Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,534 times

Advertisements

My wife recently accepted a job on the heart team at Lexington Medical Center. That means that one of the requirements for a residence is that we must be within 20 minutes call back time of the hospital. We also have a 15yo daughter and twin 12yo boys. Up to this point the boys have been homeschooled, but will be entering public schools this coming year. The quality of schools is very important to us. I see that the Lexington 1 schools are ranked very high as are most of the Irmo schools. We have spent quite a bit of time in various bigger cities and are tired of the stress and worry about safety. There seem to be conflicting opinions on here about the Irmo area. Are only certain parts the "bad areas"? What about the schools?

I am asking because we are trying to keep expenses down for a while and rent in Irmo is lower than Lexington. The other issue with that is we will be looking for a permanent place but don't want to make our kids change schools again if we can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 AM

No one?

Really?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
we relocated here as empty nesters so cant suggest what school is better; I may add though that traffic from Irmo to the med center could cause some issues as 26 from the Irmo exits to where it passes the hwy 20 interchange to head towards hwy 378 exit can be near stopped each am. There may be others on CD who actually make the drive you mention; but i'd think that alone may swing the focus over to Lexington since that is a critical need. And there should be plenty of neighborhoods (both single family and apt if thats of interest) to put you in a nice area that fits your family and transit needs. For what it's worth, my sister (also no school age kids) recently moved down as well and works near the 378/26 area. She felt more comfortable in Lexington over Irmo; plus again dealing with that weekday traffic.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,679 times
We moved to Lexington last summer from Texas and love it here. Our girls both attend a Lexington 1 school (Meadow Glen) and the quality of the programs there is top-notch (I'm a teacher.) We live just off Corley Mill so it would be an easy commute to the Medical Center from here. There are all kinds of neighborhoods in this area that might be a good fit for you and would be a fairly easy drive to work.

I hope that helps.

Best of luck in your upcoming move!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,235 times
We moved to Lexington from Massachusetts four years ago. There are good neighborhoods within town and the schools are great, too! We're zoned for Lake Murray Elementary and have heard nothing but good things about it--we live off of Park Road which is pretty much central to everything. PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks a lot! Your responses have pretty much confirmed my beliefs. I guess all that is left at this point is to find a house and make the loooong drive from Wisconsin.

I do have another quick question. Who are the electric and cable providers for the Lexington City area? Does the cable provider offer decent broadband internet?

Thanks again for all the responses!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,235 times
SCE&G is the electric provider and you can go with Time Warner for Cable & internet; Direct or Dish for Satellite (on a side note: I, for one, was not thrilled with Dish's internet service (Windstream). Haven't complained yet with Time Warner for internet. Anyone else is more than welcome to add their 2c...

Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLTalr View Post
Thanks a lot! Your responses have pretty much confirmed my beliefs. I guess all that is left at this point is to find a house and make the loooong drive from Wisconsin.

I do have another quick question. Who are the electric and cable providers for the Lexington City area? Does the cable provider offer decent broadband internet?

Thanks again for all the responses!
another Badger making the exodus south?? We came down from Madison area 3 yrs ago, and we do love it in SC and in the Cola area.

Note we use Time Warner here, overall very similar to what we had back home with Charter. Meaning decent goods for too high a price lol. Unfortunately our 'hood here doesnt have U-verse yet or other hi speed net options besides TW so for now we're sort of stuck with what we have. But it does the job.

what we did our first year was rent a home to ensure the location/neighborhood was the right chioce before buying/building and we were already working with a realtor before we first came down to check SC out. Rent on a home here can actually be more then the lower cost to buy, just an option to consider.

Enjoy the drive down, it's boring as you know what until you hit KY, then in TN the mountains are just gorgeous (yeah i know, eyes on the road )

Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM

We are actually from the Carolinas originally. We will driving from Eau Claire. It's a nice area, but the winters are brutal and looooong. lol We mostly wanted to get closer to family as we have been away from 12 years.

We are still looking for a rental. Hopefully we will find one soon.

Time Warner would be fine. At least it doesn't go out when a cloud blows over. We don't watch much tv. We are more interested in the internet. We have used Hughesnet for a couple of years. It's ok for what it is (satellite), but we are really looking forward to real internet.

As for the mountains, yeah, that's the most dangerous part of the trip. lol

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 AM

at least you have familiarity with SC then so have an understanding of how different taxes are (lower home tax, but prop tax on vehicles, etc), then back in WI, and you already know winters here are like.... well not really winter lol (weather was our reason for relocate).

When we were searching for a rental, besides checking the ads and what area property managment companies offered, we actually found (with much help from our realtor) that a decent amount of the homes that were sitting for sale for a longer period would consider renting out. So that opened a whole new set of options for us to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area