Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 07:46 AM

518 posts, read 436,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're starting to sound like folks in Georgia last year that complained after landing a big EV development. It had gotten so bad that the state had to step in and take over.
I don't think it is unreasonable to worry. Our traffic is already really bad now prior to this factory being built. We have been waiting for improvements to our roads around Blythewood for a while now.

Sure great there will be new mid level manufacturing jobs being brought to the area. A promise of 4,000 new jobs. Nothing is guaranteed except there are huge amounts of taxes being spent here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 08:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I don't think it is unreasonable to worry. Our traffic is already really bad now prior to this factory being built. We have been waiting for improvements to our roads around Blythewood for a while now.
And now you're getting them:

"The $1.291 billion state incentive package includes building a railway bridge over Interstate 77 to the Blythewood industrial park site, building a new I-77 interchange to serve the eventual factory, additional road improvements, electrical work, water and sewer infrastructure, and stabilizing the soil on the site, state officials said Monday, three days after the landmark project was announced."

https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...272794560.html

Quote:
Sure great there will be new mid level manufacturing jobs being brought to the area. A promise of 4,000 new jobs. Nothing is guaranteed except there are huge amounts of taxes being spent here.
Yes, tax money being spent up front on traffic improvements and road construction which you've admitted are needed. Right up the road in Rock Hill, although the Panthers HQ complex fell through, that's not stopping the road/traffic construction and improvements which continue.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:12 AM

306 posts, read 393,499 times
Quote:

Also, I’ll have to find the specific article, but there is a clause that VW will have to repay $800+ million if they do not meet their end of the deal.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:24 PM

518 posts, read 436,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
Also, I’ll have to find the specific article, but there is a clause that VW will have to repay $800+ million if they do not meet their end of the deal.
Better than a lot of deals I have read where the companies don't have to pay anything if they bail on the plan.

I am hopeful that our home values will go up and we will get better retail/food options in the area.

I imagine we could also get lots of Car Chargers in Blythewood.

I personally would love an EV like the Scout seems to be. Hopefully it isn't Hummer level pricing.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:14 PM

306 posts, read 393,499 times
Quote:
Better than a lot of deals I have read where the companies don't have to pay anything if they bail on the plan.

I am hopeful that our home values will go up and we will get better retail/food options in the area.

I imagine we could also get lots of Car Chargers in Blythewood.

I personally would love an EV like the Scout seems to be. Hopefully it isn't Hummer level pricing.
Definitely ideal for this type of incentive package and as noted earlier it seems there will be some improvement to infrastructure that will benefits residents as well.

I’m thinking they will definitely want to put more EV chargers in the area. I’m hoping they’re a good corporate citizen in general and reinvest in the community.

From the state newspaper article:
Volkswagen has promised to pay back up to $790 million to the state if it doesn’t meet or maintain certain job and investment commitments, the commerce department said.

Lightsey conceded the amount he requested is “a lot of money.”

“We think the commitment of the largest automobile manufacturer in the world and the seventh-largest company in the world to making this project a success is a commitment that we can take to the bank for our state,” Lightsey said.

https://www.aol.com/sc-plans-pay-1-3b-223652619.html

Old 03-15-2023, 07:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Practically all incentives packages these days have clawback provisions in place that roll incentives back if job projections aren't realized. States are also front-loading incentives less these days so that there will be less to recoup if the deal falls through or the anticipated number of jobs fall short. For this deal, it looks Ike it's just the infrastructure-related incentives that are front-loaded which is reasonable.

I linked to the article in The State that gave details about the incentives package in my previous post.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:04 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
https://www.postandcourier.com/colum...0ZfizTOQe-d5Hk

Gonna go ahead and put out there that the “planned second VW product” is almost without a doubt Audi. But we will see, only time will tell.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
The eventual economic impact will be significant for SC in general, and over into NC, when supply chains are put in place. The region in general is now an automotive hub, rivaling the KY, OH, IN, etc., auto hub, which serves not only automakers based overseas, but U.S.-based automakers.

The infrastructure investment alone in Richland county alone is a huge win.

Additional impacts for the economy, to include logistics/transport, will spread far from the plant in Blythewood

Far as wages are concerned, I can guarantee there was pushback from certain powers-that-be and some companies there in Columbia. If anything, it will help stabilize and grow manufacturing wages around there. I remember how bad things were for manufacturing folks there 15 years ago, the transformation within manufacturing in Richland County has been borderline remarkable. In an area where government, contractor, insurance, and to some degree banking jobs rule the roost, I'm glad to see yet another metro SC economy diversify and grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area