Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 19,779 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a position in Orangeburg SC. My husband works in Augusta, Ga (which is where we currently live). We were thinking of trying to find a place where we can split the commute. I was thinking Lexington area, which has great schools and he can drive an hour to Augusta and I can drive an hour to Orangeburg and our kids can go to school in Lexington (after a year at Orangeburg location I will have opportunity to move to the Columbia office).

Does anyone know of any other location to make this an easier commute for us? We aren't familiar with the areas of SC or Ga for that matter (California natives).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfrancsicolove View Post
I'm interviewing for a position in Orangeburg SC. My husband works in Augusta, Ga (which is where we currently live). We were thinking of trying to find a place where we can split the commute. I was thinking Lexington area, which has great schools and he can drive an hour to Augusta and I can drive an hour to Orangeburg and our kids can go to school in Lexington (after a year at Orangeburg location I will have opportunity to move to the Columbia office).

Does anyone know of any other location to make this an easier commute for us? We aren't familiar with the areas of SC or Ga for that matter (California natives).

TIA!
Wow! I know you gotta do what you gotta do; but Hubby will have an hour on I-20(on a good day) PLUS any time and distance getting TO the interstate. If you go far enough 'west' to help him out, your access to I-26 toward O-burg could get really nasty. Forty years ago, you could have lived along Hwy 1, Augusta Rd and 'split the difference' for the two commutes; but just getting to the highways from that area is no walk in the park.

I'm really hoping you can get the Columbia job sooner or tele-commute 2-3 days a week! The Lexington idea works better for Hubby, but the closer you are to I-20, the tougher it is to get clear on I-26.

Best of luck! Hope some of the locals will have a magic potion for you!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
If they're from California an hour commute is probably not that bad to them. Lexington isn't between the 2 areas, but it is equidistant.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
If they're from California an hour commute is probably not that bad to them. Lexington isn't between the 2 areas, but it is equidistant.
But, don't you want them to enjoy the refreshing calm lifestyle that IS the Southeast? Not to mention > 60K miles of driving JUST to and from work each year? My Sis has commuted from Harbison to O-burg for the last 20 years...I'm sure it's aged her an extra decade during that time.

Back in '79-'80, my rep job had me needing to get from Atlanta or Augusta to O-burg or Charleston on more than one occasion. Looking at the current map, I guess I was the only one wanting a real highway to connect Augusta to Charleston or even I 26 closer to Orangeburg. "You can't get there from here!"

Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
But, don't you want them to enjoy the refreshing calm lifestyle that IS the Southeast? Not to mention > 60K miles of driving JUST to and from work each year? My Sis has commuted from Harbison to O-burg for the last 20 years...I'm sure it's aged her an extra decade during that time.

Back in '79-'80, my rep job had me needing to get from Atlanta or Augusta to O-burg or Charleston on more than one occasion. Looking at the current map, I guess I was the only one wanting a real highway to connect Augusta to Charleston or even I 26 closer to Orangeburg. "You can't get there from here!"
I wouldn't want a commute like that, but that is their decision. I was only answering their question. I have a 10 minute commute to work, which is the way I like it.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I wouldn't want a commute like that, but that is their decision. I was only answering their question. I have a 10 minute commute to work, which is the way I like it.
There ya go! At my last real job, we lived 2.1 miles away. I could make it in twelve minutes on the bicycle if I needed to.

I worked at John H. Harland in 'Springdale' back in the '70s. That 14 miles of Interstate was mighty long going in at midnight or getting off at 7 or 8am. Taught tennis at the Carolina Eastman rec area, also. Some days, that felt like I was going to Charleston!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
my sister lives in Lexington and works in Augusta; she deals with the commute for now as she is a more recent transplant and wanted to remain close enough to us as well. Add in she had a longer commute back home so this isnt new to her. I do think though that as she gets more settled down here and gets a larger circle of friends, that living say in Aiken may work better for her in the long run.
I can add though that she doesnt run into many issues on 20 so for the most part it's a pretty easy drive

Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM

Yes we are from California, I must say the 15 min drive no traffic to work for me the last 2 years has been fantastic, but an hour doesn't "feel" too bad after living in San Francisco and working in various locations. My husband used to live in SF with me and drive out to Livermore, then from there drive to his job site (he is an electrician), essentially spending up to 4 hours driving in a day. His current position in Augusta told him they have lots of work in Columbia so hopefully he will only have to do his commute to Augusta a few days a week.

Any other locations to help us out would be great though! We have young children (4 years and 1 year) and don't want to move them again after a year (because 4 y/o will be in K). I don't want them sitting in the car with me for an hour to get to school...it's rough...but this is my first "real" job as a professional out of training/residency and you have to start where they put you :-( .

I want a 10 min commute...sigh...

Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 AM

[quote=10scoachrick;26822325]But, don't you want them to enjoy the refreshing calm lifestyle that IS the Southeast? Not to mention > 60K miles of driving JUST to and from work each year? My Sis has commuted from Harbison to O-burg for the last 20 years...I'm sure it's aged her an extra decade during that time.

By the way...WE WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS ^^^ LOL...

but like PP said...you gotta do what you gotta do...hope it doesn't kill us all while we're grasping for that piece of American Apple Pie!!! I've gone through 5 years of grad school, internship, and post-doctoral residency...1 more year of pushing and hopefully we'll be golden...(just keep swimming, just keep swimming)...

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,521 times
I dislike Lexington so much that I left a job 5 minutes from my house to go back to Aiken County with about a 45 minute commute. Now if I can just sell my house and move back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area