Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

I realize that it is probably apples to oranges, but if you had to compare Columbia to Florence, what would be the similarities, pros, cons, etc? We are looking into a possible move from Alabama to Columbia, but my wife really wants to be closer to Myrtle Beach, so now we are researching Florence. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:17 PM

163 posts, read 664,561 times
Columbia is much bigger than Florence. In Columbia you would have more housing options, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. The job market is bigger, too. As far as cons, depending on where you work and live, you might face a longer commute.

I think one similarity is that both areas have relatively low costs of living and affordable home values. Another is that both have colleges nearby, although Columbia has more and the biggest (USC). Florence is not a bad town; I actually prefer those cities like Florence that are (by most people's estimation) small but yet big enough to have most of the amenities you need. A lot depends on your personal lifestyle. What qualities are you looking for?

The biggest difference is going to be the number of options Columbia offers. There will be more types of communities to choose from in Columbia. But then again, if Florence has what you need, might as well avoid the traffic and congestion and be a little closer to the beach.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:52 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times
Being in Columbia you are closer to Charleston (more or less) and you have Charlotte and G'ville and Asheville much closer...if you happen to end up in Florence with children make sure you are in the West Florence school district..

Old 07-01-2008, 03:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoGuy View Post
Columbia is much bigger than Florence. In Columbia you would have more housing options, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. The job market is bigger, too. As far as cons, depending on where you work and live, you might face a longer commute.

I think one similarity is that both areas have relatively low costs of living and affordable home values. Another is that both have colleges nearby, although Columbia has more and the biggest (USC). Florence is not a bad town; I actually prefer those cities like Florence that are (by most people's estimation) small but yet big enough to have most of the amenities you need. A lot depends on your personal lifestyle. What qualities are you looking for?

The biggest difference is going to be the number of options Columbia offers. There will be more types of communities to choose from in Columbia. But then again, if Florence has what you need, might as well avoid the traffic and congestion and be a little closer to the beach.
Thanks. You asked what qualities I was looking for--I am a social worker, so I would need job options, and I want a relatively safe place for my family. We aren't clubbers or anything. We just enjoy moves, restaurants, zoos, aquariums, and the occasional concert. Parks and recreational activities are pretty inportant as well.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM

163 posts, read 664,561 times
You will probably find more social worker jobs in the Columbia metro area. There are plenty of safe places around both Columbia and Florence. Columbia has Riverbanks Zoo, which is a good one. Columbia will have more movie, restaurant, and concert options, though Florence has its share, too. Columbia is closer to the SC Aquarium in Charleston; Florence is closer to Ripley's Aquarium in MB. There are plenty of outdoor opportunities throughout SC.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
As I just noted in another thread, Florence is kind of like an in-the-middle between cities like Sumter and Columbia. There's definitely a whole lot more to do in Florence than in Sumter, but not as much as you'd find in Columbia. When we lived on the opposite side of Sumter we actually went to Florence more because we could keep ourselves entertained there enough to stay content. Now that we're on this side, it's closer to hit Columbia.

If you're into outdoorsy stuff (biking, hiking, kayaking, etc) then there is a great(!) shop in Florence. They've also got an indoor football team, a very nice circle track complex for Saturday night races, Darlington Speedway, a decent mall, and more

Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM

272 posts, read 730,298 times
Don't forget the railroad museum!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM

124 posts, read 274,776 times
Default Florence high schools???

My wife is getting S.C. teaching certification. We've been to and talked with principals in Sumter but might consider Florence as well. Any info as to the high schools in Florence, quality wise and trouble wise??? She teaches upper level Chemistry, Biology and Physics so it's no problem getting a job, it's just that we're looking for nice areas with good schools. Having taught in N.Y. and 3 Florida counties it's fair to say good schools are a priority. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area