Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I live in Buffalo,NY but the department in my company is relocating to West Columbia in September. Unfortunately I am going through a divorce right now so my husband will not be coming with me. I have a 15 year old son and he will be going with me. Basically I just need to figure out where to live that is a safe low-crime area that is also affordable. Luckily my company is paying for my relocation. Can I find something affordable and nice for around $700 a month? A 1 bedroom is fine since I figure my son only has 2 more years of high school and will then move on to college. I can rough it and give him the bedroom until then. Some of you may be wondering why I would elect to move my son who is going to be a h.s. junior in the Fall, and it is not because I am completely oblivious to how this is going to affect him, but it is due to domestic violence reasons.

Any info on different school districts and areas to live is greatly appreciated, as well as an overall view of Columbia and South Carolina in general. Who knows, maybe my son will end up being a Gamecock...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,035,695 times
If you are in West Columbia for work, I would focus on areas west of I-26 towards and on into Lexington or also along Bush River Rd. north of malfunction junction (I-20/I-26 interchange.) Lexington SD 1 & Richland-Lexington 5 are typically rated well for SC school districts. You should easily be able to find a 1 or 2 BR apartment in the $700 range in those areas.

Sorry to hear about all the drama you've had at home, hopefully Columbia will give you a fresh new start! You are coming at the right time of year, September-December, the weather is better those months than any other time IMO; you may get a little of the intense summer heat in the early part of September, but nothing like we have in July & August.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM

803 posts, read 1,468,125 times
The town of Lexington would probably be your best bet. Schools are good, cost of living is low, and it's convenient to where your job will be. Not 100% sure if you'll be able to find a newer apartment within your price range, though.

South Carolina will definitely be different from where you're coming from, but I think you'll like it. The summertime weather may very well be your biggest adjustment, it'll still be pretty hot when you arrive in September and you'll likely need to run the A/C into October. Columbia has very good shopping and dining, and the University lends a presence in the arts and sports. As a USC alum (you'll soon learn that "USC" is, in fact, not that other school out in Los Angeles), I hope he does decide to stay close to his new home and become a Gamecock!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,044,597 times
when looking for apts, check out some of the sites online to get reviews. Any picture can look good, but they dnot always tell the entire story. My sister recently moved down and into her first apt in the Lexington area. Nice location, but terrible management and many problems so she had to find another spot just 2 months later. Which she has and is much happier (still in Lexington). Guess point being--cost isnt everything; there can be good safe values and there will be others that are cheaper but you will see why the minute you pull in. But i do think Lexington would be a good starting point to look at.

We relocated from WI 3+ years ago, and can honestly say you will find winter here is like fall in the north... and rare is the snow. And being in this region allows for many things close by to see and do, plus the ocean and mountains are just 2 hours away. So welcome!

on a personal note, I have to say, as one who grew up in a violent abusive home for most of my youth, i can applaud what you are doing. Most of the times one parent remains with their spouse regardless of how bad it is for them and their children. So props to you for making yourself and your son the priority here!
Best of luck on the move.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 AM

611 posts, read 923,023 times
You should be able to find a 1 or 2br apartment in the Lexington or Irmo area around your budget. Both areas are safe, have good schools, and will be an easy commute to West Columbia for work.

Best of luck with your move and welcome to SC!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM

57 posts, read 95,942 times
Love Lake Carolina and Blythewood HS

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,688,898 times
Two of my friends (both MD's and married to each other) live in Irmo and their two daughters (2 years apart) go to Irmo High. My friends say Irmo High is an excellent school and they are very happy with their daughters being there.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM

24 posts, read 42,346 times
Check out rental houses too. Especially out on the western side of Lexington, towards Gilbert/redbank. The rental house market here is huge right now. You might get a better rate from someone who can't sell their house. Definitely stay on the western side of I-26, up as far as Irmo is good advice.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 126,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedstoknow View Post
Love Lake Carolina and Blythewood HS

You can't rent in Lake Carolina for 700.00 mth,

even the apts on Hard Scrabble are over 800.00 and it is a long way to west columbia from there

Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 126,576 times
Call My friend Billy Cantey with Cantey and Company, they are a property rental compnay and can find you a nice place in your budget and in a decent school district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area