Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Sprawl at its worst. We don't need a strip mall there, what we need is infrastructure. They keep adding BS W/O adding roads or lanes, the traffic sux. Nobody in the entire region knows squat about planning.

Alas.. there are plenty of people who know about planning.. but there are more who dont CARE about Planning. Alot of this is driven by developers and banks who ultimately rub shoulders with local elected officials who then allow for rezonings and or take credit for "growth" no matter whether its good or bad. They will be long gone or on their way out by the time the real effects of their decisions are felt.

I recall when I worked for a small municipality in our fair state.. and sitting in a meeting and hearing a politician approve a somewhat controversial projects that required financing from the City. After the meeting I overheard him saying. "by the time the note on this loan comes due.. I will be long gone AHHAHAHAHAHA" he was saying it jokingly but I believe many Politicos want immediate gratification for their politics and care less about what the future holds when they are not around. Sprawl is a by product of this line of thinking by County and/or suburban town politicos who rub their hands together and smile when they see new subdivisions and strip malls lining the highway through town. These folks are long gone by the time the "new" growth leap frogs over the "old" growth and a new set of politicos take their seats at the table to ignore the "old" areas in order to preside over their own era of "growth". Its only when the growth stops when they say "we need to REVITALIZE the older sections of town/area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Sprawl at its worst. We don't need a strip mall there, what we need is infrastructure. They keep adding BS W/O adding roads or lanes, the traffic sux. Nobody in the entire region knows squat about planning.
Something sooner or later was going to go there, I just didn't know what. I'm not against it, since that gives me options that are extremely close by. At the same time, you're right. Highway 6 is starting to get problematic and of course this will only add to it. I remember a few years ago they were wanting to build a multi-story condo on the lake right across the road where the strip mall were talking about is going up. Could you imagine?
They turned it down, but again, sooner or later, that land is going to be developed. They did talk about adding a traffic light at the entrance of the Waterford subdivision if that condo was to be built. But yeah, it is a decent size plot of land, but its odd because there's a neighborhood immediately to the north and east of it, Woodley's Garden center south of it and then there's a single home with a farm. Doesn't really matter, I guess, but it just looks odd.

Woodlands- Interesting anecdote, I believe it!

Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
Smith, I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you, I'm just tired of the fact that no road improvements are being made. I was raised on Highway 6, my parents still live there, 43 years I think, it's just become a nightmare.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM

No worries, I didn't take it in such a way that you were jumping on me... Just frustrated, I'm sure. I've only lived out here for 10 years and I can tell a difference. I can't imagine how drastically different it has gotten while your parents have lived here.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 PM

100 posts, read 144,735 times
Security Federal Bank(finally after seeing the 'coming soon' sign for at least 4 yrs!) at Rauch Metz corner in Ballentine

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
Yet another student apartment building going up. Announced today:

EXCLUSIVE: Student apartments proposed for Shop Road near Williams-Brice Stadium | Business | The State

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
...with a request to be annexed into the city and opinions from residential real estate experts that the student apartment market isn't saturated.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
I know it begs the question of will USC swell to 40, 000 students by 2025?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:57 PM

WOW! Insane... Columbia already is a city of construction with student housing. So much change in just a 2 year span. Imagine if a couple of major office projects get announced...

Old 01-24-2015, 02:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Now we need to keep more students in Columbia after graduation and that takes jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area