Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM

113 posts, read 517,347 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Lexington from Irmo. There are about 10-12 different haircut/barber shops/ salons on East/West Main St. within a few blocks.

What is up with that? Is Lexington populated by werewolves or something?

Downtown seems to have nothing but barbershops,lawyers,and dentists.

It could definitely use more restaurants.

It does seem that they are trying to make it more artsy. Which would be fine. I would love to see downtown add some more updated interesting shops.

Anyone know of any plans for downtown Lexington?

We liked the Old Mill. It is very quaint and we look forward to trying the Cotton Grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM

193 posts, read 541,428 times
My husband and I tried the Cotton Grill a few days after it opened, what a mistake! We eat out regularly and aren't difficult to please. He ordered lamb and I got salmon. Both were extremely underdone. Hubby generally likes thing medium rare to rare but I could have sworn the food was still moving. We both worked in restaurants before and thus hate to send things back... but it was our only option. They made us new platters no problem, but they were still so rare! We could not even eat it. We were compensated and left.

Hopefully they get their act together because it was a huge dissapointment. Food was also overpriced for quality.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
We just moved to Lexington from Irmo. There are about 10-12 different haircut/barber shops/ salons on East/West Main St. within a few blocks.

It does seem that they are trying to make it more artsy. Which would be fine. I would love to see downtown add some more updated interesting shops.

We liked the Old Mill. It is very quaint and we look forward to trying the Cotton Grill.

my DH & i are in definite agreement with you on the main street. it has so much potential to be so much more, but sadly isn't. i'm not sure if it has to do with just the economy or if poliltics are in play. main street is screaming for more restaurants, shops & businesses (locally owned would be fantastic). i think if the sidewalks were just a bit wider, it would make a great cafe scene (al fresco, of course)

but don't get me wrong, i love living in lexington.

Last edited by thechappells; 12-10-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM

175 posts, read 543,948 times
Quote:

Given that you've lived in both Irmo and now Lexington, how would you compare then (aside from the hairiness). Should I infer from your post that Irmo has more places to eat, and maybe some sidewalk dining? My wife and I are trying to learn about the area before we arrive for house-hunting in Jan so that we can narrow down where we look.

Any info appreciated!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Lexington has a traditional, attractive downtown, although many would just as soon it be bulldozed to make way for their drive to and from their suburban homes west of town, while Irmo is 100% suburbia with no downtown core. I think of the two suburbs (Irmo and Lexington) as having comparable shopping and restaurants.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 PM

I personally prefer Lexington to Irmo but my lady prefers Irmo to Lexington. It cut my drive time in half so that was a big factor. The Harbison traffic and the traffic on I26 drove me crazy! As far as shopping and restaurants I would give a slight edge to Irmo. Lexington does have an old fashioned downtown which is quaint and could be great someday. I agree that some nice outdoor cafes and things would be a great addition to Lexington. Irmo just feels more....typical generic suburbia?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM

175 posts, read 543,948 times
Quote:
I personally prefer Lexington to Irmo but my lady prefers Irmo to Lexington. It cut my drive time in half so that was a big factor. The Harbison traffic and the traffic on I26 drove me crazy! As far as shopping and restaurants I would give a slight edge to Irmo. Lexington does have an old fashioned downtown which is quaint and could be great someday. I agree that some nice outdoor cafes and things would be a great addition to Lexington. Irmo just feels more....typical generic suburbia?
Interesting. How long does it take you to commute now from Lexington? And is that into downtown? I'm trying to draw a circle around downtown that extends out 30 min commuting time.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Interesting. How long does it take you to commute now from Lexington? And is that into downtown? I'm trying to draw a circle around downtown that extends out 30 min commuting time.
I would say 20minutes.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:55 AM

45 posts, read 192,319 times
There are VERY FEW real barber shops left anymore, perhaps you prefer going to a salon to get your haircut. Barber shops (real ones) are a dying art. Great clips, cost cutters, etc. are not considered barber shops and are trained to get you in and out with a "salon feel" . Enjoy them while they are still in existence. If you have never went to a real barbershop, I suggest you try one. Like they have always said "Real men go to barber shops, the rest go to salons." Oh, and yes, I am a barber.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM

217 posts, read 417,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberStudent View Post
There are VERY FEW real barber shops left anymore, perhaps you prefer going to a salon to get your haircut. Barber shops (real ones) are a dying art. Great clips, cost cutters, etc. are not considered barber shops and are trained to get you in and out with a "salon feel" . Enjoy them while they are still in existence. If you have never went to a real barbershop, I suggest you try one. Like they have always said "Real men go to barber shops, the rest go to salons." Oh, and yes, I am a barber.
I agree a real barbershop is a must needed escape for men to express ourselves and talk freely. I despise the barber shop and saloon combos. A presence of a woman in a barbershop takes away from the vibe and kills the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area