Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Well.........our resident troll is back.

This project will be a success for a number of reasons, 1. Hughes is a good developer. 2. Columbia is an underserved market in retail, hotel and in the coming years, office. 3. Like it or not, Baseball has brought life back into a number of cities....Greenville, Durham, Greensboro and others. Charlotte just opened the new Knights stadium in 3rd Ward next to Bearden Park and is averaging close to 10k fans per game. The stadium is not month or two old and developers are already buying land for 25-30 story apartments with ground floor retail. For the politically inclined, this adds revenue to the city which, depending on the investment, will have a positive payback for the city.

New that the Babcock is under contract is a big step forward. This project will be north of $50m which is serious money for most.

You could argue that this development will spread out Columbia more (which I don't necessarily buy) but to say it is a "boondoggle" is a joke.

The new stadium in Charlotte has been a great success, but the high rise apartments in the area would have probably been built anyway. Seventeen apartment projects are under various stages of construction now downtown. Four of those apartment buildings are high rises between 28 and 42 stories. Two of the high rises are in the vicinity of the new stadium. But I do think that several new low dollar restaurants near the stadium were built at least partially due to the new stadium. And there are another (maybe) six restaurants in the vicinity of the stadium that changed their hours open due to the stadium. But I will say more and more people living downtown, working downtown, eating at restaurants downtown, and enjoying other entertainment downtown is the key. Then you add more entertainment such as baseball and other amenities. Then you add more residents. And the cycle continues over and over. But there must be a commitment from city leaders to commit to the the success of downtown long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
The stadium is looking good.

Photos: Fireflies meet the fans | The State

Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
The new stadium in Charlotte has been a great success, but the high rise apartments in the area would have probably been built anyway. Seventeen apartment projects are under various stages of construction now downtown. Four of those apartment buildings are high rises between 28 and 42 stories. Two of the high rises are in the vicinity of the new stadium. But I do think that several new low dollar restaurants near the stadium were built at least partially due to the new stadium. And there are another (maybe) six restaurants in the vicinity of the stadium that changed their hours open due to the stadium. But I will say more and more people living downtown, working downtown, eating at restaurants downtown, and enjoying other entertainment downtown is the key. Then you add more entertainment such as baseball and other amenities. Then you add more residents. And the cycle continues over and over. But there must be a commitment from city leaders to commit to the the success of downtown long-term.

I think most people are hoping that the team and the Cola Commons works out..especially now since we are fully "invested".. Many are just jaded by the politics on how these types of deals and projects seem to get pulled together often times pitting one community or group against another.. In this case neighborhoods outside the CBD vs the CBD...I don't think its unique to Columbia.. I guess its just a matter of where people/residents feel the priorities should be...

Charlotte has/is going through some of the same challenges with the Light Rail.. I think since its more of a professional sports town than Columbia.. it may have been an easier sell to the electorate for the Baseball Stadium given the Bobcats and certainly the Panthers already being in town.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think most people are hoping that the team and the Cola Commons works out..especially now since we are fully "invested".. Many are just jaded by the politics on how these types of deals and projects seem to get pulled together often times pitting one community or group against another.. In this case neighborhoods outside the CBD vs the CBD...I don't think its unique to Columbia.. I guess its just a matter of where people/residents feel the priorities should be...

Charlotte has/is going through some of the same challenges with the Light Rail.. I think since its more of a professional sports town than Columbia.. it may have been an easier sell to the electorate for the Baseball Stadium given the Bobcats and certainly the Panthers already being in town.
Good point about the urban vs. suburban/rural divide on this issue. As an downtown resident, I've long been in support of this project even though I wish we had more concrete announcements. The transformative potential of the project and its ability to significantly add to Columbia's tax base is worth the investment. A vibrant, prosperous center city is good for the region as a whole, but many people nonetheless see these types of things as a zero sum game. That's a shame.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Good point about the urban vs. suburban/rural divide on this issue. As an downtown resident, I've long been in support of this project even though I wish we had more concrete announcements. The transformative potential of the project and its ability to significantly add to Columbia's tax base is worth the investment. A vibrant, prosperous center city is good for the region as a whole, but many people nonetheless see these types of things as a zero sum game. That's a shame.

I would dive a little deeper and say its CBD vs. the "older interburban" neighborhoods as opposed to the suburbs. Columbia has annexed many traditional and newer suburbs. I don't see opposition really stemming from that group. Its more likely in places like Eau Claire, Beltline Blvd, and to a lesser extent places like SE Columbia, Rosewood and Lake Katherine. Lake Katherine is an older established intown suburb that looks, feels and operates as if it is out in Spring Valley or Lake Murray. I know older families in this area that feel that they have carried the tax burden for Columbia for decades (and they have) and are getting screwed with poor drainage/flooding and bad streets. They feel that they deserve better services (infrastructure) for what they contribute. That is why any mention of "water and sewer fund" to build new infrastructure elsewhere in the city raises their ire. Parts of Eau Claire and neighborhoods along Beltline and in Pinehurst are the opposite and feel that they are being discriminated against because of race and income. Both populations may not take advantage nor frequent some of the new developments in the Vista and Columbia Commons but for different reasons.....

Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
And we have a mascot! Meet Mason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwN5Xg4Odjs

Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
The Fireflies won only one out of four against the Charleston Riverdogs in Charleston and only one out of four against the Greenville Drive at home. And the Gamecocks just got blown out by UNC in Charlotte and just dropped this weekend's series against Georgia. Baseball in Columbia is in the doldrums.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:35 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The Fireflies won only one out of four against the Charleston Riverdogs in Charleston and only one out of four against the Greenville Drive at home. And the Gamecocks just got blown out by UNC in Charlotte and just dropped this weekend's series against Georgia. Baseball in Columbia is in the doldrums.
The Gamecocks are still 29-8 and tied for first in the SEC at 11-4.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The Gamecocks are still 29-8 and tied for first in the SEC at 11-4.
Good. "Doldrums" by definition refers only to the current state or period.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:30 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Good. "Doldrums" by definition refers only to the current state or period.
It's baseball. With so many games, there will be "doldrums," even for the best teams.

We've still won 5 out of the last 8 games we've played. In 2011, one of the years we won the world series, we lost to The Citadel.

I wouldn't be too worried yet if you're a Carolina baseball fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area