Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,258 times

Advertisements

Lexington can be hit or miss. My time here has not been a great one. I don't like this town, but many people love it. In my opinion, there are too many people who have an elitist attitude and think they're better than others. But, I have also met some friendly people who are easy to get along with. Traffic in this town is awful. Some say its ok compared to other places they have lived, well in my comparisons, it is the worst. It once took me 25 minutes to go from Ball Park Road to Carolina Wings (about 4 miles) going up 1/378. That's outrageous. You will have your pick of renting or buying because this place is a buyer's market for sure. Sucks for a seller (please God don't make us have to be landlords to avoid selling at a loss) like me who's home is 12 years old and brand new ones similar to it are being built on every little strip of land possible for less than we paid for this one. Good schools, though!

Pros: schools, amenities, proximity to larger city, decent job market, nearly every chain store/restaurant
cons: elitist attitudes, (some) entitled/spoiled children, traffic, virtually no downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,819 times
The fact remains the OP is moving to this part of the metro because of a job. You really can't go wrong with Lexington regardless of what Tiger17 says. We moved here 4 years ago after our time in the military came to an end--it wasn't our first choice, but we're happy with living in this town. Traffic truly isn't THAT bad--if you've driven in Boston.... Rome...or Izmir, Turkey and the like, seriously, Lexington traffic is a breeze. The only time the traffic may get bad (obviously during rush hour) is if there's an accident and folks are rubber necking....which seems to be a sport around here--but that's a different thread. Anyhoo, outside of the occasional naysayer, folks who call Lexington home are happy with it and what it has to offer. I've found the ones who have complained are usually the source of their own discontent.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM

I realize they are moving here for a job. That's great! Lex Med is a great place to be! For the traffic, again, I stated that from my comparisons (and no, I have not driven in Boston) traffic is bad. As for your snide remark saying a complainer is the source of their own discontent, I'll just let it slide. Have a great day, chappell.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,819 times
I'm sorry you thought my remark was snide, however, a good portion of your posts have been negative and haven't added to the topic at hand except for the fact on how much you don't like Lexington. Ok, we get it: Sorry, you can't sell your home (it has been/is a buyers market). Sorry, you don't like the direction Lexington 1 is headed (sounds to me like its similar to a college schedule). Sorry, the traffic sucks (take a deep breath, it's worse somewhere else, come to think of it: I77 in/around/thru Charlotte is a prime example). I see a pattern.
If that makes it snide, well, then so be it. Believe me, there are things about this state I could flying hoo-ha about and could use some change and join the 21st century. There are ideologies embraced by Lexington and the county that I strongly disagree with, but all in all, it's not a bad place to live and even when we made the choice to move here, Lexington was head and shoulders above the rest....would that make me an "elitist"?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Well, I'm sorry if only positive posts are allowed. I am simply offering a contrasting view. I'm not a sunshine pumper. I have added to the conversation by giving detailed information, especially the one concerning the schools. No, your view is not what I consider elitist. That would be the students that would tell me they didn't have to listen to me because their parents made more than I did. Or the parent that came to me after a game screaming in my face about why his child didn't start and went on some rant about his last name, how long his family has lived here, and had friends at the district office. Or the people who flat out quit talking to me at a luncheon because I said I didn't have a boat. Or the kids at school who had special rules applied to them because of how much their parents gave to the booster club. Those are just examples of my elitists. I am sure this happens at other place, but it hasn't in my other coaching/teaching stops, so therefore, it was a turnoff.

I am glad you like Lexington. Again, I've met some very friendly people here as well. It isn't the worst place in the world. I used to hate the place, but I don't anymore. It has grown on me some as I've spent more time with my wife's friends who live here. I just don't prefer it. That's all.

I've taken a new job where I will commute, which is what I should've done in the first place. Then most of my bad Lexington experiences would've never happened.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Been here in Lexington for 16 months. Love the town. No kids in school so do not know the school system. Easy to get around the area and to most any other place in Columbia from Lexington. Rush hour traffic not that bad and of a short duration. Overall, sissy traffic here.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times
I moved to Lexington about 4 years ago and love it. In regards to the traffic I was complaining one day and some friends said that I needed to take the time to learn the back roads and stay off 378/1/South & North lake. I took the time and don't sit in traffic anymore. And like others, coming from Atlanta and its world class traffic the worst that Lexington can bring is mild in comparison.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,538 times
Thanks for all the replies! We found a house to rent and will be just east of Lexington and my kids will be attending Lexington Middle and High Schools. We are really looking forward to getting there and checking out the area.

I know there is a flea market near the airport. Is there a farmer's market?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
there is the new SC state farmers market which is out on 26 a couple miles east of town, though to me it's not quite the standard market where you walk booth by booth; it's set up in larger buildings where the farmers in many cases have their trucks backed in and produce for sale. It works, we always just preferred the old school ones.

There is also one downtown Lexington each Saturday, just havent been there yet. Finally there is a family owned market/restaurant ("Famers Shed" ) that is out on hwy 1 that sells produce as well as having food for either sit down or carry out. For what it's worth, they were on 'Diners drive-ins and Dives' a couple years back.

Good luck on the move down, i'd say be prepared for the heat but i know back home in WI it's been almost as hot up there lately so you wont be dealing with much change there lol

Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times
Quote:
I know there is a flea market near the airport. Is there a farmer's market?
There actually are two flea markets just a mile or so from each other. The Barnyard flea market is what you are probably used to with vendors selling everything from cell phone cases to cheap cigarettes to garage sale leftovers. The other one is US 1 Flea market and is a bit different. If you go there and close your eyes you can imagine you are in a third world country. It is totally safe so don't worry about that but if you go there you will find things that you won't get anywhere else and English is truly the second language of the place.

I'm finally warming up to the new farmer's market, especially the South Carolina only sheds. You simply drive through the sheds (you can park and walk if you want) and ask what they are asking for their goods. I have found they are usually ready to make a deal, especially after lunch time. I went by there last week and got seedless watermelons for $1, a basket of local peaches for $10 and a basket of tomatoes for $11. Needless to say the original prices were not that low so negotiating skills are handy. And I have never met anyone there yet with a bad attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area