Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 04:26 PM

346 posts, read 308,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Agree, but some people enjoy having something to complain about. That is one of the things I really like about people who choose to live here. I work for a very large company in town and frequently talk with co-workers who are in their 20-30's and everyone, gay, straight, trans, religious, or whatever seems really happy. I have four people on my street alone that moved here from larger cities around the region and are super happy. If it's not for you, it is best to move on I guess.

Good for them!! I could have been one also if I could find housing but I cannot. I have to live in hotels here and it sucks ass. Worse than I seen in FL as well with having to live in hotels and motels. I see the reason Columbia hotel living does so well TBH. Lack of housing. Now hiring signs all over but no housing.. Makes no sense.. I see lots of TX, NJ plates as well since getting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 05:53 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Excuses excuses.. even if no pandemic existed, I came to the realization it revolves around college and the military and housing shortages which did exist b4 Covid, I know because other cities its size had the same issues as well esp transient ones with like 100K.

Columbia I felt would be the no news is good news kinda place to go in Covid, but I should have picked some place busier due to the housing issues. I went to Augusta on a side note, felt cleaner and nicer.
I’d love to know what parts of Augusta and Columbia you saw because most would not agree with that ascertainment...

Old 05-08-2021, 03:38 PM

746 posts, read 748,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I’d love to know what parts of Augusta and Columbia you saw because most would not agree with that ascertainment...

Clearly a Troll or someone who is looking to reinforce an internalized bias about something. This forum has gotten so off topic anyway because of that person. I wish they would move on for their own happiness!

Old 05-09-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Clearly a Troll or someone who is looking to reinforce an internalized bias about something. This forum has gotten so off topic anyway because of that person. I wish they would move on for their own happiness!

Is that ur answer for it all? Oh I am a troll!! OH NOEZ!!

Get a life dude. I am dead serious when I make claims. I don't troll.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:00 AM

756 posts, read 567,332 times
Getting back on topic, it seems the consensus #1 seemed to be Earlewood back in 2015 when the thread was started. Has this changed at all?

I always found Columbia's gay population to be a bit strange in that it was a mix of USC students, 20/30 something men from small towns within 50 miles, middle aged gay/lesbian couples, and much older men (including some politicians) that at least to me seemed to lurk. The lack of bars (PTs, 1109, Capitol Club) really brought these very disparate groups together in a way that doesn't typically happen in larger cities. I'm curious, has the scene migrated/improved over time?

Old 05-11-2021, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Getting back on topic, it seems the consensus #1 seemed to be Earlewood back in 2015 when the thread was started. Has this changed at all?

I always found Columbia's gay population to be a bit strange in that it was a mix of USC students, 20/30 something men from small towns within 50 miles, middle aged gay/lesbian couples, and much older men (including some politicians) that at least to me seemed to lurk. The lack of bars (PTs, 1109, Capitol Club) really brought these very disparate groups together in a way that doesn't typically happen in larger cities. I'm curious, has the scene migrated/improved over time?

Ok thanks.

I don't even fit the LGBT demographic AT ALL then. I am a 40, single, Gen X Trans/3rd gender person. A lot more of my kind seem to be in Florida. I made a miscall with Columbia and chose it as a "covid safe" location. Now that might not have been such a good idea as I found some stuff I didn't like as well, not just the obvious advantages I saw. I found a lot more social conservatism in Columbia than I expected. Too too much that it even exceeds FL. Even the Trump people down there are more socially liberal next to this area.

I walked past a house on N Main I believe that had a rainbow flag on it and seemed like it was out of the 80s with 80s music going on the porch. I didn't get to talk to them so I don't know but thats all I saw. Mighta been in their 50s + I dunno and wanted to look younger. I did not see what I would think would be 40 in age like me.

So its students which make sense, amongst the liberal demographic and Gen Z.

Oh and I bet the waiter I saw at Pontiac House of Pizza might be gay, he looks in that age demographic 20/30 in small towns. like ritchie Valens with Native looks mixed with a little Slater from Pump up the Volume with a southern accent too, Nice kid. Like someone who would be straight'ish if was gay but I see it. A few friends but wouldn't fit in with tons of people at the same time, quiet I'd see him as.

Besides that though, most do not seem LGBTQ friendly though when I mention it about me to people. a LOT take issue to trans people just being themselves, not even shoving it in peoples face, just telling them if I have potential roommates or something, I gotta tell em then, right? and to have it held against me is a violation of me.

