Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times

Advertisements

Oh, you didn't say when you'd be in Cola! There's a Copper River Grill and Bonefish out on Harbison Blvd near Columbiana Mall. Harper's in Five Points is reliable. Personally, I'd wait at Diane's but it could be a long wait!

Have fun anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM

12,736 posts, read 18,531,369 times
Restaurante Devino on Gervais, Columbia Museum of Art, State Museum, State House, Robert Mills House, the Three Rivers Greenway, Trustus Theater, USC Horseshoe, Riverbanks Zoo (over 1 million visitors in 2009), whatever's playing at the Koger Center when you're here, whatever's playing at Colonial Life Arena when you're here, Finlay Park, whatever festival is going on when you're here, bar hop, pick up a Free Times

Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 AM

Come back -- tell us what you enjoyed!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,058,797 times
I am so incredibly sorry for the delay in my response.

We absolutely loved Columbia, and enjoyed our 1 night there! We willdefinitely be back again. I was particularly surprised by what an easy drive it was from Union County, NC. I believe it took us a little over 2 hours, which means we could easily make it a day trip.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Bush River Rd, Columbia. We chose this specific lodging because we really, really wanted a room with a whirlpool. We waited until the last minute on these accomodations and this is what was available.

Well, not only was the staff incredibly friendly, the room was very nice, very clean, and a good size. We were more than comfortable.

I'd ordered tix for one of the behind the scenes tours at the Riverbanks Zoo so that was our first stop (even before checking in) early that morning! I almost didn't order the tour because I knew my other half would only get a few hours of sleep before we had to get on the road, and I was terribly afraid we'd actually oversleep or be too tired to leave early enough. I'm so glad that we did the tour!

It was incredible, very informative/educational and just generally, a lot of fun. It was the Penguin Tour however, they have different tours avail, at different rates, offered at diff times. This one was $25 pp. We were pleasantly surprised to find that it was all adults! There were 10 of us total alhough they take a max of 12. Two people didn't show, and it's just as well because it was a comfortable number, and a good pace.

The guide was very personable. Funny thing is the perspective gained. On one hand, especially when you're travelling as a family, you're grumbling about how expensive everything is (because we paid admission to the zoo and for the tour tix) but then while on the tour your mouth drops wide open to hear how much is spent on produce annually to feed the animals, or the zoo's utility bills. Things you don't consider ... Well, after hearing it all I felt like we were getting this good time at quite a bargain!

The highlight was definitely getting to pet Ricky the Penguin. The pictures we took are priceless. I created an awesome book on Shutterfly of our weekend and everything looks so fabulous, we get to relive it over and over again (of course, my kids are tortured by the whole thing because they were left behind for once!).

The our was scheduled to last an hour, went closer to 1 hr 20 mins. They provided us with coupons to the cafe and the food was pleasant enough. Our qs totaled $6 off and we ordered (1) BBQ pork which comes with fries and drink and (1) Girlled chicken with fries and drink.

We spent close to 2 more hours exploring the zoo on our own and I was very impressed. We surely look forward to going back with the kids. I missed giraffe feeding time and was disappointed! The sea lions aren't there right now because the zoo couldn't afford proper keeping of them but they have a 7 year financial plan to bring them back. A lot of people inquired after them.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,058,797 times
Oh I could scream here I had a very detailed post on the evening and dinner then I lost it! ARRRGHHHHH! I'm going to try and collect myself and write it up again.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Glad you had fun!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,448 times
I think the inn a USc is great place to stay. You can eat out in blue marlin. For a change try out indian restaurant called panjabi dhawaba for dinner (1201 Bush River Road, Columbia, SC‎ - (803) 798-8011‎)
or mexican ( Eric's San Jose Mexican Restaurant, [url=http://www.ericssanjose.com]Eric's San Jose[/url], 6118 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia - (803) 783-6650)

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 50,382 times
I heard a rumor that Panjabi Dhawaba moved West down St Andrews, can anyone confirm this? I've been wanting to make it their on one of our Cola trips, but it never works out. Not trying to hijack the thread!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 AM

124 posts, read 526,710 times
I'm late to respond, but this article might be good for future reference:

Can't Miss Columbia Attractions: Itinerary for a One-Day Visit to South Carolina’s Capital

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area