Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,266,425 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many different areas and my travels have taken me to even more. One thing I always sought out was local BBQ and have come to appreciate the differences in styles and sauces. I lived in Columbus GA many years ago and thought I was in BBQ heaven because of the selection available in that area but I have to admit Columbia has a good showing. What is your favorite BBQ place and what do you recommend from their menu?

My favorites:

Palmetto Pig--Small buffet set up but every item there is super. Chopped pork and a hash that will remind you somewhat of Brunswick shew. Make sure you try the slaw and potato salad, it's some of the best in the midlands.

Hudson's--Best BBQ chicken in town. Their baked beans and mac and cheese are top quality also. In the winter they have Brunswick Stew that is the best I have had outside of GA.

Hite's--good no frills carry out only BBQ. Great sides and the runner up in the BBQ chicken department.

Tell me about a place I haven't tried yet and why I should go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,620 times
Go to Little Pigs BBQ on Alpine Rd. They also opened one in the Chapin area, but not sure where. The best BBQ in South Carolina is Dukes BBQ in Ridgeville just before Summerville.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,389,038 times
Big T's in the old Walmart plaza on Garner's Ferry Road.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlockwood View Post
Go to Little Pigs BBQ on Alpine Rd. They also opened one in the Chapin area, but not sure where. The best BBQ in South Carolina is Dukes BBQ in Ridgeville just before Summerville.
Thanks for the tip. We are going there for lunch today and I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Well we finally got around to Little Pigs and it was fantastic. Might want to mention they are not open for lunch all week but just for Thursday - Sunday.

Any more suggestions?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,835 times
Have you had Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg-Leesivlle??...Very good...also, I agree with the person who posted about Duke's BBQ in Ridgeville...very good also.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 30,610 times
It'll be interesting to try SC BBQ. I grew up with Western NC BBQ / Lexington BBQ.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyNoel View Post
Have you had Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg-Leesivlle??...Very good...also, I agree with the person who posted about Duke's BBQ in Ridgeville...very good also.
We have visited Shealy's and it was truly top of the line buffet style BBQ. I enjoyed it very much but the buffet sort of overshadowed the pork. I will say Shealy's has the biggest, most appealing buffet in the state and anybody that hasn't been there needs to make the trip.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 PM

28 posts, read 106,245 times
I agree with much of what has been said:
Little Pigs, Shealy's, and Dukes are great.

Little Pigs doesn't put sauce on their pork which I love. They offer mustard and vinegar sauce on the side. Good stuff.
Shealy's has great fried chicken, immense seating capacity, and a huge buffet selection. Their meatloaf is also the sh*t (I've never been a fan of meatloaf but this stuff is great).

Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 PM

We ate at Doc's BBQ buffet down by the stadium today. The pork was pretty good and the smoked chicken was fantastic. One thing a person in my group enjoyed was that they had collard greens on the buffet. He chowed down like nobody's business. I liked the boneless catfish bites and cocktail sauce that was available along with the corn souffle.

Any more suggestions out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area