Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 36,570 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm excited to be moving to Columbia to start grad school at USC in January. It seems like no matter how many times I return to my native Ohio, the South keeps dragging me back! :-) After living in Jackson, MS, Louisville and Prestonsburg, KY and Tyler, TX (well, TX isn't really the South, it's more of it's own country), it seems like I'm just not destined to stay in Yankee-land.

All these relocating threads have been really helpful, so thanks!

One question, though- where is USC's fraternity row? I'm apartment hunting and I don't want to fall in love with a place over the internet only to arrive and find it's in the middle of frat hell. Or maybe I'm worrying too much about it. Ohio State's Greek houses cover several blocks of a number of streets on campus, but it is a gi-freaking-normous university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
The university's fraternity row (I think they call is Greek Village) is between Blossom St. and the Olympia neighborhood and is pretty much its own self-contained neighborhood. It is depicted in this shot in the upper right adjacent to the open lawn parcels:

(shot courtesy of Firefox from UrbanPlanet)

Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasarah View Post

One question, though- where is USC's fraternity row? I'm apartment hunting and I don't want to fall in love with a place over the internet only to arrive and find it's in the middle of frat hell. Or maybe I'm worrying too much about it. Ohio State's Greek houses cover several blocks of a number of streets on campus, but it is a gi-freaking-normous university.
Yeah, Ohio State has about 3 times as many students as South Carolina has here in Columbia. Coming from Ohio, when my friends/family back north ask what the city is like, I tell them it's basically a 'mini-Columbus'. They are both capitals, lots of state jobs, both have major health/insurance companies (Nationwide-Columbus, Blue Cross Blue Shield-Columbia), both have their state's flagship universities, and both have pretty stable economies despite the fact that each state overall has struggled through the recession more than most other states have. That's just a few of the similarities. One major difference as you know from living in the south before is of course the climate! Which I am totally down with, do not miss the long gray winters of Ohio! And of course Columbus has about 1.8 million people while Columbia is just over 700,000.

Seeing that you spent some time in Louisville, I would say that the University of Louisville is more comparable (size-wise) to Univ. of SC than Ohio State is. Actually, South Carolina is very similar to Kentucky in that it has 2 major universities and a lot of smaller ones beneath it - UL & UK vs. Clemson & USC.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Coming from Ohio, when my friends/family back north ask what the city is like, I tell them it's basically a 'mini-Columbus'.
So do I.

Go Bucks!

*Edit - The difference is, I've been around here for 13 years (various areas, 5-6 in the Midlands) so I dread the long, miserable Summers and miss the seasonal weather in Fall & Winter (yes, even the snow). 80 degrees on Christmas day actually sucks, in my opinion

Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Buckeye- thanks for the info. That's sort of what I gathered through my research and the time I spent down there for my audition at USC, but it's nice to know I wasn't completely off the wall.

Ceezer-
Having lived through Hurricaine Katrina while I was in Mississippi (and just generally dealing with the incredibly hot & humid weather down in the delta), I am well aware that everything has it's price.

I'd love it if I could have winter from like November 20 to January 5. Just enough time to get all snuggled in with the family for the holidays. I did love wearing sandals all winter long, though.

I'm so looking forward to that first glass of true sweet tea. And so dreading the giant giant roaches. I never knew they could fly until I went south, and the first time one dive-bombed me I screamed my freaking head off and couldn't stop shuddering.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
If you go the South Carolina topic on Collegeconfidential.com, there is a thread about all the area apartments that cater to the students. It lists all the pros/cons of each. I'm sure you'll find out which are close to Greek Village.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:37 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
So do I.

Go Bucks!

*Edit - The difference is, I've been around here for 13 years (various areas, 5-6 in the Midlands) so I dread the long, miserable Summers and miss the seasonal weather in Fall & Winter (yes, even the snow). 80 degrees on Christmas day actually sucks, in my opinion
I think 80 degrees on Christmas is a bit of a stretch for Columbia! It's not even 80 degrees now and we're still 7 weeks away. Christmas is typically around 60 during the day, mid-30s at night. I'm willing to put up w/the heat & humidity of July & August for days like today in November when it's 70 & sunny here while it's topping out at 45 back in NE Ohio! To me, SC's weather beats Ohio's 10 out of the 12 months of the year. July & August in Ohio is much more bearable than here, but we also don't have days in January like I remember when it was 10 below w/a foot of snow on the ground.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Lynchburg- Thanks. I'm actually trying NOT to live in a building that caters to students. In my wildest dreams I'll find a 1 or 2 bedroom single family home for less than $600 that's less than a 15 minute drive from campus. I know it's far fetched, but I'll be happy with an apartment near but definitely not on campus.

I'd rather live in an artsier neighborhood, but it seems like rent's really high in Shandon. I think I'll journey down in two weeks or so to make an apartment-hunting trip. On-line is great, but pictures can be deceiving.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Oh, I knew that but if you know where the students live, you'll know which to avoid!

My daughter's in a sorority there and lives in Greek Villagewhich is right next to the Strom.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area