Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

Thinking about entertaining a job in Orangeburg but would most likely want to live in Columbia area. I have grade school kids so need to identify an area good for the family, good for the kids and not too brutal a commute. Any suggestions on areas or even how the commute on 26 is south of Columbia.

Any other suggestions on Orangeburg are also welcome!

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Because there are many more people who would make the reverse commute (Orangeburg to Columbia), you shouldn't have a bad commute. Depending on where exactly you chose to live in Columbia, I'd give the commute 30-45 minutes.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:33 PM

316 posts, read 975,673 times
Check out West Columbia or even some of Lexington that would put you close to 26 so your commute will not be so bad.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Southeast Columbia where its zoned for Dreher H.S. in the right spot would give you quick access to I-77 to I-26 to Orangeburg. I am very familiar with Orangeburg. I was just there last Sunday. During a part of my growing up years in the southern Midlands, Orangeburg was my family's next best thing to Columbia for shopping. There are pretty homes there in certain areas, and actually a restaurant there (Four Moons or something like that) has been named in some circles as SC's best restaurant. The downtown is newly streetscaped and has beautiful fountains in the both the town square and at Edisto Memorial Gardens. The waiters and waitresses at restaurants there seem very nice and mannerly. All in all it's a nice town that has some struggles because of a large percentage of lower income residents and a high unemployment rate (around 14%). Because my mother grew up in southern Orangeburg County in the country 23 miles from Orangeburg, it has a special place in my heart. It's a pleasant place to be in general, but if the amenities of a large city are important to you, you'll be glad you only work there and don't live there.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
As other have said, stick to W. Columbia, Cayce or SE Columbia and you should have a 30-40 minute drive depending on how far of I-26 your job in Orangeburg is. W. Columbia & Cayce I believe pretty much are all Brookland-Cayce schools (Lexington 2?) and as Columbiadata said, SE Cola would put you either in Dreher or AC Flora HS feeder schools (the 2 best high schools - at least by reputation - in Richland 1).

Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,145 times
I'd think real hard about commuting to Orangeburg from Columbia every day. While 45 minutes each way may not seen like a lot it might get old pretty quick. Especially if you get stuck in one of the traffic jams that results from a wreck. I-26 gets a lot of truck traffic to and from the coast and is a pretty heavily traveled highway 24/7.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Good point about the wrecks, but lots of people commute that far to work every day.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 51,244 times
the commute is not bad actually but can be boring 45 min of your life everyday.
If you live near cayce area/ airport area, you will have easy access to columbia city life and also a short commute to orangeburg via local hwy avoiding I-26. I think that is much more pleasant and a lot of people do that.

In either case, lower richland area, cayce, pineridge etc will be best place for you to live. closer to I-77/I-26 should be your criteria.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 17,958 times
Default Satellite radio

Satellite radio makes my commute bearable. I live out in Pelion and work in Sumter. A little over 1 hour 1 way for my commute and I've been doing it for 7+ years.

I would suggest Pelion to Orangeburg commute. 30 miles give or take... Pelion is in Lexington School District 1 and the schools are pretty good (if you've got kids). Pelion High School is fed by Pelion Middle School which is fed by Pelion Elementary School and Fort's Pond elementary School.

It's a nice and rural area, I-77 is just down Fish Hatchery Road or hiway 302, Orangeburg's down hiway 178 one way and I-20 is down the other end.

It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to Columbia from Pelion but Lexington is about 15-20 minutes down hiway 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area