Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 10,384 times

Advertisements

I am in the final stages of retiring from my current career and planning a permanent move to Columbia, specifically Irmo or Lexington. My girlfriend may possibly move with me. She is currently a full-time, certified kindergarten teacher here in Texas. We understand the reciprocity situation for licensing but can anybody help with info regarding actual job opportunities in the K-5 levels around Lexington 1 or 5?

We are scouring the district sites, too, but I was hoping someone could chime in on the real time situation i.e. do the job openings exist or is it impossible? Is there a huge surplus of qualified teachers or is there a shortage?

She is well-qualified, experienced and respected in our home district, getting hired shouldn't be the issue if the positions exist. Do they?

Thanks for any help.

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 AM

138 posts, read 412,884 times
I would think that they do exist. My wife is in a similar situation. She has used the CERRA site to search for openings in the area, and there is also a job fair at the Columbia Conv Center on 5/24. I don't think they would host such a fair if openings weren't available, or at least expected to be for the upcoming year. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,661 times
Search news stories on News, sports and weather for Columbia, SC| The State & TheState.com. You will find that Lexington 1 and Lex/Rich 5 are both hiring for next year.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,153 times
I used to teach in Lexington 1, but left and now commute back to my old position in Aiken County. There are jobs, but the market is tough, especially for elementary. They love out of state people (especially Ohio), so that's a good thing. A bad thing would be they also love USC graduates and they can hire recent ones a whole lot cheaper than your girlfriend. Unfortunately, you missed their job fair, where they also make some hires (especially for jobs you might only see posted for a day or 2...they've already filled it with someone). I wish you success in your search.

Last edited by Tiger17; 05-13-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,384 times
Thank you all very much for the info. I'm really excited about the area and what I perceive as a huge quality of life improvement over Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area