Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 02:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I don't think it is a fear of the homeless as much as it is safeguarding your children. Most people, including family members of homeless, wouldn't want to have their kids around homeless for multiple reasons including drug use, public intoxication, arguments, foul language, erratic behavior, possible violent actions, and maybe a bad example of adulthood. Whether that's right or not is up to each individual to judge. However, when a city is trying to create a family friendly environment and they see families not showing up because of it then there lies the problem.
This is a tough issue "the war on homelessness" or "the war on the homeless". Different cities and administrations take different approaches, but it seems within the last few years there has been more of a push to move them off the streets (or from view). I have notice an uptick in homeless people in some of Columbia's intown neighborhood likely from the "push" that is occurring to move them out of the downtown areas. This is happening in other cities not just Columbia as downtown living and recreating is becoming more popular and the price of downtown real estate rises. I think at some point it will lead to heighten conflicts and potential altercations since its one thing to find a homeless person sleep in front of a business or store.. but if you encounter someone in your sleeping in your detached garage or your garden there will usually be a different reaction and potential misunderstandings that may not end well..on either side depending on the reactions . I will be the first to say.. I don't know what the answer is since housing is certainly part of the problem but as others have said.. the challenge is often coupled with other issues and the RESULT is homelessness in some cases which goes beyond the simple affordability issue like whats happening in California..

I am not sure what the city is doing about the problem but it is certainly one that needs to be addressed as humanly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 AM

189 posts, read 195,625 times
Well number one overall I think is that Columbia area needs a big water park within the metro area. The heat and the size of the population will justify it. Any businessman or company that can invest in this will make money for sure as long as the ticket admissions are priced reasonably. Its a virtual lock to be a big hit if so.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:17 AM

333 posts, read 215,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Well number one overall I think is that Columbia area needs a big water park within the metro area. The heat and the size of the population will justify it. Any businessman or company that can invest in this will make money for sure as long as the ticket admissions are priced reasonably. Its a virtual lock to be a big hit if so.
There was supposed to be one coming to the NE on Farrow Rd next to Killian Crossing. I'm not sure if that's still in the plans or not though.The only other one is on Ft. Jackson.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
There was supposed to be one coming to the NE on Farrow Rd next to Killian Crossing. I'm not sure if that's still in the plans or not though.The only other one is on Ft. Jackson.
You mean this waste of money? No, they voted to scrap it. Although I’m all for bringing it back.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:37 PM

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/high...rlotte-atlanta

With the Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta Rail coming, could Columbia ever get a rail system that could connect with that system in Greenville from Columbia and travel down to Charleston?

Old 10-29-2019, 02:50 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:

With the Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta Rail coming, could Columbia ever get a rail system that could connect with that system in Greenville from Columbia and travel down to Charleston?
While I'm a fan of high speed rail and would love to see it throughout the US, I also understand why we don't have it as well.

So I wouldn't be so confident that such a HSR from Atlanta to Charlotte is a for sure thing and "coming". I wouldn't say I'm a pessimist, more of a realist, and I'll believe it when I see them buying up ROW and constructing a dual, grade separated, rail line, until then it's all just talk and pie in the sky stuff!

Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I'm a fan of high speed rail and would love to see it throughout the US, I also understand why we don't have it as well.

So I wouldn't be so confident that such a HSR from Atlanta to Charlotte is a for sure thing and "coming". I wouldn't say I'm a pessimist, more of a realist, and I'll believe it when I see them buying up ROW and constructing a dual, grade separated, rail line, until then it's all just talk and pie in the sky stuff!
The High Speed Rail from Charlotte to Atlanta is happening.There are multiple reports on this. If you read any of them they are saying that it is going from Charlotte to Greenville and then Atlanta. The only thing they are seeking public input about are the route options which there are 3 options. A high speed rail system from Atlanta to Charlotte makes all the sense in the world. That was always inevitable.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:27 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,773 times
Quote:
The High Speed Rail from Charlotte to Atlanta is happening.There are multiple reports on this. If you read any of them they are saying that it is going from Charlotte to Greenville and then Atlanta. The only thing they are seeking public input about are the route options which there are 3 options. A high speed rail system from Atlanta to Charlotte makes all the sense in the world. That was always inevitable.
Don’t ever think non-highway infrastructure in the US is “inevitable,” especially in red states. Even typically blue states in this country struggle to get major infrastructure, particularly rail, projects done. Look at California’s HSR and the Amtrak ARC project in New York and New Jersey, which was basically shovel-ready until Chris Christie cancelled it.

If a single cent in state money is required, good luck getting it from the Republican legislatures in NC, SC, or GA. Even if it is fully federally-funded, “pro-growth” (ie, anti-public transport) groups will sue to stop it. I don’t think the area of the state that gave us Lee Bright is going to welcome European style bullet trains with open arms. Quite the opposite, really.

I’d love for this to happen, but I don’t see this actually happening for decades, if ever.

I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Oh, I've read all of those pretty reports and seen all of the news articles/segments about it and would love to see it come to fruition, but like I said, until they actually start construction, I'll believe it when I see it, until then, it's just a great plan and idea!

There's this little thing called $8 to $10 to $15 billion that they have to come up with, and that is a lot easier said than done. You might be right and it is happening, but it could also take another 20 years or more to get done. Do you know how much ligation they are going to get and how long it might be tied up in the courts and who knows what the transportation climate will be like in 20 years?

I've also followed numerous rail projects throughout the country, over the past 30+ years, both high speed and low speed, and seen many crash and burn. I'm originally from NEPA (Northeastern PA) and there use to be a train that went from Scranton to Hoboken up until the 70's, then it stopped. Then they removed a 27-mile section of track called the Lackawanna Cutoff and since the early 90's, over 25 years now, they have talked and talked about restoring the service from Scranton to Hoboken, and guess what it still hasn't happened!

And this ROW is already there, they just have to lay the track down and maybe lessen some of the curves on the Pennsylvania side. Slowly the NJ Transit was been expanding the line west, but it's anybody's guess when and if it will ever be finished and this is just relatively slow speed trains. It you have some time, they even have a wikipedia page about the project and what they want to do and why it's taken so long.

Lackawanna Cut-Off Restoration Project

I'm not sure how old or young you are Big Cat, but hopefully you'll still be around when a HSR from Atlanta to Charlotte is open!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM

1,154 posts, read 956,344 times
Quote:

The DOT has looked into possible having a state funded Amtrak that runs from Charleston to Greenville. I'm planning to have a one on one meeting with someone at DOT soon about that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area