U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,790 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about the Celia Saxon neighborhood? I found a home in there that seems to be really cheap for being in town, new, and relatively large, so I'm wondering why? I have read that it is a redevelopment of a "not so nice" part of town....but do you all see this area continuing to improve? Any information on build quality? Are you likely to see college students/young professionals/adults?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,154,343 times
Google it and see. it is a mixed use, mixed income development. Not my cup of tea, and not a great surrounding area.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:58 PM

6,724 posts, read 10,215,824 times
I see the Celia Saxon (which is in Waverly) being more of a workforce housing type of development that is designed to attract working families that are seeking to live in the City.It consists mainly of families/single individuals and I believe in some units.. seniors. So, I do not think its going to become say a Shandon or and Elmwood Park..it will be what is designed to be..... new affordable workforce housing intown.

That area use to be pretty rough back in the 80s and early 90s..especially on Read Street(then known as Bleed St) I remember driving through the area after the movie "Colors" came out going to and from Bolden (Bold Man) football stadium. The area was unfortunately heralded by some as Colas version of south central and did have its fair share of crime.

It has improved considerably in part because of law enforcement and various infill housing developments. I imagine that Allen-Benedict Court will eventually come down and make way for more housing or the expansion of Benedict College. I do think they will maintain/increase in value especially if the old State Hospital is redeveloped. The Drew Wellness Center sees plenty of activity and is a nice amenity that everyone in columbia pays for.. but right in Saxon's back yard. The Clyburn Driving Range is next door, and downtown is close. There are some areas to the north and northeast of Saxon that are still in need of improvement...some infill is occuring in section up near two notch and the Bolden stadium.

I do not know who is the builder.. though the style of home is pretty common in the NE Cola.. so I certain that it is one of the big local guys that still building up there.. so you can probably check their track record on quality.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:24 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,787,036 times
This area used to be one of the most dangerous in the Columbia area, but it has improved considerably. I always recommend that someone peruse an area late on a Saturday evening to see their comfort level. There is still a good bit of public housing in the area, but not nearly as much as there used to be.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,533 times
I was born at 209 marion st in columbia south carolina in the year 1934.Later I moved to 406 marion st. which was just south of Wheat st.At that time all of the streets were unpaved.In August of 1940 I was enrolled in a school called Sasxon.Can anyone give me any information as to what happend to Saxon and Booker T Washington schools?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,787,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxexjamaica View Post
I was born at 209 marion st in columbia south carolina in the year 1934.Later I moved to 406 marion st. which was just south of Wheat st.At that time all of the streets were unpaved.In August of 1940 I was enrolled in a school called Sasxon.Can anyone give me any information as to what happend to Saxon and Booker T Washington schools?
I'm not familiar with Saxon, but Booker T Washington closed in the late 60's, I think and most, if not all, has been torn down. There are USC dorms where the high school used to be.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxexjamaica View Post
I grew up on College St, below Assembly (Ward 1), also went to Saxon Elementary (1961-67), Benson JR High (67-68) and BTW (68-70). I was then bused to A C Flora, due to integration. USC bought out all the land that encompassed our neighborhood, tore down everything below Assembly St from Pennelton to Blossom. Saxon closed in 1958 and was demolished in 1974. As for BTW, it was closed in 1974 and over time, all but the auditorium was torn down and redeveloped to expand the USC campus. Benson has been allowed to deteriorate to such a state (now owned by USC) that I wouldn't be surprised if it's raised soon. Breaks the heart.....I recently started a page on fb "I Grew Up In Ward, Went to Saxon, Benson & Booker T Washington"....please check us out and join if you like. It's a place for sharing our stories, memories & pics of the old neighborhood, if you have them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by grewupnward1; 07-25-2012 at 02:02 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,416 times
Thumbs up Inviting all old Ward One residents Saxon, Benson & BTW alums...

I grew up on College St, below Assembly (Ward 1), also went to Saxon Elementary (1961-67), Benson JR High (67-68) and BTW (68-70). I was then bused to A C Flora, due to integration. USC bought out all the land that encompassed our neighborhood, tore down everything below Assembly St from Pennelton to Blossom. Saxon closed in 1958 and was demolished in 1974. As for BTW, it was closed in 1974 and over time, all but the auditorium was torn down and redeveloped to expand the USC campus. Benson has been allowed to deteriorate to such a state (now owned by USC) that I wouldn't be surprised if it's raised soon. Breaks the heart.....I recently started a page on fb "I Grew Up In Ward, Went to Saxon, Benson & Booker T Washington"....please check us out and join if you like. It's a place for sharing our stories, memories & pics of the old neighborhood, if you have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area