Oh and lack of bars, u betcha. I been finding. How do people even meet besides going to Church? I don't go. Hangout clubs of some kind? Downtown is like so dead now at night. Just 2 places open it seems like on Main that gets tons of people.. how can u even talk to people???

Old 05-11-2021, 10:26 AM

756 posts, read 567,332 times
Quote:
Ok thanks.

I don't even fit the LGBT demographic AT ALL then. I am a 40, single, Gen X Trans/3rd gender person. A lot more of my kind seem to be in Florida. I made a miscall with Columbia and chose it as a "covid safe" location. Now that might not have been such a good idea as I found some stuff I didn't like as well, not just the obvious advantages I saw. I found a lot more social conservatism in Columbia than I expected. Too too much that it even exceeds FL. Even the Trump people down there are more socially liberal next to this area.

I walked past a house on N Main I believe that had a rainbow flag on it and seemed like it was out of the 80s with 80s music going on the porch. I didn't get to talk to them so I don't know but thats all I saw. Mighta been in their 50s + I dunno and wanted to look younger. I did not see what I would think would be 40 in age like me.

So its students which make sense, amongst the liberal demographic and Gen Z.

Oh and I bet the waiter I saw at Pontiac House of Pizza might be gay, he looks in that age demographic 20/30 in small towns. like ritchie Valens with Native looks mixed with a little Slater from Pump up the Volume with a southern accent too, Nice kid. Like someone who would be straight'ish if was gay but I see it. A few friends but wouldn't fit in with tons of people at the same time, quiet I'd see him as.

Besides that though, most do not seem LGBTQ friendly though when I mention it about me to people. a LOT take issue to trans people just being themselves, not even shoving it in peoples face, just telling them if I have potential roommates or something, I gotta tell em then, right? and to have it held against me is a violation of me.

Oh and lack of bars, u betcha. I been finding. How do people even meet besides going to Church? I don't go. Hangout clubs of some kind? Downtown is like so dead now at night. Just 2 places open it seems like on Main that gets tons of people.. how can u even talk to people???
South Carolina is definitely more socially conservative than Florida (just look at the most recently polling figures), but they're both mainly conservative with more diverse pockets/cities. I'm from Florida originally and I doubt you'll find widespread inclusion there either. Tampa/Clearwater, which I take it is where you lived, feels more conservative than Orlando, which feels conservative compared to Miami, which feels conservative compared to a place like Key West. It's all relative.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. It's tough to move to a new place and you also happened to move at probably the worst time in recently history unfortunately. With the trans population already being marginalized, I suspect either a fairly dense major city or a gay bastion (a la Provincetown) might be what you're looking for given your responses.

My question about the local gay scene was really a question, I'm not up to date on which bars are still open/active these days and I'm curious about how it's changed in the last 5-10 years.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Excuses excuses.. even if no pandemic existed, I came to the realization it revolves around college and the military and housing shortages which did exist b4 Covid, I know because other cities its size had the same issues as well esp transient ones with like 100K.

Columbia I felt would be the no news is good news kinda place to go in Covid, but I should have picked some place busier due to the housing issues. I went to Augusta on a side note, felt cleaner and nicer.
Oh okay. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
South Carolina is definitely more socially conservative than Florida (just look at the most recently polling figures), but they're both mainly conservative with more diverse pockets/cities. I'm from Florida originally and I doubt you'll find widespread inclusion there either. Tampa/Clearwater, which I take it is where you lived, feels more conservative than Orlando, which feels conservative compared to Miami, which feels conservative compared to a place like Key West. It's all relative.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. It's tough to move to a new place and you also happened to move at probably the worst time in recently history unfortunately. With the trans population already being marginalized, I suspect either a fairly dense major city or a gay bastion (a la Provincetown) might be what you're looking for given your responses.

My question about the local gay scene was really a question, I'm not up to date on which bars are still open/active these days and I'm curious about how it's changed in the last 5-10 years.

As a Gay person who has lived here for 20 years, the bar scene has changed dramatically, but it has mirrored similar patterns in other places. There is less of a need for such places and so they tend to close and people go to "regular" bars and such. It is nothing to see gay couples, some with kids even, at local breweries with other straight couples and such. But, I agree for some that it is best if they are really looking for that majority LGBTQ areas they seek out a place like Wilton Manors, FL or Palm Springs, CA. Things have just generally integrated more and more.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I think over the last 10-15 years, there is far less stigma in general across the US. I think there are some areas where there is a higher concentration of LGBT people, especially in town, but I have gay/lesbian friends who live all over the area, heck even some in Gaston and Blythewood. I think we are entering a post gayborhood world pretty much everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area