Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 06:08 PM

1,864 posts, read 3,414,821 times

Advertisements

Great news for the Midlands and SC in general. $2B+ facility VW will bring to Blythewood to produce a 21st C. Scout.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2023/03/...in-blythewood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 05:06 AM

735 posts, read 552,274 times
I've seen a lot of people balk at the $1.2B in incentives for a $2B investment, but Charleston and Greenville have both gotten lots of this treatment (Clemson ICAR, inland port, BMW, Volvo, etc.). Auto also has a clear multiplier effect as vendors co-locate for efficiency. SC might help with some of them, but would largely get the benefit of co-location over time without having to pay for it.

Scout is definitely riskier than some other EV companies, but the direction of travel toward EVs is clear and trucks/SUVs are still a big category to shift.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:43 AM

515 posts, read 426,443 times
It does help this is Volkswagon related.
Wonder how much the jobs will pay. I worry that like a lot of industrial jobs in SC, they moved here for the Low Wages and no Unions.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:08 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,574,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
It does help this is Volkswagon related.
Wonder how much the jobs will pay. I worry that like a lot of industrial jobs in SC, they moved here for the Low Wages and no Unions.
I agree on low wages and no union but welcome.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:23 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,929,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree on low wages and no union but welcome.
saw a P&C article earlier claiming 60k-100k depending on hourly vs salaried.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
saw a P&C article earlier claiming 60k-100k depending on hourly vs salaried.
I would be extremely surprised. How much are the other auto factories in the SE paying? Seems high for this area. Would be awesome, I just don't see it really happening for the 4k on the floor to really be getting 60k+.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:53 PM

14,200 posts, read 14,574,865 times
Quote:
I would be extremely surprised. How much are the other auto factories in the SE paying? Seems high for this area. Would be awesome, I just don't see it really happening for the 4k on the floor to really be getting 60k+.
I agree. Last I heard "on the floor" personnel at Boeing were in the $20 per hour range ($42K per year). Pick up 4-5 hours overtime (1.5 times) per week and now you are close to $50K per year. Average SC annual income is about $49K.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:43 AM

I finally saw the some of the site maps in the little free newspapers. That place is right in Blythewood across I77 from Blythewood High School. The traffic right now sucks in the morning and afternoons. What in the world will they do when they add an additional 4,000 people on site (if they ever really hit that number)?

The feeder roads to Highway 21 (Wilson Blvd) can be backed up for 20+ minutes each school morning. It isn't as bad during the summer. It will only get worse with that huge site.

Construction traffic?

At any point will the area get any benefits from the factory? Don't the tax breaks kill any benefits to the community? Taxes have to be raised somewhere to pay for the new exit between 24 and 27 on 77. New RailRoad crossing at same place too right?

One of the feeder roads HOBART RD was closed because someone ran into a train. We have Rimer Pond and Langford for our big feeder roads now. What will happen with them? They both cross RR tracks and have huge back ups in the morning. Blythewood Rd in middle of Blythewood locks down with all the parents dropping off and picking up kids at the Elementary School.

This will really suck for the locals for a long while.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:22 AM

330 posts, read 209,624 times
Quote:
I finally saw the some of the site maps in the little free newspapers. That place is right in Blythewood across I77 from Blythewood High School. The traffic right now sucks in the morning and afternoons. What in the world will they do when they add an additional 4,000 people on site (if they ever really hit that number)?

The feeder roads to Highway 21 (Wilson Blvd) can be backed up for 20+ minutes each school morning. It isn't as bad during the summer. It will only get worse with that huge site.

Construction traffic?

At any point will the area get any benefits from the factory? Don't the tax breaks kill any benefits to the community? Taxes have to be raised somewhere to pay for the new exit between 24 and 27 on 77. New RailRoad crossing at same place too right?

One of the feeder roads HOBART RD was closed because someone ran into a train. We have Rimer Pond and Langford for our big feeder roads now. What will happen with them? They both cross RR tracks and have huge back ups in the morning. Blythewood Rd in middle of Blythewood locks down with all the parents dropping off and picking up kids at the Elementary School.

They said that the new exit will service most of the employees coming in and out of the new site. Also, the infrastructure of Blythewood has been a topic of discussion for years probably because they saw that land being developed eventually. Of the $1.3 Billion the state has awarded the company, $650 million will be used for the new interchange onI-77, a railroad bridge over I-77, water and waste water infrastructure, mass grading and wetland mitigation, and area road improvements to mitigate traffic problems. I would assume that the road improvements would go to widening Wilson Blvd to 4 lanes the whole way from I-77 to Blythewood Rd and improving Blythewood Rd.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:17 AM

37,798 posts, read 41,550,502 times
Quote:

Construction traffic?

You're starting to sound like folks in Georgia last year that complained after landing a big EV development. It had gotten so bad that the state had to step in and take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area