Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM

66 posts, read 122,971 times

Advertisements

The Wilmington, NC MSA, as of 2012, consisted of New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender counties with a population of 263,429. The person that thought that Brunswick County had become part of the Myrtle beach MSA was mistaken. In addition, for outlying counties to meet the commuting threshold, 15% of the county's workforce must commute into the central county and/or other counties within the MSA for that county to be part of that MSA. Commuters of those other MSA counties commuting to the county in question do not count. It is not two way commuting as someone suggested. Also, someone suggested that Columbia's CSA may merge with the Augusta MSA or Charlotte CSA or Charleston MSA. That is not going to happen. Consider that the Washington and Baltimore MSAs are only 25 miles apart and are still independent of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drqhome View Post
The Wilmington, NC MSA, as of 2012, consisted of New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender counties with a population of 263,429. The person that thought that Brunswick County had become part of the Myrtle beach MSA was mistaken.
Actually you are mistaken on this point: Brunswick County to remain in Myrtle Beach metro area | StarNewsOnline.com

This is the document from the OMB that shows the new MSA/CSA delineations. Page 41 clearly demonstrates that Brunswick County, NC is now part of the Myrtle Beach MSA. Wilmington's MSA now only consists of New Hanover and Pender counties: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...013/b13-01.pdf

Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
How much does politics influence CSA MSA debate? I didnt know if it was strictly a tool of the Census Bureau of if there is federal money attached to it.. which can make cities like Columbia and Sumter not want to be in the same one because one may take Federal money from the other or have to SHARE....

Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
How much does politics influence CSA MSA debate? I didnt know if it was strictly a tool of the Census Bureau of if there is federal money attached to it.. which can make cities like Columbia and Sumter not want to be in the same one because one may take Federal money from the other or have to SHARE....
Politics really has no influence on this, it pretty much happens since it does not change a tax base or anything of that nature nor does it change where you live it just defines it as something different.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Politics has nothing to do with it. If the commuting patterns are there, Sumter gets included, no questions.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 21,261 times
Sumter, Lee, and Clarendon Counties are a Tri-County area, as considered by many government agencies, locally and state level, and the City of Sumter has it's own Metropolitan Statistical Area. http://www.census.gov/population/est...city/List4.txt

Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Politics has nothing to do with it. If the commuting patterns are there, Sumter gets included, no questions.

Which is strange.. I would have thought that a good number of people already commuted from Sumter to Columbia... but then again.. from a cost a living perspective.. you could just move to Columbia versus commute from Sumter since both cities are likely comparable. Having made that commute myself for several years.. I wish they would turn 378 into an "expressway" by atleast eliminating some of the median cross overs. Every dirt road or trail up into the woods has their own cross over which causes many a person to slow down in the left lane while attempting to manuver on to it thus causing a rear end crash when someone is trying to pass someone in the left lane only to encounter a vehicle making a slow left at a location that is not that obvious.. I used to see dozens of wrecks.. but I guess SCDOT doesnt feel that its a problem

Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Quote:
Which is strange.. I would have thought that a good number of people already commuted from Sumter to Columbia... but then again.. from a cost a living perspective.. you could just move to Columbia versus commute from Sumter since both cities are likely comparable. Having made that commute myself for several years.. I wish they would turn 378 into an "expressway" by atleast eliminating some of the median cross overs. Every dirt road or trail up into the woods has their own cross over which causes many a person to slow down in the left lane while attempting to manuver on to it thus causing a rear end crash when someone is trying to pass someone in the left lane only to encounter a vehicle making a slow left at a location that is not that obvious.. I used to see dozens of wrecks.. but I guess SCDOT doesnt feel that its a problem
I think you are WAY off with that comparison. Sumter is far cheaper to live in than Columbia. My house in Sumter located in a comparable neighborhood in Columbia would be at least 50% more. For example, my house is 3000 sq ft and recently upgraded with new kitchen and baths. My neighborhood is comparable to Shandon. I bought my home 4 years ago just under $250,000. With the market today, it really hasn't appreciated much. In fact it may be worth $10,000 less. Look up houses in Shandon and tell me what they are going for.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Perhaps I looked at this wrong or perhaps I am missing another criteria for this but according to the census, a county becomes considered a part of an adjacent MSA or CSA when more than 15% but less than 25% of their workforce commutes to the parent MSA. By that standard and according to the SC Commerce stats on commuting patterns, Sumter County qualifies:

Sumter Residents that work in:
Richland Co: 11.40%
Lexington Co: 3.40%
Kershaw Co: 2.30%

All three counties are in the Columbia MSA.
So, real question, could this still eventually happen? Maybe in two years?

Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
So, real question, could this still eventually happen? Maybe in two years?
A man with the Census Bureau told me on the phone that it has to be 25% for a county to be added to the MSA. He said Newberry County missed by only 7/10 of a percentage point in the 2010 census. It might make it this time, unless Newberry's late addition of jobs makes more Newberryians stay home to work. Meanwhile, anecdotally, I know a lot of people seem to be driving from Walterboro and Colleton County to the Charleston metro for work. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area