U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM

94 posts, read 356,910 times

Advertisements

How good is the passenger rail service in SC ?
More specifically, from major cities to other areas (ie the coast/mountians, other states., ?
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,998,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
How good is the passenger rail service in SC ?
More specifically, from major cities to other areas (ie the coast/mountians, other states., ?
Thanks
There are 3 north/south trains (Amtrak) in South Carolina; From Greenville and Spartanburg you may travel to Charlotte and points north into the northeast and Atlanta and points south. From Columbia you may travel to Raleigh and into the major cities of the northeast and south through the major cities to Miami. From Charleston and Florence you may also travel north to the major cities of the northeast and south to the major cities of Florida, ending in Miami. There is not currently any passenger rail service between South Carolina's major cities and it is probably a good distance off.

If you just get an itch to ride a train, the South Carolina Railroad Museum is located in Winnsboro, which is in Columbia's MSA about 25 miles north of downtown Columbia. They have rides from time-to-time and the schedules are listed on their website.

http://www.scrm.org/main.asp (broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 11:46 PM

94 posts, read 356,910 times
Very helpful! Thank You!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 119,849 times
Default Airlines that serve Columbia

Hi everyone,

Wow! This post is so perfectly timed!! I got home from work and decided that I'd look into flights to Columbia so that I can check the area out personally... is anything more dangerous to a steady job when you feel that way on the commute home on a Monday evening?!?

So, I'm having a hard time finding any inexpensive airlines that fly directly to Columbia from NY. I'm searching from ISP (Long Island) to CAE.

Is CAE the only airport around?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsyish View Post
Hi everyone,

Wow! This post is so perfectly timed!! I got home from work and decided that I'd look into flights to Columbia so that I can check the area out personally... is anything more dangerous to a steady job when you feel that way on the commute home on a Monday evening?!?

So, I'm having a hard time finding any inexpensive airlines that fly directly to Columbia from NY. I'm searching from ISP (Long Island) to CAE.

Is CAE the only airport around?

Thanks!!!
Check flying out of LaGuardia, the fares to Columbia are much cheaper. Charlotte would be the next closest airport to Columbia, it's about an hour and a half away and sometimes you can find cheaper fares there.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Location: Ne columbia (looking to move to the Vista area????)
13 posts, read 29,467 times
I travel for a living and most flights out of Columbia fly via Charlotte or Atlanta. Me personally, would always recommend Charlotte unless you can get a cheap direct fight into Columbia. I always fly out Charlotte. Much cheaper and you can (almost always) get a direct flight.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymy96 View Post
I travel for a living and most flights out of Columbia fly via Charlotte or Atlanta. Me personally, would always recommend Charlotte unless you can get a cheap direct fight into Columbia. I always fly out Charlotte. Much cheaper and you can (almost always) get a direct flight.
New York is a little different animal, however, as you can get nonstop flights, especially to LaGuardia, from Columbia. I fly into LaGuardia fairly regularly and the fares compare favorably with Charlotte. From Islip, though, the options are more limited.

Continental has 2 non-stops from Columbia to Newark for $244 round trip right now and there are a number of other options under $300 r/t from LaGuardia. The cheapest r/t fare I found out of Charlotte is $252 to JFK or LaGuardia, so the price differences are miniscule. The cheapest I found from MacArthur was $302 r/t from Columbia, but it wasn't non stop. The cheapest fare from Charlotte to MacArthur was only $14 less and was also not non-stop. I think many times people assume the fares out of Charlotte are a big difference, but they're not, especially from Columbia to DC or New York.

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-25-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area