Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 09:40 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I think we’d have to worry more about Lex-Rich 5. They would not want that are in their district. Unfortunately there are lots of snobby people on the school board who would look down on such places as Eau Claire. And to that schools board Harbison West and Irmo High are bad schools. Not up to their standards. So imagine how they’d treat the schools here.
Oh I wasn't suggesting that that take over Eau Claire.. just a portion of the Eau Claire Zone which extends into Northern Richland County. For the most part it is rural undeveloped fairly low population...By moving it into Lex Rich 5 maybe the perception of the area could change since school districts do drive investment. It would likely make more sense for it to go into District 2 since it is immediately adjacent and not separated by any natural boundaries... I just didn't know if Dist 2 or Lex Rich 5 for that matter was interested in expanding. If Blythewood and Westwood Zones were extended into this area up Monticello and Fairfield Road... You would likely see immediate growth.

I know most don't like sprawl, but if the County wants to continue to grow (though hopefully in a more thoughtful manner) Northern Richland is likely the best option. Lower Richland also has school challenges and residents have been anti growth...NE Richland is filling up especially around I-20 Percival Road upper two notch Corridors (Pontiac) and even in Blythewood and the County is losing growth to Kershaw County in the Lugoff Elgin Area.. The best infrastructure to accommodate future growth over time are up these two corridors (Monticello and Fairfield Roads)..and schools are likely the key to that growth occurring. To the extent that Richland County School Districts are influenced by Richland County Govt. This would be what I would be pushing if I were on County Council. That said, I believe that and district boundary change would require approval from the State? Others please correct me if I am wrong.

A similar issue happened in Sumter. Sumter District 17 was the "preferred school district" and included most of the City and immediate suburbs. Sumter District 2 included most of the rural and outlying areas and had some underperforming schools...Subdivisions would literally be built up to the Dist 17 line but would not cross into Dist 2. All driven by school performance.. Growth of the City suburbs and thus the City's expansion was stifled because of this as desirable land inside Dist 17 was disappearing ..Picture a doughnut and Dist 17 was the hole surrounded by Dist 2. Elected officials pushed for consolidation.. it happened and the lines were redrawn with some of the most desirable land still going to the old Dist 17 zoned schools and development marched on towards Shaw AFB and up 521 after the consolidation

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-09-2020 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Lots of good stuff happening in West Columbia.... I wonder if the Capitol Shopping Center will ever get redeveloped? Next to the Chicken Plant and the City owned Waste Water Plant.. it is likely one of the largest development opportunities on the waterfront.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9952.../data=!3m1!1e3

The new brewery seems to be progressing well

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ruction/78758/

Old 07-08-2020, 08:51 PM

1,124 posts, read 907,304 times
Can we please start a movement to bring this idea back? Especially now that almost all on council are brand new different members not in office then?

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...e72634102.html

Old 07-09-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Can we please start a movement to bring this idea back? Especially now that almost all on council are brand new different members not in office then?

Would be nice.. but COVID may scare anyone from moving this forward.. both from a health and possibly the financial fall out from it.. What 200 acres does Richland County own in NE/Blythewood and why? Was it possibly part of an industrial park?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:20 PM

511 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:

This epidemic is a PERFECT example of why we don't want our tax dollars going to something like this. While it is neat to have a water park, I don't want to have to worry about the taxes going to subsidize it. I imagine Charleston is suffering paying for thiers right now, although they seem to be alright during the good times.

It would be nice to help a private co open it, but I just don't want us to pay for it. I am against paying for sports stadiums too. I don't like the idea of places like Chalotte paying for the stadium so millionares can make more money.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 AM

Every little bit helps.... This plus the announced demolition of Allen Benedict Court on Harden Street will be a boost to Columbia Neighborhoods...

https://www.thecolumbiastar.com/arti...neighborhoods/

Old 07-10-2020, 11:45 AM

511 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Every little bit helps.... This plus the announced demolition of Allen Benedict Court on Harden Street will be a boost to Columbia Neighborhoods...

https://www.thecolumbiastar.com/arti...neighborhoods/
That article is from 2010.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:39 PM

177 posts, read 119,401 times
The funding fell through for the water park because no one on country council knew what to do with it, what the scales was going to be and who was going to manage it. Plus the sank all their money into the failed renaissance plan which ended up costing way more than the water park.

We need more stuff to do in Columbia. It’s ridiculous we don’t have a water park with 100+ degree heat but I see billboard in Columbia to go to some podunk little town that has one an hour away.

We need to capitalize on entertainment in a big way once COVID passes.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
That article is from 2010.
Oops. Let's hope it was well spent. Allen Benedict is more recent so I am curious to see what goes in it's place

Old 07-15-2020, 05:29 AM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times
This is certainly welcome as opposed to the plan prior to this of demolishing the building.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...244221322.html

Also, The Palms has begun construction at Lady and Assembly

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ruction/78867/

Also theres the Otarre development south of Columbia. If I remember correctly I believe there was another announcement of an apartment building getting the green light across from the SC School of Law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area