Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:29 AM

245 posts, read 201,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. the name kind of threw me when I first went there.. I believe it has more to do with "pot liquor" which it the juice produced from collard greens.. though the effects of getting high may still be the same along with the notion that they smoke their BBQ.

Pot liquor ("pot likker") is one of the most nutritious things you could possibly consume. One of the higher and better purposes of cornbread, is to soak up the pot liquor. Sheer perfection only possibly surpassed by cornbread torn up with buttermilk. Southern American cooking should be protected as part of world heritage by the United Nations, and I am not quite exaggerating when I say that.

Along those lines, and it is not possible ever to say enough about the merits of Southern cuisine, I usually get Glory turnip greens, but Walmart was out, so I had to get Margaret Holmes instead. It's the same company, different brands and labels, and even the font on part of the labels is identical.

The difference? MH TGs are milder, not as spicy, not as piquant, as Glory TGs, The pot liquor (don't anybody ever throw this part away, as noted above, it is very healthy, superfood on crack!) isn't quite as flavorful as Glory, I mean, it's okay, but given the choice, I'd get Glory every time. Different people's tastes might vary. I've been down here 25 years and I'm still trying to wrap my head around mustard barbecue. I probably should never move to Lexington County.

All I can say, is keep sending those Northerners down here to us, we'll teach 'em how to EAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 02:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Pot liquor ("pot likker") is one of the most nutritious things you could possibly consume. One of the higher and better purposes of cornbread, is to soak up the pot liquor. Sheer perfection only possibly surpassed by cornbread torn up with buttermilk. Southern American cooking should be protected as part of world heritage by the United Nations, and I am not quite exaggerating when I say that.

Along those lines, and it is not possible ever to say enough about the merits of Southern cuisine, I usually get Glory turnip greens, but Walmart was out, so I had to get Margaret Holmes instead. It's the same company, different brands and labels, and even the font on part of the labels is identical.

The difference? MH TGs are milder, not as spicy, not as piquant, as Glory TGs, The pot liquor (don't anybody ever throw this part away, as noted above, it is very healthy, superfood on crack!) isn't quite as flavorful as Glory, I mean, it's okay, but given the choice, I'd get Glory every time. Different people's tastes might vary. I've been down here 25 years and I'm still trying to wrap my head around mustard barbecue. I probably should never move to Lexington County.

All I can say, is keep sending those Northerners down here to us, we'll teach 'em how to EAT!
Mustard-based barbecue is God's manifest glory on a plate with the best sides anyone could ask for.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:34 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Please share examples of Midlands BBQ places that don't smoke their own meat.
I would like to but I rarely post anything negative about any restaurant, I’m in the industry and everyone has their own way of doing things. I’d only point something out if I thought it was a danger to employees or customers.

That said, if you don’t smell smoke in the dining room/parking lot of the business that can be a dead giveaway. That and just smell the meat with no sauce on it. Most noses can tell real smoke from the bottled variety.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Mustard-based barbecue is God's manifest glory on a plate with the best sides anyone could ask for.

I don't hate mustard barbecue, once in a while I will have some, but to my taste (and I didn't grow up with it), it just has a dry, kind of astringent taste to it. I suppose I'm looking for something either sweet (as with tomato-based) or kind of puckery (as with vinegar-based). Mustard-based is neither.

The most bizarre BBQ I've heard of, is what they serve in Alabama with a mayonnaise base --- the first time I ever heard of this, my reaction was pretty much "WTF?". Never tried it and never will. I love the great state of Alabama, but I would gag. I cannot eat mayonnaise, not on barbecue, not on anything else.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
I don't hate mustard barbecue, once in a while I will have some, but to my taste (and I didn't grow up with it), it just has a dry, kind of astringent taste to it. I suppose I'm looking for something either sweet (as with tomato-based) or kind of puckery (as with vinegar-based). Mustard-based is neither.

The most bizarre BBQ I've heard of, is what they serve in Alabama with a mayonnaise base --- the first time I ever heard of this, my reaction was pretty much "WTF?". Never tried it and never will. I love the great state of Alabama, but I would gag. I cannot eat mayonnaise, not on barbecue, not on anything else.
It’s called Alabama White Sauce and it’s everything. It’s at the Southern Belly BBQ if you’d like to just try it. They’ll let you when you order your food.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:43 AM

273 posts, read 246,201 times
Can concur! That Alabama White Sauce is so freaking good!!!

Old 03-04-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
It’s called Alabama White Sauce and it’s everything. It’s at the Southern Belly BBQ if you’d like to just try it. They’ll let you when you order your food.

Errrrr... I think I'll pass.

