I have never heard to many good things about Sumter, and it's quite far out there. I resided to the Columbia area 3 years ago and I'm very pleased with living here. We live in Lexington, about 20-30 minutes outside of downtown. I would look closer to Columbia, they'll be more to do, and you're pretty much close to everything you'll ever need. Plus, from what I hear this area is more desirable than Sumter.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM

167 posts, read 477,274 times
My husband works on the base down on Sumter but we live in Columbia. Most of his co-workers live in Sumter and aren't happy because there isn't much to do. When I have been looking for IT jobs I've found most jobs up in Columbia.

If you choose to live in Sumter keep in mind a large Army unit just relocated there and made everyone in town raise their prices the past year. The drive is about 40 minutes if you were to commute.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM

32 posts, read 115,090 times
Default What base and army unit in Sumter?

I desire something rural....sounds like this might be like that. We are retired military...so I wondered about the base (was mentioned here). How far from college?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Yeah.. poor Sumter gets a bad rap sometimes.. The unfortunate part is Sumter is probably as affordable as the more affordable areas of the Columbia Metro.. so unless you just wanted to live in Sumter and commute to Columbia.. you could just as likely find a comparable place in Columbia and have access to all the amenties...not to mention avoiding the commute and the $4 gas.....Sumter will never become a true "bedroom" community for Columbia (and they likely dont wanna be) or able to capitalize on a true City-City relationship like you have in Greenville Spartanburg ish type of relationship which is unfortunate. So, as others have suggested you may watn to consider Columbia if having a variety of things to do and access to amenities afforded to you by being in a larger community.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLambear View Post
I desire something rural....sounds like this might be like that. We are retired military...so I wondered about the base (was mentioned here). How far from college?
What college? USC's main campus is 45 minutes away in Columbia, but there is a USC satellite campus in Sumter, plus a tech school and a small HBCU.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
I live in Sumter and work in Columbia. I choose Sumter because the town has everything I need without the high costs of living in Columbia. I bought a 3000 sq ft house last year for $250,000. The exact same house in Lexington or NE Columbia would cost $400,000. My kids go to a great Catholic school which I never thought I would find in Sumter. But lo-and-behold there is pre k - 12th grade Catholic education in Sumter. My commute to work is about 45 minutes. I have friends who live in Lexington and their commute is around 35 minutes. While Sumter does not have a lot of entertainment options, Columbia is close enough that we can easily get there and back for concerts, plays and shopping. Sumter has a small town feel that I like. Less than 2 hours to the beach and only 3 hours to the mountains.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 13,061 times
Sometimes it personally drives me crazy all the bad raps that sumter gets. I have lived here all my life, have never left and not realy sure i plan on leaving. Sumter just like any other city including columbia! has its bad parts...the one thing that is hard to find in sumter is so called "street walkers" which are everywhere in downtown columbia. USC is one of the best colleges to attend in the united and i would recomend anyone applying! Especially a new comer wanting to have a degree in IT...Your cost of living in sumter and commuting will astound you. My sister traveled from sumter to columbia everyday for 4 years to go to her class at USC and she saved more money than i did going to online classes....And saving money is key to a college student. Plus! Everything you need is right here. And once you go to USC (columbia campus) if you need lunch you can either stay on campus or walk a few blocks and get something. I have no idea why people paint such a bad picture about sumter for people. Some of the most beutiful places are right here...apparently the ones painting bad pictures have never taken the real time to "see" sumter. If it was bad...the majority of sumters population would not be retired military settling down here....thank you and welcome to sumter!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area