Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 01:07 PM

273 posts, read 246,294 times

Advertisements

So I was watching a show about the Pee Dee area and it’s poverty. Apparently, Buc’s is going to bring a lot of jobs to the area. They also pay their employees rather high, like $15/hour. They also have benefits. I think it’s really good for Florence. That area needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 05:40 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I could certainly see one fitting somewhere at the confluence of 26 and 77 to pick up on that converging traffic.
I could see it coming somewhere near there, too. and that woukd put it close to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You know the "gift store" at Cracker Barrel they force you to walk through to get to the restaurant?
I am not a huge Cracker Barrel fan, but it's OK. Especially thier breakfast. I do not recall ever buying anything from the CB store, though I debated with myself for about five minutes one time whether to get a straw hat once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok now imagine 30-40K square feet of that type stuff! Now fill the store with that, putting the drink coolers/rest rooms at the back corner of the store, fill the store with people and right in the middle have a self serve area of sandwiches that literally smell like someone lit old garbage on fire. Just about the time you realize that you want to buy something, look at the lines, 10 registers all 10 people deep while the patrons juggle all the crap they just had to have.

The person I was with made the joke: This is like Disney World for white trash!
Not a fan, I take. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
I’m from where it is based in TX and this is what it boils down to:

-clean bathrooms
-lots of pumps
-bad tasting food
-centrally located in small towns between two major cities

Nothing unique about it, but they are trying to curate an image of fun with the merchandise and billboards.

Edit: one Good thing, is they have been adding Tesla supercharging stations.

Being from TX, not a place we’d think to go to for BBQ, or any food for that matter.
The Tesla charging stations would be needed in South Carolina, I would presume

Old 06-07-2022, 08:15 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I could see it coming somewhere near there, too. and that woukd put it close to me

I am not a huge Cracker Barrel fan, but it's OK. Especially thier breakfast. I do not recall ever buying anything from the CB store, though I debated with myself for about five minutes one time whether to get a straw hat once.

Not a fan, I take. LOL

The Tesla charging stations would be needed in South Carolina, I would presume
I own one, they’re everywhere on 95. The other interstates? Yes. On 95 they’re on the exits for: Florence, Manning, Santee, St George, Walterboro, Yamassee, and Hardeeville.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:57 AM

46 posts, read 46,773 times
Believe me, when Buccee's is installing supercharging stations, it knows EV's are here to stay. Buccee's is a very "Southern" type of establishment in terms of its customer base, put it like that. Not a lot of true city slickers types, and definitely not the woke folks.

Hey, nothing wrong with that for our southern folks. You can get your F150 in electric now and it can also serve as a backup generator for you home. You have to want to spend though, but it will make up for it over time with the way energy prices are. And why support foreign oil of fascist/enemy regimes?

Despite "southern types" ICEn'g Tesla spots in parking lots, rolling coal, and the vitriol by some in Texas (oil state afterall), and presumably by other "southern types," an EV is actually one of the most patriotic vehicles to own.

Now, with the gigafactory in Austin, you'll get MADE IN TEXAS vehicles. What beats that?

Old 08-18-2022, 06:57 PM

1,864 posts, read 842,234 times
there great, but after about the third trip, your done with them

Old 08-19-2022, 06:25 AM

247 posts, read 433,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
there great, but after about the third trip, your done with them
AGREE! I live in Florence and while it seemed awesome and great at first (regarding food and all), it is now just "meh..."

Old 08-19-2022, 04:25 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have been to a Buccee's more then once and when traveling I would stop at one versus other places but to me Buccee's is not a destination sort of place unless real close and you have never been to one.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:41 PM

11,465 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
A Buc-cee's just opened in Florence to snag in some of that beach traffic. One is proposed for Anderson near I-85. Might we get one in Columbia? We have three interstates and we're the capitol of the state. I've heard so many about them and I think we are about to make a trip to Florence to see what the hype is about.

I just went to the Buc-ees in Crossville TN about an hour west of me, to check out the hype. I wasn't too impressed except by the massive size of the thing inside and the huge number of gas pumps. I guess their gas is the cheapest around as well.

It is just a huge truck stop on steriods that doesn't allow 18-wheel trucks on their property. It just seemed to be more of everything but not anything special I needed.

THEN I stumbled across the fresh beef jerky counter. They must have had 20 flavors. The Ghost Pepper almost made me cry. I bought 2 pounds of jerky and then I spent the next 1/2 hour just crusing the very crowded store.

It is more than hype. It is a really, really great store for what it is. Don't expect rainbows or anything, but yeah - it is a big step up, doing retail "right".

FWIW, I have heard said they always have the cleanest bathrooms in whatever state they are in. I can't wait till they build one closer in Sevierville for my future beef jerky runs, although the may sell it on line for all I know. Something about buying it from behind a 40-foot long glass counter.

One thing - this is in a small town. They could have chosen Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga. They seem to be like Harley Davidson and set up off the beaten track rather than in a big city. I think the point is, it gives you a reason to stop for gas and snacks in between cities. In the heart of a city, there would be a lot better dining options.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:46 PM

What are Beaver Nuggets and are they any good? What are they made of and what do they taste like? More important, what is the texture - popcorn? Cracers? Rice? They sure make a big deal about their Beaver Nuts and have a lot of them.

lol they have a lot of everything lol.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
So I was watching a show about the Pee Dee area and it’s poverty. Apparently, Buc’s is going to bring a lot of jobs to the area. They also pay their employees rather high, like $15/hour. They also have benefits. I think it’s really good for Florence. That area needs it.
It kind of sounds like the Chic-Fil-a of convenience stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area