Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,320 times

Advertisements

We are being stationed at Shaw soon and are considering a home in the Willows subdivision.....I have read so many negative things about neighborhoods in Sumter and am a little worried about the area now. I also read to stay away from Cherryvale and it seems the Willows is only 5 miles from there. Any info on whether this is a good neighborhood and/or good location in general as far as the surrounding area outside the neighborhood would be greatly appreciated. Also, we are moving with an 18 year old daughter. Are there any specific areas or places we should tell her to avoid? She is my biggest concern. Even though she is 18 and starting college, she has a mind of her own and doesn't consider danger or crime. I am hoping there are NO under 21 clubs there that she can get into. I am assuming she will be going to the local community college there. Is this school safe or should we consider having her commute to Columbia? Unfortunately, she has to start with community college due to not quite making the requirements for the universities.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Is that off Carter Rd, close to where it intersects Wilson Hall Rd? If so, should be a good neighborhood. When we first moved to the area my wife and I stayed at Companion Court, which is the apartment complex on Carter (the one with The Learning Station out front), and we never had a single problem.

If your daughter stays to the main traffic areas she should be fine. That's a pretty broad statement to make, but Sumters streets are laid out well in that she can get anywhere without deviating from these main roads.

CCTC (Central Carolina Technical College) is pretty decent, from what I gather. My wife got her nursing degree from there and she had classmates that were commuting from Florence & Columbia.

No need to apologize for the questions. We have some good threads on Sumter here, but I'm more than happy to discuss it all you want.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,320 times
Yes that is it...directly across the street from Covenant Place assisted living/retirement home. Not a very large neighborhood I don't think. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM

35 posts, read 75,935 times
Neighborhood should be fine, although there are the normal problems such as the occasional kids hitting mailboxes with bats in the middle of the night, but that is to be expected anywhere. Obviously, Sumter has a fairly high crime rate, but luckily, the higher crime areas tend to keep to themselves. As far as places to avoid, I would suggest to her to shy away from Wal-Mart late on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the "pancake houses" late at night. When the clubs let out Thurs-Sun, that is where everyone goes, and we almost always have issues. Like Ceezer stated, sticking to the main areas will keep her free and clear for the most part. Our problems come from places that she wouldn't belong anyways, such as motels, drug neighborhoods (very easy to spot), etc. Shopping at the mall on a Tuesday evening shouldn't warrant her any problems. As far as clubs go, unfortunately, she will have access to just about all of them, as for those that are 21 and up, they still don't regulate it either way. Xclusions is the one she will most likely find herself drawn to, but even if she sneaks into there, it will probably only happen once or twice before she gets the picture that it isn't for her. Fights break out nearly every night at some point in time or another, and generally, people get pepper-sprayed. That happens one time, I am pretty sure she won't go back. All in all, the neighborhood you are looking at is just fine, and the general area you are wanting to be in should serve you well. As Ceezer stated, CCTC will do well for your daughter too, although she may even want to try USC-Sumter as they sometimes have lenient enrollment policies.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 38,634 times
abigail222,
Willows is just fine. I had a business down the street for 6 years. Sumter has astronomical crime stats. It is 90% on the south side in the hood and drug related. I have been here 16 yeras retired from Shaw and never had an issue. So don't let the crime stuff scare you. If you need any thing or answers etc I would be glad to assist.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 PM

83 posts, read 276,439 times
CCTC is a safe school, but live in Dalzell or other good areas where G.I.s congregate near the base. USC is literally next door, so check them both out.

Avoid Cherryvale, but you don't need to go on the other side of 76 from Shaw for anything, ever, so it isn't a problem.

Sumter nightlife has always been fecal, that will never change, and the solution I chose was never to hang out IN Sumter. There is no reason to bother. Live close to Shaw, go to Columbia for fun.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM

65 posts, read 200,617 times
Im in a neighborhood on the West side of the base near 441 and 378 and we love it besides the occasional noise from the jets it is a quite place to live and never had any problems with crime. I chose this area because it is 2 min form Shaw and an easy commute to Columbia.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Are you on the south side of 441, MI.SC? I live on the West side, too, though up 441 a bit (halfway between 378 & 521). I'm also 2 minutes from Shaw but never have any jet noise. I guess where I'm situated is out of the flight path.

When my wife left last year she moved into one of those houses in the Wintergreen neighborhood on the East side of base, right next to Shaw Park (the one with the RC tracks, skate park & soccer/rugby pitches). It's right at the end of the flightline and she constantly has jets thundering over her place. She works nights, too, so they're rumbling over while she's trying to sleep. That's gotta suck! ;c)

Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM

65 posts, read 200,617 times
Were on the North side of the 378/441 intersection so we get the occasional jet over the house during the day. It was noticeable when we first moved in but you get used to them and rarely notice them with the AC on or when you gone during the day. Its not like a commercial airport where the planes come in low and for a long time. The fighters are past the house before you think of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area