Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM

175 posts, read 541,650 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my wife and I are trying to understand the Columbia area for a possible move next summer. I think we have a grasp of some of the neighborhoods in the city we like but we're also drawn to Lake Murray. So some questions--

Is one or the other (Lexington or Irmo) of the lake better for any reason? Does one of the two towns have more going on? Is one an easier commute than the other to downtown? Does one or the other side of the lake have better subdivisions or communities? Is one more conservative than the other (we're not)?

There seem to be lots of nice lakefront homes on both sides but the way they're advertised it seems like there is some assumption that you would want either Irmo side or Lexington side, but we can't figure out why that would be. For us, if we decide against living downtown, a nice house on the lake within easy shot of downtown where we would both work would be wonderful.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,479,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but my wife and I are trying to understand the Columbia area for a possible move next summer. I think we have a grasp of some of the neighborhoods in the city we like but we're also drawn to Lake Murray. So some questions--

Is one or the other (Lexington or Irmo) of the lake better for any reason? Does one of the two towns have more going on? Is one an easier commute than the other to downtown? Does one or the other side of the lake have better subdivisions or communities? Is one more conservative than the other (we're not)?

There seem to be lots of nice lakefront homes on both sides but the way they're advertised it seems like there is some assumption that you would want either Irmo side or Lexington side, but we can't figure out why that would be. For us, if we decide against living downtown, a nice house on the lake within easy shot of downtown where we would both work would be wonderful.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
I'd take a look around the 2 towns to see which one appeals to you. The commute would probably be about the same from both towns and Irmo is probably a little less politically conservative than Lexington, but the city of Columbia is much more liberal than either one. Aesthetically I don't see any difference from the 2 sides of the lake.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 25,948 times
Default Irmo sc vs lexington sc

I have lived on both areas but not on the lake. Lake Murray is a big lake and depending how much you want to spend determines how much closer in to town you will be. From the IRMO side I-26 is the main highway into Columbia. From Lexington there is more ways get into Columbia from I-20. For commuting purposes, Lexington has more options. Irmo does have Harbison Shopping Area but it does get crazy during Christmas time. I worked in that mall and traffic gets crazy. Lexington has enough stores that you don't need to venture out to Harbison. Lexington has a Best Buy, Lowe's, and Krispy Kreme so what else do you need? Both have good schools, but I maybe more partial to Lexington 1 schools since my wife is a school teacher here. If learning a language for kindergarten age kids is a priority for your, Lexington 1 has the language immersion program where they start learning Spanish or French from kindergarten on to high school.
Both are good areas so it all comes down where you find that next home. Good Luck

Nelson Bermas
Lexington SC REALTOR
EXIT
NelsonBermas.com

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM

316 posts, read 972,249 times
The communte to town from the lake would be about the same either way. Irmo will have more shopping and dinning than that side of Lexington, but both have very nice communities that will be comparable to one another.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,960,252 times
for what it's worth, when we relocated here ( and knowing the lake was a major part of our decision so living in Columbia itself was out ), we chose the Chapin area instead of Lexington. We moved from a smaller burb back home, and for us this area gave us what we wanted here and was similar to what we had in WI. As for schools, it is in part of a highly regarded district so that's covered. The short drive into Harbison area ( or Columbia for that matter ) doesn't bother us at all, but we thought Lexington just was a bit to much like already being in the city for us. Just an opinion...

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,479,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Homes Lexington SC View Post
Lexington has a Best Buy, Lowe's, and Krispy Kreme so what else do you need?

You're kidding, I hope, lol.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
You're kidding, I hope, lol.
This does raise the issue of convenience. Is one or the other area better for day-to-day needs like a grocery store, convenience store, drug store, restaurants, etc?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,960,252 times
i'd say all areas cover those needs. There is at least 1 chain pharmacy and grocery store within 5-10 minutes of any location you'd likely move to. Both Irmo and Lexington areas have plenty of both national and local/regional restaraunts. There is a brand new design WM supercenter between Chapin/Irmo; and Lexington has a Target and Wm as well.

We spent 8 days down here last Sept, scouting the area for a possible relocation. The time was well spent; I'd highly suggest a good visit, where you can spend "real" time checking out the city, the burbs, plus do some of the activities you'd do if you did live here.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,250,243 times
Quote:
Is one an easier commute than the other to downtown
When we were looking to buy a couple of years ago this was an issue for me. My highly unscientific research decided that Lexington had the easier commute to downtown. This was primarily due to the many different routes you could take if one of the other was backed up. The neighborhoods I looked at in the Irmo area pretty much made taking I-26 into town the easiest route and that can be slow go some mornings.

If you want an idea on traffic patterns check out the DOT web cams at the different times of day you would be commuting.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
When we were looking to buy a couple of years ago this was an issue for me. My highly unscientific research decided that Lexington had the easier commute to downtown. This was primarily due to the many different routes you could take if one of the other was backed up. The neighborhoods I looked at in the Irmo area pretty much made taking I-26 into town the easiest route and that can be slow go some mornings.

If you want an idea on traffic patterns check out the DOT web cams at the different times of day you would be commuting.
Thanks, do you happen to have the url for the DOT cameras handy? Also, does anyone know of a website that tracks traffic in these areas in real time? I could then look to see how things look during commuting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area