Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Hey Rockinmoz... you dont go to church and you live in Lexington? I am messing with you.. I know it is often a misconception that people are heavily religious in the south and wear judgement around ready to bestow it on those who may not share those beliefs.. They may do it but they may just be polite and talk about you behind your back...LOL .. At any rate just like everywhere else.. it varies from place to place...... Happy Friday...

You stereotype and prejudge much? We don’t all drive pick up trucks, fly the confederate flag and spend all day in church on Sunday. Even if someone did those things, you’re no better of a person then they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:13 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
You'll have no worries in Lexington, the area is welcoming of newcomers and most people mind their own business. Nobody is going to judge you based on your church going habits just try not to be anti-religion in public. One thing you will definitely run in to, especially with younger children, is a lot of church based activities that your kids will want to attend because their friends will be there.

Low taxes, low crime, responsive government, good schools (be sure to check out River Bluff High School and surrounding district)...I could go on but you have probably done your research on all that. Traffic is a relative thing. We moved here from Atlanta and I can state that the worst traffic Lexington/Columbia can throw at me is no more grueling than I-285 on a Saturday morning.

That said I would prefer Lexington over Irmo if we had to worry about a downtown commute. The state DOT is about to launch a program to upgrade the I-20/I-26 interchange and an already challenging Irmo commute is going to get worse for several years to come.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:57 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
You stereotype and prejudge much? We don’t all drive pick up trucks, fly the confederate flag and spend all day in church on Sunday. Even if someone did those things, you’re no better of a person then they are.
Relax man.. you missed the part in there where I said I was just messing with him and it is a misconception.. geez....

Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 15,523 times
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. Certainly appreciate your feedback from the local point of view... grateful for this forum!

I think we are leaning more towards Raleigh suburbs due to a number of factors, but will always be an advocate for Columbia as it is a fantastic city with so much to offer a diverse crowd. Best wishes to all.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 PM

244 posts, read 200,417 times
Lexington County is "Lutheran to the bone", this due to early settlement patterns from Germany and possibly surrounding areas. The county has a very rich and fascinating history. You will see about a dozen German-sounding surnames crop up all the time, and I do mean all the time. There is a great deal of community pride there, and it is one of the cleanest suburban areas I've ever seen. The town of Lexington has a very attractive, smallish downtown area. LexCo is not a bad place at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area