The very thought of mayonnaise on anything, particularly anything hot, makes me want to hurl. I can tolerate it in chicken salad that someone else has made, if I practice a bit of psychic numbing while I eat (because chicken salad is just so darn good!). But When I make chicken or tuna salad, I use sour cream as a substitute. I guess it's the thought of eating basically raw eggs on things like hamburgers and hot dogs. I know many, many people swear by Duke's, but I wouldn't be one of those people. No right or wrong to it, just personal preference.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Errrrr... I think I'll pass.

The very thought of mayonnaise on anything, particularly anything hot, makes me want to hurl. I can tolerate it in chicken salad that someone else has made, if I practice a bit of psychic numbing while I eat (because chicken salad is just so darn good!). But When I make chicken or tuna salad, I use sour cream as a substitute. I guess it's the thought of eating basically raw eggs on things like hamburgers and hot dogs. I know many, many people swear by Duke's, but I wouldn't be one of those people. No right or wrong to it, just personal preference.
On hamburgers, I prefer the double decker option with a special sauce. Pioneered by Bob's Big Boy and made even more famous by McDonald's Big Mac.

But the Big Boy special sauce varies by region. The original Bob's Big Boy used a red relish sauce and mayo, including the famous Burbank, California location still in operation. Although some other Bob's locations under Marriott changed to the 1000 Island sauce also used by Shoney's in the South and Elias Bros. in Michigan. But in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky the special sauce used by the Frisch's franchise is their famous tartar sauce. Which is actually very good and perhaps my favorite, although it may not always be considered a common topping for a burger. Other former franchises such as Manners and Azar's also used a type of white sauce similar to the Frisch's tartar sauce.

And more locally, Hardee's has returned the charbroiled Star burgers from Carl's Jr. to their menu. They include the Superstar and the Big Hardee double decker burgers. The Superstar has a red sauce and mayo similar to the original Bob's Big Boy,and the Big Hardee has the 1000 Island style sauce. The Big Hardee is very similar to their previous Big Twin, and also similar to the Big Mac but with more beef and less bread.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:46 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I love Mayo on burgers, Also like PB and Mayo sandwiches.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
On hamburgers, I prefer the double decker option with a special sauce. Pioneered by Bob's Big Boy and made even more famous by McDonald's Big Mac.

But the Big Boy special sauce varies by region. The original Bob's Big Boy used a red relish sauce and mayo, including the famous Burbank, California location still in operation. Although some other Bob's locations under Marriott changed to the 1000 Island sauce also used by Shoney's in the South and Elias Bros. in Michigan. But in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky the special sauce used by the Frisch's franchise is their famous tartar sauce. Which is actually very good and perhaps my favorite, although it may not always be considered a common topping for a burger. Other former franchises such as Manners and Azar's also used a type of white sauce similar to the Frisch's tartar sauce.

And more locally, Hardee's has returned the charbroiled Star burgers from Carl's Jr. to their menu. They include the Superstar and the Big Hardee double decker burgers. The Superstar has a red sauce and mayo similar to the original Bob's Big Boy,and the Big Hardee has the 1000 Island style sauce. The Big Hardee is very similar to their previous Big Twin, and also similar to the Big Mac but with more beef and less bread.

I can live with the McDonald's Big Mac special sauce, but I end up taking apart the burger, pitching the middle bun --- I have to keep away from excessive carbs --- and wiping off probably 75% of the sauce, amount varies depending upon how sauce-happy the preparer was.

And since you brought it up, McDonald's locations do vary in quality and attention to preparation. Some of the ones I've noted:
  • Killian Road and I-77 - consistently good. They don't charge extra for a cup of water, which I usually get along with a beverage.
  • Blythewood - consistently good, ditto.
  • Hardscrabble and Killian - fairly good, but a mixed bag. I once had to wait 30 minutes for an online order, and I finally told them I'm sorry, I have to leave, can I get comped for a food order next time? They gave me the name to give next time I'm there, said it would be okay, I went back a few days later, they didn't honor their promise. I'm pretty much done with them.
  • Clemson and I-20 - fair to good.
  • Millwood Avenue and Assembly - not the best. I had to go back for straws the other day. Who orders drinks without straws?
  • The one near Columbia Place - not bad.
  • The one on Decker Boulevard - not bad either.
  • The one on Gervais near the bridge - one of the best. A class act all the way. Consistently good.
  • West Columbia on Charleston Highway - the worst! It took several acts of Congress for me to place my order, and they still got it wrong, after going through drive-through hell and then parking. I had to go in and ask where my food was. I asked if I could just get a refund and they said no. Avoid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area