Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 08:29 AM

172 posts, read 391,012 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We will be relocating to Columbia by June and need some help narrowing down options.

-Work will be on the North side, in the Pisgah Church Rd area.
- Would prefer a commute less than 30 min, but closer is better.
- Large family with elementary aged Chinese children, so we were thinking it would be nice to get in to one of the Mandarin immersion schools (EastPoint Academy and Meadow Glen are the ones I've identified so far). But we could amend this if there is a strong Asian presence in another area.

- Budget would be up to $500k, but would love to stay well under that.
- Would also appreciate easy commute to USC, assuming my teens will attend there within the next 5 yrs.

Originally I had two completely opposite options narrowed down- WoodCreek Farms for it's proximity to work and beautiful neighborhood setting (public schools seem OK), and the northern side of Lake Murray/Irmo/Ascot (public schools seem great) for it's nature settings and Asian market (I assume that indicates a higher Asian presence) and the ability to drive to Eastpoint Academy everyday with a 20 min commute, if we would choose to pursue that school.

But then I saw this from a recent post: I-26/I-20 is about to be torn up and expanded and that area will be a nightmare traffic wise for the next 10 years (Carolina Crossroads). Personally, I would not spend money rehabbing/renovating a $250,000 ranch anywhere around the Irmo area, unless you were buying a place on Lake Murray.

We are leaving Houston and it's traffic nightmare....I don't want to end up in another. Does this rule out the Irmo/Lake Murray area for us?

If we stick to Woodcreek Farms will there be enough of an Asian presence so my kids don't feel alone, or is there a third option that I need to consider?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:10 PM

1,124 posts, read 917,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noregrets11 View Post
Hi everyone!

We will be relocating to Columbia by June and need some help narrowing down options.

- Large family with elementary aged Chinese children, so we were thinking it would be nice to get in to one of the Mandarin immersion schools (EastPoint Academy and Meadow Glen are the ones I've identified so far). But we could amend this if there is a strong Asian presence in another area.

- Would also appreciate easy commute to USC, assuming my teens will attend there within the next 5 yrs.

Originally I had two completely opposite options narrowed down- WoodCreek Farms for it's proximity to work and beautiful neighborhood setting (public schools seem OK), and the northern side of Lake Murray/Irmo/Ascot (public schools seem great) for it's nature settings and Asian market (I assume that indicates a higher Asian presence) and the ability to drive to Eastpoint Academy everyday with a 20 min commute, if we would choose to pursue that school.

But then I saw this from a recent post: I-26/I-20 is about to be torn up and expanded and that area will be a nightmare traffic wise for the next 10 years (Carolina Crossroads). Personally, I would not spend money rehabbing/renovating a $250,000 ranch anywhere around the Irmo area, unless you were buying a place on Lake Murray.

We are leaving Houston and it's traffic nightmare....I don't want to end up in another. Does this rule out the Irmo/Lake Murray area for us?

If we stick to Woodcreek Farms will there be enough of an Asian presence so my kids don't feel alone, or is there a third option that I need to consider?

As long as your work is in Northeast, don’t count out living in the Irmo/Chapin part of town. $500,000 might put you near the lower end of homes in Ascot, but no Irmo as a whole. I’m not sure if Lex-Rich 5 has language immersion programs, but I do know they offer Chinese Mandarin (not sure if tradition/simplified/both) courses all the way up to course 4. There are lots of local Asian markets around there. There’s on across from Dutch Square Center and one next to Irmo High School. Traffic here, even with the construction, should be at least no worse than Houston. And yes construction will last 10 years or longer, but I’d say the schools and area make it worth it.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
As long as your work is in Northeast, don’t count out living in the Irmo/Chapin part of town. $500,000 might put you near the lower end of homes in Ascot, but no Irmo as a whole. I’m not sure if Lex-Rich 5 has language immersion programs, but I do know they offer Chinese Mandarin (not sure if tradition/simplified/both) courses all the way up to course 4. There are lots of local Asian markets around there. There’s on across from Dutch Square Center and one next to Irmo High School. Traffic here, even with the construction, should be at least no worse than Houston. And yes construction will last 10 years or longer, but I’d say the schools and area make it worth it.

Really appreciate your input- thank you!

Old 04-29-2020, 10:33 PM

177 posts, read 120,820 times
There are 2 areas that have a Korean population in Cola. Irmo/ Chapin ( this is due to Samsung ), and Richland Northeast. Decker Blvd has a lot of Asian market ( mainly Korean ) there, but I would not move around that area it’s pretty run down.

There are also a lot of Korean churches near Clemson Rd and Hardscrabble. For safe and nicer housing I would recommend either Woodcreek Farms or Cobble Stone in Blythewood. Wood Creek has a Columbia Police station just outside of it. Cobblestone is on a golf course and the entire community is gated and they have a security guard at the entrance. The only downside is that it is in Blythewood and you are left to the protection of the Richland Sheriffs Department. Since it’s not in the City of Columbia.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:42 PM

159 posts, read 140,063 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

If you chose Meadow Glen, there are several nice residential nearby, especially the Saluda River Club, a planned community with upscale recreational amenities that has won several local and national awards. Next to it is the highly rated River Bluff high school, on a large junior college style campus. The commute out to the Northeast from there would be mainly interstate, avoiding most of the heavier traffic heading into downtown Columbia. I’m aware of two Chinese churches in the metro area, one not that far from that Saluda neighborhood in West Columbia.
Taiwanese friends said there are no real concentration of Chinese families anywhere in this metro area, except a small number in town, neighborhoods proximate to the University. The other Chinese church is in the Rosewood neighborhood near the University.
If you chose Eastpoint, I would suggest there are several very nice intown neighborhoods close to the University that are zoned for either of two very good high schools, A.C.Flora and Dreher.
I would contact the folks at Eastpoint and Meadow Glen for their perspective. There is also a Chinese community association that is on Facebook.
Good luck. And welcome to the Midlands.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 AM

482 posts, read 416,190 times
Shouldn't your children be learning English? Am I missing something here?

Old 04-30-2020, 06:10 AM

306 posts, read 391,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Considering they are moving from Houston I’d imagine English is their first language.... Mandarin to be their second.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
Considering they are moving from Houston I’d imagine English is their first language.... Mandarin to be their second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post

Actually a bit of neither/both. We have a combo of bio and adopted kids, so we're just trying to help some of them maintain/enhance their birth language, and others to acquire a new language.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Thanks for your advice, @RiCoLex and @Docka!

Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 AM

159 posts, read 140,063 times
Quote:
Thanks for your advice, @RiCoLex and @Docka!
You’re welcome. Let us know what y’all finally decide as well as if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area