Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 08:19 PM

245 posts, read 200,765 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to the Columbia Avenue Exit 91 with the McDonald's, Waffle House, and of course, "Chapin Furniture, look for the big red chair". It seems like this would be a good place for one, and could even enhance the attractiveness of Chapin and nearby Little Mountain as a tourist destination, a nice overnight shop in a semi-rural setting. At this point, you're just starting to get some hilly country, and a cooler and higher elevation. It's a beautiful setting and some kind of hotel, such as a Holiday Inn Express or even a Days Inn or Super 8, is kind of conspicuous by its absence.

And has there ever been a hotel at this exit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 10:09 PM

421 posts, read 573,856 times
Knowing the people of Chapin, they’ll fight that from happening. I also don’t see the need. I would think anyone doing thier homework and wanting the little tourist rural area would just want to go ten more miles and go to newberry?

Old 01-16-2022, 03:30 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
That Chapin furniture store is such a joke lol My Dad has always said that Columbia metro has the worst interstate “scenery” he’s ever seen. I mostly agree with him. Anyway…

OP you raise a fair point. I’m not very familiar with Chapin but how far would a hotel be from dining and shopping? If not very far, it’d be a no brainer to put a hotel or two there. It would only help local businesses. It’s only a matter of time before Chapin starts landing hotels left and right. Lexington and Irmo were no different.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Because, apparently, no business person has decided to invest the time and money to build one. They must not see enough potential there. Businesses don’t just magically appear because it “seems” like a good place for one.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Because, apparently, no business person has decided to invest the time and money to build one. They must not see enough potential there. Businesses don’t just magically appear because it “seems” like a good place for one.
Truly insightful post. Thank you.

Another poster mentioned that locals wouldn’t have it if a hotel wanted to build around there. Or the fact that Newberry is a better alternate option. These are better microcosms of what you mentioned but thank you for the broad overview and slightly snarky response to the OP lol

Old 01-16-2022, 07:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Truly insightful post. Thank you.

Another poster mentioned that locals wouldn’t have it if a hotel wanted to build around there. Or the fact that Newberry is a better alternate option. These are better microcosms of what you mentioned but thank you for the broad overview and slightly snarky response to the OP lol
Really was not intended as snark.

It’s just amazing to me that people don’t understand how businesses arrive. I once had a person ask me “Why don’t “they” (meaning the local county government) “put” a grocery store” in a certain location.

A government can affect the zoning/taxes etc but it’s BUSINESS PEOPLE who start the ball rolling, not the government.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:

It’s just amazing to me that people don’t understand how businesses arrive. I once had a person ask me “Why don’t “they” (meaning the local county government) “put” a grocery store” in a certain location.

A government can affect the zoning/taxes etc but it’s BUSINESS PEOPLE who start the ball rolling, not the government.
Ah okay, I believe you- My apologies then.

True but some business people can overlook some things. Or make some bad investment/business decisions. Even then, I think the OP was speaking to business people in why they haven't stuck a hotel in or around that exit. It's a good inquiry- why haven't they?

But yeah, to those that ask you the "why don't "they" question about the local government, yeah they don't understand how things work. This isn't Sim City lol

Old 01-16-2022, 08:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
I'm thinking once the new interchange is complete, it will happen. "They" have been waiting for years for the DOT to get this done, for a business park farther down Columbia Ave. They're literally moving the interchange farther up 26 to make room. That being said, with the ugly sprawl that's creeping up 26, car washes, and storage buildings, I prefer the trees.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:15 PM

421 posts, read 573,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
I'm thinking once the new interchange is complete, it will happen. "They" have been waiting for years for the DOT to get this done, for a business park farther down Columbia Ave. They're literally moving the interchange farther up 26 to make room. That being said, with the ugly sprawl that's creeping up 26, car washes, and storage buildings, I prefer the trees.

I heard chick fila was waiting until the interchange was completed before they built thier location in Chapin.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:10 PM

245 posts, read 200,765 times
Quote:

I'm quite aware of that, and implicit in my suggestion was that someone with money to invest, would look at this interchange and say "hey, this would be a nice spot for a hotel", and then do it. No, local governments can't just "put things places", though they could, theoretically, give tax incentives for someone to do that. And the first hotel would have no competition... until someone built the second one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area