Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM

60 posts, read 163,188 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any schools (middle schools) in the Columbia area (all surrounding areas included like Irmo, Lexington ect) that would be good for a child with aspergers? We just keep getting one school after another that is sadly not living up to expectations. I love what Glen Forest has to offer, I only wish it wasn't almost $20k a year, which i can't afford right now. I really feel a smaller class size is what is ultimately needed, unfortunatly the "normal" class size seems to be 20+ and the teacher seems stressed because there are other children in the classroom with "issues" besides mine, but mine is usually the only one diagnosed. Am i fooling myself that we will find this in a public school setting? I'd like to move to another state, however, my job and my husband's job are in SC so we are going to try to make it work here before we totally relocate.....again! lol Thanks for any info anyone can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,100 times
I don't live in columbia anymore but worked as a Behavioral therapist for autistic children while I was there. If your child is in a mainstream classroom there will always be thirty kids in a room and yours might possibly get a shadow for part of the day but I can't imagine them getting much special help from the teacher. If they are not mainstreamed I would go for lex/rich 5. They have a fairly decent program. There are some lexington schools that are good, but some of the special ed programs are oversubscribed.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
We love the Lexington/Richland 5. Irmo Middle and Crossroad Middle has done wonderful with our AS child, especially Irmo Middle when he was first diagnosed. (Irmo Middle is 6th grade only while Crossroads is 7th and 8th.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area