Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 07:50 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
DDRC approved the design
As I knew they would. Doesn’t make any sense for them to deny it based on approved zoning. The company could have seriously sued the city over it. Much like the developer that wanted to build the student housing on Gervais by the law school was going to do before the DDRC realized that and changed its mind. Speaking of, whatever happened to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 08:59 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
As I knew they would. Doesn’t make any sense for them to deny it based on approved zoning. The company could have seriously sued the city over it. Much like the developer that wanted to build the student housing on Gervais by the law school was going to do before the DDRC realized that and changed its mind. Speaking of, whatever happened to that?
In Maryland they have what is called SLAPP(Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) Lawsuits where developers file lawsuits against residents/neighborhoods for speaking out against their project. I havent seen where they have been successful at suing anyone but from what I have heard it scares the hell out of people when they get a letter from a lawyer regarding what they have said publicly about a project. I provided a summary of a more recent case below.. This seems like a bizarre way to silence opposition that could only be effective if it were slander or libel if circulated in a flyer or a newsletter.. but I am no lawyer... LOL

In a precedent-setting decision, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals affirmed the dismissal of a SLAPP suit brought by a real estate developer against several residents and their community groups, who had opposed changes in a planned unit development located in Baltimore. The decision, MCB Woodberry Developer, LLC v. The Council of Unit Owners of the Millrace Condominium, Inc., et al., No. 1187, September Term 2020 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. Dec. 16, 2021), construed and applied a statute (Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 5-807) to protect the First Amendment rights of the Defendants to express their positions and to participate in governmental proceedings that affected matters of public concern. The statute immunized such activity and it barred retaliatory litigation tactics, known as strategic lawsuits against public participation, or SLAPP actions for short. The Court ruled that the developer’s suit met the statutory criteria for dismissal because the timing of the action – coupled with the monstrous compensatory and punitive damage claims, intrusive and oppressive discovery, and conclusory and unsubstantiated allegations – demonstrated the developer’s bad faith in commencing a suit that was expressly designed to silence opposition to its development.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Based on some Facebook groups I’m a part of a few NIMBYs on Benton are trying to kill the mixed income apartments planned for River/Benton. Their complaints? Overflow parking (there are 56 units, and over 70 parkings spaces and the only time everyone should be home is at night when everyone is home for bed, plus many households will probably only have 1 vehicle), the height will cast a shadow (even though the way the sunrises/sunsets means the only shadow that will be cast is on the road and NOMA Flats), and the roads not having enough capacity (even though River is only two lanes for like 2 miles and all other major roads around are at least 5). I don’t know about y’all, but I’m tired of entitled people and plan to be at the May 19th DDRC meeting and invite you all to come as well.
I live near there and the people against it had simply ludicrous arguments, IMO. I live in the city because I like a dense environment. It's the same people that complain about the baseball stadium, fireworks, etc.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:11 PM

333 posts, read 214,447 times
I see they have started clearing the land at Mason Rd and North Main for the apartment complex close to I-20. It was announced about 5 years ago.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:49 PM

273 posts, read 245,824 times
Big Cat, are you referring to Azurest? That would be awesome if it was. I forgot about that because I thought it was dead.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:54 PM

273 posts, read 245,824 times
Oh! I found it.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/plannin...R%20Packet.pdf

Old 06-07-2022, 02:34 PM

333 posts, read 214,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
Big Cat, are you referring to Azurest? That would be awesome if it was. I forgot about that because I thought it was dead.
Yes, I thought it was dead as well. The renamed it Garden Lakes. That end of North Main could really use the added development. Hopefully, it carries over into the shopping center across from there and on the other side of I-20.

OAN: Does anyone know if there are plans for any development at I-20 & Fairfield Rd. Trees were taken down at that corner years ago and it looked as if it was primed for a housing development to come in.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:42 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
To be honest, I’m amazed at how enormous this whole development is. I didn’t see any renderings of the buildings though?

I’ve got to say, this is the first time I’ve seen plans where they’ve counted every single tree on the property and which ones they’d save haha

I also love the fact their landscape will include a lot of native plants and evergreens as well. It seems like they did their best to make this a “green” development. Lastly, they’ll be saving the ponds on the property. Bravo to them, I hope this goes through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area