Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2024, 06:30 PM
 
8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Reputation: 2536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
I'm just thinking that South Carolina is a poor economic and cultural fit for intercity rail service. I think I'm correct in saying that, despite the relatively close distance, relatively few people travel from Columbia to Charlotte, or vice versa, as a destination in itself. Moreover, they would need vehicles once they get there, unless their activity were being confined to the downtown area. Both cities are pretty spread out.

What it might do, is to make that relatively sparsely populated area between the two cities, Fairfield and Chester counties, more attractive for commuters who work in either city, especially if they have come from a part of the country where people do indeed take a train to work (think the Boston-Washington corridor). If I lived in, say, Winnsboro, and worked on Main Street in Columbia, I'd far rather take the train every morning, than drive that distance. Similar possibilities exist for the Greenville-to-Columbia and Charleston-to-Columbia corridors. Newberry is a very attractive, well-regarded town, and for those who wouldn't mind a train ride from Newberry to downtown Columbia (or Greenville for that matter), it could easily become a bedroom community for Columbia with the development that goes with that. Anything would be an improvement over I-26 and Malfunction Junction.
Very true.. you wonder if housing prices keep going up and people can work remote.. would some of these towns would become more attractive to live. I know people who during the pandemic decamped from DC and moved to Richmond, VA. They can take the train to DC one day a week and work from home the other four. The main reason.. They can buy a historic mansion in downtown Richmond for what they can get for a condo in DC, They can also have an urban DC like experience walking to restaurants, coffee shops and entertainment offered in Richmond though it may be a lesser scale than DC..its available none the less.. I know that is not applicable to Columbia Charlotte but it would be interesting to see where rail is put in if similar trends occur in those places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2024, 06:39 PM
 
8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Reputation: 2536
Speaking of commuter services. Sumter to Columbia commuter services already exists between the two....I wonder how well it is utilized.

https://www.swrta.com/system-information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2024, 11:24 PM
Status: "Emo" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia,SC
1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Are there enough people who would ever ride it, to make it financially viable?

It's a great idea, but this is not Europe. Sadly, Americans outside of the Northeast Corridor aren't accustomed to taking trains, and probably never will be.
yes. Americans want this. We use to have this it was a normal thing before car centric America destroyed our cities and our environment we don't need to have super dense cities to have viable rail. just by connecting towns people will naturally get on board. the development and density will follow immediately afterwards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Status: "Emo" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia,SC
1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
Reputation: 182
Oh yeah I forgot to post this here, but Bill 5347, to establish a study for commuter rail, has been referred to this committee.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/Committ...ouseEducation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2024, 08:38 PM
 
8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Reputation: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to post this here, but Bill 5347, to establish a study for commuter rail, has been referred to this committee.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/Committ...ouseEducation/
Wow.. that is good news! I hope the Governor signs it. Who introduced this legislation and where are they from? I have always thought that I-77 would be the best corridor for adding rail to the median of a highway especially for a Charlotte to Columbia route. Not having to pay money and go to court to take peoples land could certainly speed up the process. I-95 would be a good location for the coastal high speed rail. It wouldn't benefit SC Cities per se.. But it would definitely help the creation of an east coastline from NYC to Florida

Here again.. If I were Mayor of Columbia I would be promoting this legislation and encouraging various cities and towns that could benefit to get on board..Maybe he is or has... it seems like a real opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2024, 12:08 PM
 
246 posts, read 202,323 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of commuter services. Sumter to Columbia commuter services already exists between the two....I wonder how well it is utilized.

https://www.swrta.com/system-information
If you worked in downtown Columbia and lived in Sumter, that would be the way to go. The drive from Sumter to Columbia is mind-numbing, and once you get to Garners Ferry, it is a very difficult commute into the center of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2024, 02:04 PM
Status: "Emo" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia,SC
1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. that is good news! I hope the Governor signs it. Who introduced this legislation and where are they from? I have always thought that I-77 would be the best corridor for adding rail to the median of a highway especially for a Charlotte to Columbia route. Not having to pay money and go to court to take peoples land could certainly speed up the process. I-95 would be a good location for the coastal high speed rail. It wouldn't benefit SC Cities per se.. But it would definitely help the creation of an east coastline from NYC to Florida

Here again.. If I were Mayor of Columbia I would be promoting this legislation and encouraging various cities and towns that could benefit to get on board..Maybe he is or has... it seems like a real opportunity
Our new mayor seems very keen on developing Columbia into a World Class city. Right now People think of SC They think of Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Greenville. He wants people to think of Columbia. Getting Commuter Rail built up to connect surrounding towns and Connecting cities like Charlotte, Charleston and Greenville I think it will accelerate Columbia's growth

One of the big things That he was talking about at the Blue Zone forum is developing our river not just to have trails but also build it up.

I can tell they are making that shift as they just recently changed their logo which is a crescent representing SC Flag and 3 Rivers inside of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2024, 06:57 PM
 
8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Reputation: 2536
Columbia struggles with its identity and logos/motto. Capital Place to Be (Sucked) Famously Hot (sounded like we were the kings of BBQ)... This logo does look somewhat attractive. I like the Soda City moniker but I am likely in the minority. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2024, 04:45 AM
 
757 posts, read 569,971 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Our new mayor seems very keen on developing Columbia into a World Class city. Right now People think of SC They think of Myrtle Beach, Charleston or Greenville. He wants people to think of Columbia. Getting Commuter Rail built up to connect surrounding towns and Connecting cities like Charlotte, Charleston and Greenville I think it will accelerate Columbia's growth

One of the big things That he was talking about at the Blue Zone forum is developing our river not just to have trails but also build it up.

I can tell they are making that shift as they just recently changed their logo which is a crescent representing SC Flag and 3 Rivers inside of it.
This logo is miles ahead of the brick C logo from a few years ago. The rivers are key- there are so few cities with multiple rivers and even fewer that have land to develop them. Of course they need to work around the flood risk, but I'm glad he's finally pushing for the recreational path as that will unlock the residential and business development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2024, 09:22 AM
 
37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Reputation: 27281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Columbia struggles with its identity and logos/motto. Capital Place to Be (Sucked) Famously Hot (sounded like we were the kings of BBQ)... This logo does look somewhat attractive. I like the Soda City moniker but I am likely in the minority. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
This logo is miles ahead of the brick C logo from a few years ago. The rivers are key- there are so few cities with multiple rivers and even fewer that have land to develop them. Of course they need to work around the flood risk, but I'm glad he's finally pushing for the recreational path as that will unlock the residential and business development.
The new logo--which complements the new city flag nicely--is for use by the city. "Famously Hot" and the brick C logo came from the CVB, now known as Experience Columbia which still uses the brick C logo for their purposes. I think "Famously Hot" may have been retired which I kinda liked myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top