Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM

49 posts, read 64,692 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My boyfriend and I are considering relocating to SC possible in the fall. We currently live in Vermont and are ready for a change, as well as a lower cost of living and more mild temps year round. We are in our mid-upper 20s and are an active couple. We are hoping for a small(ish) town or city, definitely not directly in a downtown area or large city. We have read a lot about the Rosewood area but would love to hear more information. Are there restaurants and shops nearby? How is the renting scene (we hope to stay below $1100)? Are there nature trails or lakes nearby? Is it a relatively family friendly or quiet area?
We have visited the Charleston area before and loved it, however it was a little too cityish for my partner.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,854,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
Hi!
My boyfriend and I are considering relocating to SC possible in the fall. We currently live in Vermont and are ready for a change, as well as a lower cost of living and more mild temps year round. We are in our mid-upper 20s and are an active couple. We are hoping for a small(ish) town or city, definitely not directly in a downtown area or large city. We have read a lot about the Rosewood area but would love to hear more information. Are there restaurants and shops nearby? How is the renting scene (we hope to stay below $1100)? Are there nature trails or lakes nearby? Is it a relatively family friendly or quiet area?
We have visited the Charleston area before and loved it, however it was a little too cityish for my partner.

Those two neighborhoods are in the downtown of the second largest metro in the state. But both are very walkable areas are close to shopping and restaurants. Also it’s a short car drive, bike, bus ride or moped drive through downtown to the walking trails along the river. Also around a 20-30 minute drive to congaree National Park. Certainly for that rent you can afford most of Columbia. I will say maybe just take a drive around to see if it feels to cosmopolitan for you. It definely doesn’t feel too busy at least for me, Columbia’s like a Worcester or Springfield minus the connectedness major metro areas. To me it feels less busy than charleston which I know y’all complained about in another thread.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 AM

746 posts, read 753,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
Hi!

My partner and I live in Melrose Heights, which is two neighborhoods over. The only thing you might want to keep in mind is that During football games and the state fair (both of which are in the fall) will be very busy around rosewood. If you have never been to a big time SEC college football game, it is quite an experience. About 200,000 people drive down near the stadium to tailgate and about 80,000 go to the game. In the heart of rosewood there is a brewery in an old airplane hanger Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Alehouse, and a neat urban farm called City Roots CITY ROOTS.

The Shandon, Rosewood, Melrose Heights, Whales Garden Five points area is very unique part of the Columbia area. I often walk to the Publix (grocery store) on Rosewood, or down to Five Points or the University and several times a week walk to Devine Street for dinner, or to visit Earth Fare (another grocery store), or go shopping. I just mentioned to my partner while on a walk recently how pleasant it is to live in town, especially after five. It really feels like I live in a small town, as compared to when I lived in Northeast Columbia and Irmo. I have about a 5 min drive to work, and can enjoy all the amenities of downtown, or make a quick drive to the malls, but I hardly want to, but there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

Currently, you can probably stay under $1,100 for a two bedroom house, or a duplex or 4 plex. You can go even cheaper if you do an over-garage apartment. You won't get a 3 bed and 2 baths or a renovated place with stainless and granite, but you should be able to find something nice.

There are lots of nature trails around Columbia. One of my favorite places is the Three Rivers Greenway. Whenever I am stressed out or feel like I need to be in nature I head over there and walk the trail. Currently it is being expanded, but I really like the section from Riverfront park to the damn. The river is beautiful with the trees and rapids. I also like the Lake Murray damn... it is a bit of a drive from rosewood, but well worth it. Another amazing place is Congaree National Park https://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm It is probably about a 20-25 minute drive from Rosewood.

I don't know that I would specially call Rosewood "family friendly," but then again that means different things to different people. Many people have children and are very happy in the area, I would say that there are definitely more kids in Shandon though. Quiet is relative as well. It is not loud, and there will be very little traffic noise and such, not Manhattan, but not a small town in Iowa either.

Charleston is a great place, and I love to visit. I also like that I can be in the mountains in about 2 hours as well. Charleston, mostly on the peninsula is very dense and active. I almost moved there, but I wasn't going to be able to live where I wanted to because housing was too high and the salary was too low. I could have lived in Summerville or some place like that, but I really didn't want a 45 minute commute everyday. I am very happy with my move in-town to Columbia and probably drive down to Charleston once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area