Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 08:48 AM

6,433 posts, read 1,497,958 times

Advertisements

Man, I'm an Alumni of USC Columbia, and still follow and watch Men's Basketball, Men's Football, and Woman's Basketball to a degree. It's frustrating to see our men's team lose to weak teams even at home on our own floorr (last night's lost to Mississippi at home). Is there any hope for our team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 12:05 PM

13,150 posts, read 19,094,212 times
Not this season. Probably not for a few seasons. Right now I just put all my Gamecocks sports eggs in Ray Tanner’s basket.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:23 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,175,650 times
Total program rebuild this year. This year is going to be bad. Hopefully next year we’ll see some improvement and move to mediocre. By year three, that’s when we need to start expecting some real progress.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:49 PM

764 posts, read 586,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Not this season. Probably not for a few seasons. Right now I just put all my Gamecocks sports eggs in Ray Tanner’s basket.
I'm not clear on how he avoids criticism about poor performance. Perhaps he has allies on the BoT that shield him year after year?

Old 01-21-2023, 06:38 AM

13,150 posts, read 19,094,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I'm not clear on how he avoids criticism about poor performance. Perhaps he has allies on the BoT that shield him year after year?
Who? Tanner? He hired Staley. Beamer is his current work in progress. Paris is too early to call, much too early, shouldn’t even be in that conversation now. Soccer does well. Track. USC beats out Clemson on one of the main “cups” that measure sports success across the spectrum nationally. Baseball? We’ll see how this season goes.

Old 01-21-2023, 06:42 AM

939 posts, read 1,669,412 times
He has received constant criticism about hires and fires since Musky or before. But he is the only coach to lead Carolina to multiple mens' national championships. He won't be AD too much longer imo. I think BOT is patiently awaiting his retirement.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:28 PM

764 posts, read 586,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Who? Tanner? He hired Staley. Beamer is his current work in progress. Paris is too early to call, much too early, shouldn’t even be in that conversation now. Soccer does well. Track. USC beats out Clemson on one of the main “cups” that measure sports success across the spectrum nationally. Baseball? We’ll see how this season goes.
Eric Hyman hired Staley and Martin, Tanner hired Muschamp then Beamer, Holbrook then Kingston, and Paris. Tanner inherited a rising program: 2012 was the middle of Spurrier's peak, the third year of Staley's rise (18 wins in 2010, 25 in 2011, 25 in 2012), and a new Frank Martin. Soccer and track were consistent, though track was well past its peak in the early 2000s.

There have been some important moments during his tenure- Final Four, women's championships, capital improvements- but he wasn't the architect of any of that. The Athletic Village, football practice and operation facilities, Farmer's Market, and more were all in a plan published by Hyman well before he left for Texas A&M. A surge in SEC funding flooded the department with cash, which helped enable every single team and enabled the construction.

Tanner seems to relate well with the coaches (no surprise), but he hasn't been an abject success and it's abundantly clear that the BoT ignored their hiring criteria when selecting him for the role. I can't wait for his successor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area