Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to ask for an idea on the different species one can target on this lake. I've seen tourneys on TV for bass ( my personal fave ); but what else exists for game fish? Up here one can get anything from panfish to bass to walleye to pike.... plus toss in cats & muskie for a heck of a battle; plus the rough fish like carp and gar to round out the variety.
Speaking of carp, are they as common down there as they are up here? If so, any bowfishing opportunities?
Sorry for the all the q's; just making some more notes on the overall area.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:46 PM

316 posts, read 975,835 times
I've been fishing at Lake Murray for Bass, Bream, Crappie, and Catfish. So, there is a variety of fish there.

Carp are found here also. I'm not sure about any of the laws here on Bowfishing, but I have never seen anyone do so here.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:45 PM

good to know cats are in there as well. Not that I "target" them per say; but nothing like dropping a 'gulp' worm off the bottom and a cat in the 26+" range hammers it instead of a bass. Good fun.
As for bowfishing; I know many of the southern states have it, with carp just one of the species. If it's allowed, it can be a lot of fun out there...

thx for the feedback

Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM

658 posts, read 1,893,890 times
I know you can bowfish gar. But, if you are in the southern states and want to catch a freshwater fish that will fight even on land it is time to fish for mudfish or bowfin - as they are known. Those prehistoric looking fish are a lot of fun to catch, and will chase you on land snapping their jaws...crazy fun...ugly as sin too

Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 PM

we have bowfin ( dogfish ) also; a rough fish up here that can be taken with a bow or line. They are a hardy fish; and I agree they can be a tough one as well. We have had them lunge after our hands after they have been 'taken'; all of this in a boat and not the water.
Good to know on the gar, best one i've taken with the bow was about 46" ( longnose gar ) but our lakes have them in 50-60" range. Any alligator gar in Murray, or are those closer to the Mississippi and further south?
thx

Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM

658 posts, read 1,893,890 times
I believe there are alligator gator gar in the santee lakes. I have seen HUGE gar in those lakes..scary big. Last I heard the world record mudfish was caught in Florence, SC - 27lbs(I am not sure if that is correct from Forest Lake). I have caught a few mud over 10lbs..way back in the day.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM

i dont know if night-bowfishing is approved, but if it is--that can be a real treat if you can get out on a boat rigged for it. And even for those who line fish only; the things you see at night trolling around with the lights penetrating the waters.... priceless.
I've seen monster muskies; huge northern swimming next to the boat, etc; that can make one appreciate everything below the surface ( you can only use a bow here for "rough fish", not game fish ). Just neat to watch.
As for the alligator gar; i think the ones most sought after get in the 7-8' range and up to 200 #'s for a real winner. Kind of a spooky looking fish...

Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
^ Heck, even the smaller gar are very spooky looking.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:23 PM

^^ up here the small gar can almost look like a northern if they flash by quickly so aren't too bad when you get used to them. But when you see anything 4' or larger swimming in freshwater, and it has serious teeth, makes one re-think taking a dip off the boat

Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
I think you can bowfish for some species but I have no idea what the permit and regulation requirements are. Here is the Dep. of Nat. Resouces link: South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

Fishing Lake Murray: Largemouth Bass, Stripers, Bluegill, Redbreast, shellcracker, mollies, perch, catfish (I think we have bullhead, white, and blue), Crappie (white and black), gar (alligator long nose, short nose), carp (don't think you can keep them), and some other smaller fishes of less interest. Can you tell I was a Aquaculture, Fisheries, and Wildlife Biology major at Clemson and spent 5 years in environmental education and 1 at DNR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area