Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback, I have young children 7, 5, 3 months. Schools systems are very important to,us followed by amenties dining, shopping, etc. I actually work from home so will not have a daily commute. Have seen reviews on crime for irmo and it wasn't good. Overall, where is the best places surrounding Columbia to raise a family? What neighborhoods besides friarsgate should we try to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 PM

421 posts, read 576,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2live33 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I have young children 7, 5, 3 months. Schools systems are very important to,us followed by amenties dining, shopping, etc. I actually work from home so will not have a daily commute. Have seen reviews on crime for irmo and it wasn't good. Overall, where is the best places surrounding Columbia to raise a family? What neighborhoods besides friarsgate should we try to avoid?
I’ve said it before in other threads but Milford park would be a good subdivision to look into. Its a little north of Irmo. It’s a younger neighborhood and there’s a great school right next to it

Old 10-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Thanks Robert.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 AM

17 posts, read 20,448 times
Milford Park, Chelsea Park, Ashford are all great neighborhoods along with several others. At your price point you will be in a nice neighborhood with some of the best schools in the state as well as good neighborhood amenities.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:44 AM

I'm going explore Lexington and Irmothe first week of December. Does anyone know specific subdivisions to visit or stay away from. I understand Milford, chealsea park, and ashford are good. there must be a community pool or have room to add one,at the house. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 20,448 times
In Lexington I'd look at Wellesley, Hawthorne, Vitners Wood ( may be above your price point) The Mill, and Cherokee Village. Chapin, I'd suggest adding Stoney Pointe, ParkWest and Eagle Point. You may want to add Chestnut Hills to the Irmo list.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM

thanks, Jill!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM

127 posts, read 139,435 times
There are really just so many options for subdivisions that are in the Dutch Fork High zone that are good.

I feel like you should just drive to the intersection of Kennerly and Broad River Rd and start driving down Kennerly and just start exploring. That area that is bound by Broad River, Kennerly, and I-26 with Dutch Fork High at basically the center of this area has a lot of options.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM

1,124 posts, read 933,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2live33 View Post
I'm going explore Lexington and Irmothe first week of December. Does anyone know specific subdivisions to visit or stay away from. I understand Milford, chealsea park, and ashford are good. there must be a community pool or have room to add one,at the house. Thanks in advance.
Also try the neighborhoods of Quail Valley, Murraywood, Coldstream, and Whitehall. Also, look at subdivisions anywhere off Irmo Drive and Northlake Drive. They’re all zoned for Irmo HS. And even though people will tell you it’s the worst high school academically in the district (which comparatively it is), it still far exceeds the SC average and is quite on par with the US. But the elementary schools and middle schools they’re zoned for are by far the best in the school district. Irmo Elem, Nursery Road Elem, H.E. Corley Elem, Seven Oaks Elem and Ballentine Elem as well as Crossroads Intermediate, Irmo Middle, and Dutch Fork Middle. And don’t forget they all have magnet programs. (Part of Northlake Drive, the end closer to Ballentine, is zoned for Dutch Fork, once you cross county lines) Most if not all have a community pool. And most of the homes off Irmo or North Lake Drive already have pools, or big back yards to add one. Which is what my neighbors did in the Braewick Subdivision off Irmo Drive. One to stay away from, simply because it doesn’t have what you’re looking for, is Friarsgate. This is all on the Irmo side of the dam by the way.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 11-13-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 933,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Also try the neighborhoods of Quail Valley, Murraywood, Coldstream, and Whitehall. Also, look at subdivisions anywhere off Irmo Drive and Northlake Drive. They’re all zoned for Irmo HS. And even though people will tell you it’s the worst high school academically in the district (which comparatively it is), it still far exceeds the SC average and is quite on par with the US. But the elementary schools and middle schools they’re zoned for are by far the best in the school district. Irmo Elem, Nursery Road Elem, H.E. Corley Elem, Seven Oaks Elem and Ballentine Elem as well as Crossroads Intermediate, Irmo Middle, and Dutch Fork Middle. And don’t forget they all have magnet programs. (Part of Northlake Drive, the end closer to Ballentine, is zoned for Dutch Fork, once you cross county lines) Most if not all have a community pool. And most of the homes off Irmo or North Lake Drive already have pools, or big back yards to add one. Which is what my neighbors did in the Braewick Subdivision off Irmo Drive. One to stay away from, simply because it doesn’t have what you’re looking for, is Friarsgate. This is all on the Irmo side of the dam by the way.
I should also mention Ascot! It’s zoned for Dutch Fork. It’s a neighborhood made up of smaller subdivisions. Very, very upscale homes. There was even an infamous murder there because it was so unusual for the area. Was on Investigation Discovery and all, if you like crime dramas. But don’t let that deter you. The people there are all quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area